TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › A degree in uncommon sense!
#1 Parent No degree for me! - 2010-03-29
Re: A degree in uncommon sense!

How do you show a university in China that you are qualified to teach? Well, there has never been any formal sort of testing or examination if that is what you mean. I suppose that the uni sees my resume and notices that I have taught at several other universities, that must be how they judge if I am "qualified" or not. When I first came to China I taught at middle school, I must say that I was hopeless at it, on top of that I did not like it. I had taught adults before back home ( in textile industry ) , but it took me some time to adapt to the large ( sometimes huge ) university classes in China.

My previous work and life experience is what I believe has made me become a good teacher in China, I can relate to people of all races,and people from many different socio-economic backgrounds. I have been both rich and poor a few times. Asian people really need to change this "degree is everything" mindset that they foolishly cling to. This situation is worst of all in Thailand, a country with nice peole, but full of degree snobs who often know absolutely nothing ( tell me about anything useful that has come out of Thailand recently, except it's women ofcourse! ) Thailand lost all of it's most talented FT's many years ago because of a degree mentality.

As for China, whether it's FT's have a degree or not is a non-issue, a red herring. And you are right, there are many college professors who can't teach. I would also like to point out that at the university where the dumb American was briefly employed there was also a professor who told me I should use the text book I was given because it was "written by a professor". He was not impresed when I told him that does not mean much in my experience!

#2 Parent Juan Isaac - 2010-03-29

It's hard for me to judge you since you seem to know what you are doing at the university. I do have a university degree and I do not feel qualified to teach at a university, in China or anywhere else. The Chinese have a saying "White cat, black cat it does not matter as long as they can catch the mouse." This applies to you, since degrees in ability and common sense are not given out anywhere except by "Life University."
I am curious but how did you show, or what did you do to show the university that you were qualified to teach? I know that in the states some technical fields are taught by professionals with many years in the trade, many without degrees. Do you consider yourself an English technician, or a college professor? I am just curious, and am not trying to demean your work or what you know. I've had Phd. college professors who could not teach worth squat. Take care.

#3 Parent Raoul Duke - 2010-03-27

Wise words, indeed. And absolutely on the money.

I've known kickass teachers that had no degree...and blithering idiots with a boatload of degrees. The lack of a college degree doesn't necessarily make you a bad teacher.

But these days, no degree probably DOES make you an illegal teacher, unable to acquire the absolutely vital Residence Permit by honest means.
Being illegal is just a terrible, terrible idea. Please...DON'T GO THERE.

#4 Parent Oldtimer - 2010-03-27
Re: Sometimes though new guys/gals need help, too

I did try to help out that useless teacher at my former uni, but I was teaching 26 classes a week there.....

Most Chinese unis schedule an FT to teach somewhere between 14 and 18 classes/week. I wonder why your uni lumbered you with such a heavy workload. Is this a new trend in China, to save money by hiring fewer FT's and keeping them busier? Hell's bells, I hope the state education sector isn't succumbing to capitalisic tendencies! I came to China to get away from that kind of crap.

#5 Parent Dragonized - 2010-03-27

In that case, it would seem as if the guy really didn't possess the necessary skills to even maintain a normal, independent living. Perhaps the United States is a better place for him as psychological help is more readily available, he certainly has issues it seems. You probably did your best, so no worries there.

#6 Parent No degree for me! - 2010-03-27

I did try to help out that useless teacher at my former uni, but I was teaching 26 classes a week there, I could not always help him out. He was also lazy, I tried to teach him some Chinese, he did not want to learn it. I told him what to do when his phone ran out of credit but he just panicked, I had to go to China Mobile an recharge his account for him. I also gave him 700RMB which he spent on alcohol.

That felow was an academic who knew nothing!

#7 Parent Dragonized - 2010-03-27

Also I think that sometimes people just need to get over the "jitters". I remember when I first came back to China to teach I was nervous as well. However through my own "feel" of the class and practice I got more confidence in myself and the teaching came naturally. Maybe I can teach because I have the inborn ability but being in a foreign country halfway around the world can be a frightening experience. As adults though we are expected to keep those emotions pent up. I know for a fact that not all countries are necessarily good at giving new teachers the "warmth" and "family" atmosphere. I certainly know for a fact that the university I was at didn't give peopel a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. When the local management can't be counted on, other foreign teachers should take it up themselves and help the new guy/gal out. I know I was lucky enough to have made a couple of really good friends here who helped me not so much with my teaching as giving me comraderie so I could go into a classroom knowing that I was in an environment where I was familiar with people around there, giving me confidence to teach in that setting. That's all.

#8 Parent stumped - 2010-03-26

Highly intelligent people with excellent academic qualifications do not necessarily make the best teachers, in my opinion. Many of them are so brainy that they can not see the potential problems that their students will meet in what is being taught. Too clever by half to be a good teacher, one might say.
That said, I just thought it worth mentioning that that American had taught illegally at your university. Fact is, a Z visa is only permission to enter mainland China to teach, not actually to start doing so. You should not start teaching until your Residence Permit has been procured for you by your employer.Your well-qualified friend could have refused to teach until he was given his Residence Permit! Of course, that wouldn't have gone down well with his employer, but the law is the law! One could say your university pulled a fast one by not getting him an RP. That would mean his Z visa would revert back to an L, valid for 30 days from its date of issue, severely reducing any options he might have had due to time constraints!
It's about time that Chinese employers started following their own country's visa and work permit laws. They are bending them to their advantage, and contrary to that of their foreign employees!
To sum up, no teaching should be done till you've gotten your Residence Permit.
Visa type, L or F or Z, is irrelevant in that regard. But of course, you can't get an RP without first having a Z.
And Hong Kong replacing L's with Z's for mainland. Can't understand the logic behind that - it's got me stumped. What's wrong with provincial capitals doing it, as they used to do before? After all, they're part of China too!
As for your former colleague's air ticket home, I'd have thought the cost of that should have been reimbursed by the employer. But in China, there are too many unscrupulous and dishonest employers, even in the state sector!

No degree for me! - 2010-03-26
A degree in uncommon sense!

Last year I was working at a university in a large city in central China. I had been there for about a month when I was told thayt a new teacher who was very well educated would be arriving soon from the USA to teach there. I met him a week later, he was actually a nice guy, and he offered to show me his resume. He had never taught before, but he had degrees in literature and linguistics. He arrived on a Z-visa and for two weeks he did nothing, there were no classes for him. Then he was given his schedule ( he has signed the contract by this time )

Shortly after that he was given the textbook. He said to me "This textbook is like reading double dutch, I can't undrstand it , how am I going to teach?" I thought that was not a good sign. Then I told him to create his own lesson plan if he did not like nor couldn't understand the textbook. "How do I do a lesson plan?", he said. By then I was feeling worried for him. But I was very busy at that time, so I said I would talk about it later. Several days later he was scheduled to begin his first class. He told me that he was "very anxious". When he went to his first class I was also teaching in the same building and happened to to have finished my classes for the day.

He asked if would discreetly observe his class and later comment on it. I stood about twenty metres away from the classroom door ( it was wide open, hot and no air-con ) I pretended I was sending text messages, tried hard to listen, and looked in the direction of the classroom every now and then. He told the students where he was from, talked about his home state for a while, asked who each student was, and then he shook hands with each of them.

What hapened next was a complete disaster for him! He asked the students what they wanted to do next. He stood there like a stunned mullet, and the students were staring at him intensely. "C'mon guys, help me out here, it's my first day", he said. That was excruciating for me to watch, I can't imagine how this American "teacher" must have felt! He then asked a male student " How about you, what do you want to learn, what should I do?".

Afterward he said to me that he was f....d in there, couldn't teach, and should never have come to China. The following morning I found him hiding in his university hotel room. He seemed to me to be pretending to be sick, presumably because he was too scared to teach his classes. By the way, he had a panic attack once when his phone ran out of credit ( he did not know any Chinese ) Things came to a head, when, not only did the university refrain from processing his RP, but, even worse for him, he did not have enough money to fly home. So he had to plead with his family to fund his ticket back. But they would not give him the money, because they said that he was weak, and that he was a "quitter".

I pleaded on his behalfwith his family to buy a ticket because his visa was about to expire and he was starting to panic seriously. That stupid university employed someone just because they had a few fancy bits of paper, thus ending up with egg on it's face!

I know that someone with five years teaching experience and no degree would have been a much better choice!

Return to Index › A degree in uncommon sense!

Go to another board -