TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: recruiters
#1 Parent englishgibson - 2010-03-22
Re: recruiters

not only a chinese based recruiter may have dirt in between his/her nails. recently, i applied for a position at a uni (don't want to name it now) to teach its so called canadian foundation program. well, the application had a few rather unnecessary requests of me and so i dared to question the lady during the phone interview. my issues were; social insurance number (canadian), driver's licence number. never mind the fact that she called me from toronto canada and did not know what to dial to china. how could that be when according to her, she has been recruiting for over 10 years for chinese unis. asking further questions about the employment contract and if i could send my credentials to the uni directly triggered her hostilities with me. she said that i was the first one to have such questions. so, watch out for all recruiters, the foreign ones too!
cheers and beers

#2 Parent Smitty - 2010-03-22
Re: recruiters

I would not trust any Chinese-based recruiter without first physically seeing and confirming their business license and tax certificate, physical office address, and seeing the front and back of their Chinese government issued national ID card. Many of them collect and sell data on the black market and they make a good living at selling ID kits to people wanting credentials, credit histories, etc. Over the years, I have never found one reputable "recruiter" anywhere in China. Most of them pull bait and switch tactics trying to collect FT's information to build large unsecured data bases. For example, some of them claim to have positions that pay "up to 37,500 RMB per month" which is not true. After they lure in FT's, a few months later the FT will get some email from someone they never head of before offering them a position that pays 6,000 RMB per month. Another tactic is to post jobs for "September" and once again they collect resumes and data. However the September jobs never come around and in fact there never were any positions. What they were really doing was collecting data for the illegal importation of cars that are usually stolen from places like Los Angeles, and smuggled out of the USA via container ships and then they arrive at the ports in China where a great deal of corruption and paperwork transfers take place. Shortly thereafter, some unknowing FT is the proud new owner of a HUMMER. The Chinese buyer avoids much of the duty tax and the car is tagged with black license plates in the foreigner's name. The moment there is a crash, and in China, there usually is, the foreigner's AZZ is on the hook. This sets up the FT for civil and criminal charges. Many illegal Chinese living in the USA and Canada also need that data from your personal history to remain living in the USA where they assume your ID and is well known by Homeland Security.

Moreover, most "recruiters" don't get into contract disputes between their clients and the foreigner. Most "recruiters" offer low wage positions that most anyone could find themselves and most "recruiters" don't actually know anything about the schools they are recruiting for. There are of course rare exceptions to this but in all of the years that I have been in China, those exceptions are far and few between.

Return to Index › Re: recruiters

Go to another board -