TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › dress code
#1 Parent mi amor - 2010-05-08
Re: dress code

I am from The Philippines , been teaching here in China for five years to different schools. I didn't have much expectations when I came here though I admit, I have several frustrations. I had lots of experience in the field of Education back in my country. My experienced taught me a lot how to become a good employee, when to keep silent or when to fight back to these frustrations. When I had my first job in China, I tried to have a good relationship with my boss and did my job satisfactorily. I remembered discussing with him how he should improve his school and told him face to face he had crap books and obsolete curriculum. Well, he didn't listen to me but renewed my contract still. He promised me a 500rmb increase but didn't honor it. That was too much so I ran away. Through my e- mail, his secretary wrote me a message my boss would blacklisted me if i'm not going back, hah! I knew I caused him big scandal, his dear foreign teacher left him and my students really were asking for me.
Well, I got new job right away but then my salary was delayed most of the time. I complained all the time but everytime the management would ask me to have more patience, i would keep calm. Tried to finish my contract. Now, I am teaching in my second year in a uni, again it's not perfect. And again, I will try to balance my life in China. Yes, teaching here is great and there are more good things my employer do to me rather than bad things, so why complain all the time?

#2 Parent Rin - 2010-05-03

Socks and sandals should not be allowed anywhere!!
I feel embarrassed when I see my countrymen dress like this!

#3 Parent sandalman - 2010-04-28

Surely you jest..........Not even Birkenstocks and ugly socks?

Well, if you're serious, you need to lighten up a little. If you're not serious, thanks for the laugh.

#4 Parent Turino - 2010-04-28

The Styleman poster in China has taught so many students English so well that they have become excellent young people who are are pretty good at English. He looks and acts the part in class - that's the difference between him and the hordes of lizards, dragons, and hypocrites who are here to be part of the scam that goes under the name of education! Jesus sandals, nosiree, I wouldn't be caught dead in 'em!

Have a great day, and best wishes!

Turino

#5 Parent Andrew - 2010-04-27

I've noticed that those who aren't actually qualified or experienced quickly learn that if they keep their heads down and just plod their way through their classes, they will likely be assured of job security.

I've noticed this too. They smile at everyone, never criticize anything, distrust their fellow FT's, and some even play games like'Hangman' with all their classes, a great way to pass the time in class while becoming poular with students. A very insecure few of them will even do overtime work for free. I think this kind of foreign teacher may be called a snivelling, groveling weasel. They are more common than you might think.

On the other hand, those with training and experience are more apt to notice the deficits of this education system and are therefore more likely to earn the wrath of the administrators by speaking out against those deficits.

I'm that kind of foreign teacher. By pointing out the deficiencies in the education system, and by preventing myself being financially ripped off re the terms and conditions of my teaching contracts, I manage to earn myself the reputation of beibg a troublemaker wherever I teach. So,I have to move on, like a desert nomad. But China is vast enough to allow me to experience living and teaching in different environments, as there are always schools and colleges that crave white FT's. I think you may describe me rather accurately as a crocodile. They are also more common here than you might think - still here despite being disliked by their fellow Chinese teachers, including the FAO, and avoided by laowei SGW's who do not wish to be badly thought of.

#6 Parent Duckling - 2010-04-27

I've noticed that those who aren't actually qualified or experienced quickly learn that if they keep their heads down and just plod their way through their classes, they will likely be assured of job security.

Those from the Philippines or the African continent are especially careful to keep in the good books. They tend to agree to everything their employers ask them to do, and will bear contract violations without mentioning a word about them. Furthermore, they will sing their school's praises in order to make the headmaster happy. They wish to teach in China for as long as possible - they know that foreign teachers here have good jobs and plenty of money in their pockets.

#7 Parent sandalman - 2010-04-27

"Too many foreign teachers here are not real teachers. That's why they don't know how to dress and behave as real teachers do."

True enough, Andrew; however, I think we can all agree that the issue of FTs here not being real teachers is less of an issue than it may be in other countries. After all, most schools here aren't really interested in whether or not their English speaking teachers are credentialed; moreover, I think it could be said that in a vast number of cases they would prefer that their FTs not be especially experienced. I've noticed that those who aren't actually qualified or experienced quickly learn that if they keep their heads down and just plod their way through their classes, they will likely be assured of job security. On the other hand, those with training and experience are more apt to notice the deficits of this education system and are therefore more likely to earn the wrath of the administrators by speaking out against those deficits.

Nevertheless, I doubt that the fact that some teachers aren't "real teachers" has much to do with their personal choices in terms of how they dress. Let's face it, some people just have a more relaxed attitude about such things. In addition, I've known a few teachers that you would apparently consider slovenly that are actually pretty good at what they do. Simply stated, then, clothes don't always make the man in this context.

Now, personally, maybe because I'm a little older than most FTs here, I do give a bit of a hoot about how I am perceived by the Chinese staff. I endeavor to dress and act like a gentleman, but that's a personal choice. Actually, I've even had some of my male students over the years comment that they would appreciate it if I would give them some tips on how to be a gentlemen. However, those same students haven't any problems with the younger teachers who sometimes look like they could do with an extreme makeover. Maybe it could be said that they're far less picky about such things than you are.

Try this: Wear a suit and a pair of sandals. You might be surprised at how liberating it can feel.

#8 Parent sandalman - 2010-04-27

"A Chinese TA should also be in attendance at every class to ensure that FT's don't pollute the minds of young Chinese students."

I want there to be purpose in my life. No, I want there to have been purpose in my life. Well, actually, I want both. I want not just to be witty now, Mark Twainish as it were; I want a reflection that transcends normalcy while at the same time is seen as having created thought. Acceptance is nice, but thought reverberates, creates waves while ebbing and flowing, and I want those who have come and gone in my life to have ridden those waves with me. I want them to reach out as I have, even if they find themselves to have grasped nothing but thin air. If they do that, they will at least have extended and in so extending will have created ripples. And those ripples? Well, maybe they will have changed something and maybe that thing that they have changed will have long lasting, positive and far reaching, unimaginable consequence.

I think it a challenge for every FT in China to move their students out of the doldrums; to be, as it were, a soft wind that blows away the sediments of pollution that have already settled in their minds. Yet, it would seem that you would have us believe we need monitoring lest we move our students beyond normalcy. I couldn't disagree more; moreover, I am left wondering what goals you bring to your classrooms beyond the expectation of your students regurgitating through rote memory the crap to be found in the majority of textbooks used in English classes here that are foundational at best. Consider that an inquiry.

Sandals are comfortable. Ties are stifling. Relax, dude.

#9 Parent Bum - 2010-04-25

That's one thing I love most about China, is that I can be a bum and still be hao shuai. I get one hair cut a year, at

times I go months wihtout shaving and I pretty much wear the same worn pants and shirt everyday.

Wow! I'm sure all your students stand behind you. Especially if the wind is at your back!
#10 Parent hobo - 2010-04-25

That's one thing I love most about China, is that I can be a bum and still be hao shuai. I get one hair cut a year, at times I go months wihtout shaving and I pretty much wear the same worn pants and shirt everyday.

#11 Parent Andrew - 2010-04-25

I totally agree with you re dress code. Teachers should be made to look like teachers in the classroom. They should not look like backpackers and hippies! Here, my fellow FT is running around with a little backpack on his back. He does so wherever he goes, rushing around like a headless chicken, his weird behavior affording great amusement to the students, I guess. But the school leaders will surely look down on this strange behavior, which Chinese teachers would never adopt. Too many foreign teachers here are not real teachers. That's why they don't know how to dress and behave as real teachers do.
Chinese teaching assistants in class. I agree with that. They can be interpreters as well as ensuring that the FT is not spreading Western propaganda to China's young minds. A fellow FT told me that his students had told him a loopy American was playing 'religious games' with her students - enacting biblical stories, it seems. Talk about naive! Guess she won't last long - TA present, or not!

Styleman - 2010-04-24
dress code

I am disgusted by the way that many FT's dress in China. Jeans and T-shirts and sandals to class! What is going on here? Many FT's also come to class and they have not shaved for a week! A collared shirt, dress slacks and a tie should be compulsory for all FT's in China, and also dress socks and black leather shoes. A professional dress code and appearance standard should be enforced in conjunction with the professional education system here in China. A Chinese TA should also be in attendance at every class to ensure that FT's don't pollute the minds of young Chinese students.

Return to Index › dress code

Go to another board -