TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Irreconcileable Views and Vitriol
#1 Parent Duckling - 2010-05-17
Re: Irreconcilable Views and Vitriol

Yes, You're right. The posts of Turnoi and Cunning Linguist are written in such an arrogant manner that they give other readers the distinct impression those two posters are trying to lord it over the rest of us mere mortals. At the same time, they divulge information that they needn't, to indicate their academic standing, and in the case of Turnoi, his financial independence and authorship of textbooks. Everything they post is designed to reinforce their perceived status of superiority.But on the other hand, he is quick to berate those who dare to toot their own horn,which is happens to be one of his shortcomings!
Whenever they take on a contentious issue, they are in trouble: though giving the impression of being experts in the field of EFL, neither are, as they've only worked at the top end of the industry.
But do they deserve all the vitriol that they have received on account of their snobbish attitudes? Some would say being derided on a public board is too cruel a punishment! Anyways, I'm glad I'm not in their shoes - that's my take on what's happened and why.

#2 Parent Reconciled - 2010-05-17
Re: Irreconcileable Views and Vitriol

Duckling, it has nothing to do with personal information or disagreement, and everything to do with how Turnoi, and cunning linguist present their views. Also, when I said Turnoi felt he could say whatever he wanted, I did not mean opinions, but how he says it. He and cunning linguist do indeed present their arguments often times in a superior, condescending way, as if their words are the s***, and they know more then everyone else, and should never be questioned. Has nothing to do with them posting any personal information at all. People have tried to tell them this, but they simply choose to use intellectual deflection instead of face the reality of their own actions and apologize, or act more humble. You've mis read the whole situation.

#3 Parent Duckling - 2010-05-17
Irreconcileable Views and Vitriol

You and cunning linguist are indeed out of line, and you do come across as total snobs.

The above sentence by the Reconciled poster illustrates what has happened when two posters with similar views on controversial topics posted too much personal information, which was subsequently used by another poster as the basis to launch an attack against them. In the light of what has occurred, my advice to those who post on the ESLTB forums, or indeed other forums, or social networking sites, is to take great care not to make the same mistake as Turnoi and Cunning Linguist have made. If you do not exercise caution in this repect, you may find yourself the target of vitriol from those who disagree with your point of view sooner or later.

Return to Index › Irreconcileable Views and Vitriol

Go to another board -