TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Is this normal?
#1 Parent englishgibson - 2010-03-02
Re: Is this normal?

Rose, I'd follow Turnoi's advice. However, if there are some hostilities in between you and the employer now, i'd be careful approaching him/her/them. If you aren't on a Z visa, leave after the payday, but if you are you have to consider negotiating. Then, one month pro notice with reasons and the manager's signature might do the job, although a "Letter of Release" is sometimes helpful...depending where you want to go after.

Again, this all is NORMAL and it has happened to me too, although my employer compromised on that paper work then. The unexpected age groups, classes or new students in class also happens regularly in other mainland schools. Some foreign teachers are rented out to other schools as well and I have not only seen that but experienced it. Renting often happens when some schools do not have a license and, yes, renting is not so legal on mainland. If renting out is your case, you may also put that in your resignation reasons then.

It's stunning that kids at early age learn suchawrong approach to education in this country.

Cheers and beers to our fine gigs on mainland

#2 Parent Justin - 2010-03-02

That seems ridiculous. Do you have a Z visa? Contracts between foreign teacher and school tend to have a different meaning in Asia. In the west a contract is a binding agreement that is subject to change only after mutual agreement. In Asia a single party (but not you, lol) may change a contract and you are expected to go along with it. Normally its not a big deal but if they are having you teach in a different school, different age groups, and expect you to have lesson plans for the next 6 months for each student, I would say its probably best to just leave unless they pay you accordingly. Sounds like they have a lot of issues, its going to be a tough fight to make those demands reasonable.

Do you have a Z visa? If not its very easy for you to leave bad employers behind because they can't pursue you as they are breaking Chinese law. If you have a Z visa, its going to be a little more difficult and I can't offer any advise on it.

#3 Parent Rose - 2010-03-02

Thanks for your replies.

The main problem is that the job is so far away from what was described, no school as such existed, the owners needed a draw card in the form of an exotic looking foreigner.There is no doubt I was chosen for my appearance rather than qualifications. Being new at this I was prepared for children of similar age and level but instead they are all different ages and levels, no two the same, and more are added almost daily.

#4 Parent englishgibson - 2010-03-01

Rose, you haven't been "conned". If it's normal or not is hard to say as standards around the country vary greatly, but I believe it's safe to say that this country's freakish on CONTROL. On one hand, it demonstrates how well it can control some affairs/issues, and then on the other hand it neither can control the quality of its products nor the stats coming out of its offices.

On topic, the education is a well controlled field and all have to acquire the uniformed views for their future careers in the country. It all begins at the early age in classrooms. Local schools/centers get their licenses based on what their curriculum and schedule are and teachers are often required to submit their plans. Employers want to protect themselves from the authorities' and parents are to see what they pay for.

Having said that, I wonder how this has really worked as many schools are so disorganized with respect to any plans and they usually schedule and/or change schedules at 5 to 12. And, when any holidays come and we are to take time off, we also get to know at 5 to 12, don't we? So, how does their planning really work? Or, do they just want it from us?

A word of advice for Rose from is that she should prepare a contingency plan in case she is unable to carry out some of her ideas. Say for example, your amount of classes gets cut or your support fails to deliver. These are just some of the factors for which you'll most likely have to improvise later.

Cheers and beers to kindergartens with or without course books where there's plenty of material to help teachers deliver some of the best of their plans

Rose - 2010-03-01
Is this normal?

Hi,
This is my first teaching job after a change in career and I am very unhappy with it. I took a job in China advertised as Kindergarten Teacher but have only one hour a week of kindergarten class.The rest is private tuition of many children of varying ages and levels. I am expected to provide detailed lesson plans for each child 6 months in advance and give a written report of progress after every lesson.I am drowning in paper work. Is this normal?
Perhaps I am wrong but I feel I have been conned.
Rose.

Return to Index › Is this normal?

Go to another board -