TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: The hard business of running a crappy training centre
#1 Parent Turino - 2010-03-19
Re: The hard business of running a crappy training centre

It's all about money,isn't it?The public esucation sector is underfunded,to the extent that class sizes are at least double what they are in the West.Despite said sector being run as a shambles,it can still produce some very excellent
students,most of them the offspring of poor villagers!
Meanwhile,those Chinese parents,who have managed somehow to accumulate wealth,use it to try and give their spoiled offspring a headstart in their education.Some
FT's choose to teach in crappy training centres that have been opened by dishonest Chinese out to fleece the rich.They succeed in doing so,but not with MY assistance.As for the crappy muppet shows they put on in the name of education for their spoiled students,I do not want to be part of that,acting the giddy goat in the process! After all,I'm a teacher,not an entertainer!

#2 Parent englishgibson - 2010-03-19

Once more, the private education ill-prepares much fewer students than the public one in China. Looking at varieties of subjects (not only English), one can see there are scores of issues as students get mostly prepared for exams to successfully accomplish their academic programs and that never mind the schools crappy books. Then, many such "graduates" out of high schools find it difficult to follow in the subjects of their choices as the "faith" or the lame system chooses the students that score higher in some subjects of the public uni's (recruiting department's) choice. What a no brainer that the local higher educational system chooses subjects for the students (victims).

I'll get back on this one but i've got to go now.

Cheers and beers and i;ll talk to you in a few hours again :)

#3 Parent Turino - 2010-03-18

As for the "hard business of running a crappy training centre" I would say it's easy money. So sad that the parents are being duped into believing that they are getting value for money. And I believe that this also applies to universities. Having said that, employers in the UK are complaining that graduates need significant training, whilst others are stating that school leavers lack functional numeracy and literacy skills. So, " ill-prepared" is a relative term.

Agreed,but from a teacher's perspective,working at a crappy training centre is not easy money.Though the class sizes may be small,the teaching can be very challenging due to the learners ranging from young children through primary school pupils to secondary school pupils to absolute beginners,in mixed ability classes,with parents sitting in as judges and new faces attending as prospective new students!Not only that,but you could end up losing end-of-contract payments,such as air fare reimbursement in the event of the crappy training centre you work for suddenly going bankrupt,or be cheated by your boss in any event.As for what you have said about UK employers,it's an old chestnut.In fact,as you also say,everything is relative.But as UK teachers,of which I was one,know only too well,the UK education system still produces school leavers who have learned practically nothing during their informative years.And China will continue to do so too,no matter how much money is spent on trying to improve the education system here!

If we, as teachers, can forget the systemic failures and give the best we can to our students every lesson, every day, then this will have more effect than stating the bleeding obvious.

Yep,but if we as teachers in China are shabbily treated,and cheated,by our employers,and by the Foreign Affairs Qffice,why the hell should we care?And what's bleeding obvious to you is not necessarily bleeding obvious to all of your fellow FT's!And not all teachers live to work,just as in any other kind of employment.So long as there are so many problems here,China will continue to get mainly the bottom of the barrel as its foreign teachers,and,quite frankly,that's all it deserves!

Return to Index › Re: The hard business of running a crappy training centre

Go to another board -