TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › How to get a complementary release letter
#1 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2010-05-30
Re: How to get a complimentary release letter

Credibility on a discussion board? Give me a break.

#2 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2010-05-30

Oh yeah!

Credibility on a discussion board!

Please!

#3 Parent Smartie - 2010-05-30

Blah, Blah, Blah!
I never said sb can't multitask, ie improve their teaching while using guanxi! But you said that was fraud, ie the dinners. Give it a rest, mate. Get down from your high horse!

#4 Parent neutral - 2010-05-30

Your credibility's gone forever, presuming you had any in the first place, which I doubt very much, by the way!

#5 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2010-05-30

I think you should lighten up! I knew you'd hit on 'kwams', that's why I misspelt it for you! Well, you've been saying that I'm a fraud. For doing what? Buying dinner once a month for certain Chinese folks without asking for specific favors? BTW, it's MY money, not yours, so I'll spend it as I please!

Can't you envisage a newbie trying to do his (or her) best in the classroom, but having some complaints from students, and being unable to judge the gravity of such complaints? No Chinese employer will say to such a newbie, don't worry, you'll be fine if you persevere! Things can change, just like the weather! I'm trying to help borderline laowei folks to get a little edge to keep them here longer so they can improve

I never said that "you would be fine if you persevere". My inital posts to you were to encourage you, because I did realize that you were having a hard time of things. I simply recommended a different approach that would take you further, and that would not only save you money but help you make more money in the long run.

Instead of appreciating this advice you got all huffy, defensive, and pissy. Your attitude indicated more selfish intent in your actions than I had first envisioned so I decided to let you know what I thought of your actions.

How long or where can mean absolutely nothing re teaching prowess. Certain schools will only pay air fare reimbursement if a ticket is first bought by the FT. Don't buy one, don't go home, and maybe you can stay for a long time somewhere despite pretty average teaching - do I have to spell it out? The school can save MONEY! Are you in an ivory tower?

Ok you say that you deliberately spell badly. Now is the above a deliberate attempt at incoherence? "If spelling it out for me" means writing coherently, in properly structured English sentences, then, yes, you do "have to spell it out to me".

It is not difficult to get a contract renewal in China. Just, stick to your contract and focus your efforts on improving your teaching instead of wining and dining the leaders and you'll do a lot better. Yes, it's that simple, believe it or not. As I said, to Turnoi, a green one-legged gnome could prosper in Chinese schools without having to Kow Tow to those above him. Why is it so hard for you to take a simple bit of advice? After this I think I'll try to sell ice to Eskimo's, I think I will be a lot more successful at that.

You accuse me of fraud, and if I were to get a glowing report, of using it to defraud the next employer. Absolute garbage according to any country's laws! Unlike you, CL didn't take the bait - he can see that my writing skills didn't equate with my deliberate spelling mistakes. BTW, I have a Bachelor's degree, and teaching experience in the West. What's more, I've never been a cinema usher. Seems you've been the subject of an entrapment. The News of the Screws has entrapped Fergie. Do you think she'll get sympathy for that? Course not! You neither! A little later, I'll give you another revelation, another real shocker, stand by for it! In the meantime, get off my back, and Turnoi's too!

Now you're really going of the rails. Is this fresh example of incoherent babble another "entrapment"? It's a handy way of explaining away poor writing and reasoning skills; claiming that it's some subtle, master plan. What has "C.L" or "Fergie", or you being a cinema usher or not, got do with our discussion? I made no comment whatsoever about any claim that you made about being a cinema usher. You must have me confused with somebody else. If you want to write nonsensical information about yourself, then that's your business, but, please, "entrapment"? The only entrapment here is what you are doing to yourself with your incoherent rambling. The bottom line is, you cannot take simple advice, without having a piddle fit.

#6 Parent Smartie - 2010-05-29

Wow!...and you say that you've got no "qwams" with my view, and that I've got a problem with your views! If you behave like you do here with the FAO faculty, no wonder you find it necessary to wine and dine them!

I think you should lighten up! I knew you'd hit on 'kwams', that's why I misspelt it for you! Well, you've been saying that I'm a fraud. For doing what? Buying dinner once a month for certain Chinese folks without asking for specific favors? BTW, it's MY money, not yours, so I'll spend it as I please!
Can't you envisage a newbie trying to do his (or her) best in the classroom, but having some complaints from students, and being unable to judge the gravity of such complaints? No Chinese employer will say to such a newbie, don't worry, you'll be fine if you persevere! Things can change, just like the weather! I'm trying to help borderline laowei folks to get a little edge to keep them here longer so they can improve.

If I presumed that you wanted to stay, I would not have asked you. I just wanted to point out a method that would help you or others to go one stop further.

How long or where can mean absolutely nothing re teaching prowess. Certain schools will only pay air fare reimbursement if a ticket is first bought by the FT. Don't buy one, don't go home, and maybe you can stay for a long time somewhere despite pretty average teaching - do I have to spell it out? The school can save MONEY! Are you in an ivory tower?

You're right about one thing, though. We need to stop this conversation. I'm getting nowhere with you.

You accuse me of fraud, and if I were to get a glowing report, of using it to defraud the next employer. Absolute garbage according to any country's laws! Unlike you, CL didn't take the bait - he can see that my writing skills didn't equate with my deliberate spelling mistakes. BTW, I have a Bachelor's degree, and teaching experience in the West. What's more, I've never been a cinema usher. Seems you've been the subject of an entrapment. The News of the Screws has entrapped Fergie. Do you think she'll get sympathy for that? Course not! You neither! A little later, I'll give you another revelation, another real shocker, stand by for it! In the meantime, get off my back, and Turnoi's too!

#7 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2010-05-28

That's your view. I've no qwams
about that. But you've a problem with my views. TOUGH!

Wow!...and you say that you've got no "qwams" with my view, and that I've got a problem with your views! If you behave like you do here with the FAO faculty, no wonder you find it necessary to wine and dine them!

If I presumed that you wanted to stay, I would not have asked you. I just wanted to point out a method that would help you or others to go one stop further. You're right about one thing, though. We need to stop this conversation. I'm getting nowhere with you.

#8 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2010-05-27
Re: How to get a complementary release letter

Nice one, Gibbo.

It's worked for me, too. I think that if an FT follows the contract, and is an honest worker who does his best to fulfill the needs of his students, he will find that there's no need to wine and dine his superiors. Chinese employees have to keep their employers happy; they don't have many options and Chinese leaders know that, and take advantage of it. Chinese leaders do not expect foreign teachers to play the "guanxi" game, because they would expect us to be more independent and to have more options.

Cheers and beers to FTs who don't swallow their pride while in China!

#9 Parent Smarty - 2010-05-27

I wanted to let those who are considering coming to teach in China, know that there are much better alternatives than your approach.

That's your view. I've no qwams
about that. But you've a problem with my views. TOUGH!
First, you misread my earlier posts.
Second, you presumed I wanted to go on teaching there, which I needn't, and didn't. Coz I did nothing to ask for continution within the time limit prescribed in my contract to ask, but that's the normality here. But you didn't know it! Any FT can ask if he or she wants, but it takes 2 to tango. If they asked,I'd have said no thanks. They'd lose their face, and there Chinese, remember! They knew I was a leaver, but you seem to think I should stay longer here! You haven't even taught here! Laughable!
I got my point across, and so did u. Let's leave it at that, shall we?

#10 Parent Yingwen - 2010-05-27

If you post some details of your life on a public discussion forum then you should expect people to respond in different ways.

I was not judging you, i was judging your approach, while in fact giving yourself, and any others unfamiliar with Chinese schools, advice. I was trying to assist you, but for some reason you can't see it, or, perhaps do not wish to. Where does quarrelling come into it? This is healthy debate, about what techniques or approaches may help foreign teachers in China prosper in their employment.

Yes, your topic, is about how to get good release letters; I accept that. However I don't think that there is any harm in letting yourself and others who may be contemplating coming to teach in China, that your approach is quite short-sighted, and unfair to Chinese students. Many FTs would like to find a good school and stay there if they're happy. Your approach is only ok if a teacher is happy to keep moving from job to job all the time, content to sell Chinese students short, and willing to be false to those that they wine and dine, if they don't really like them. Also such an approach would need an individual to be ready to swallow a lot of pride.

I wanted to let those who are considering coming to teach in China, know that there are much better alternatives than your approach.

#11 Parent englishgibson - 2010-05-27

Laoshi, you're quite right. I've worked for one employer for four years in Nanning. From the beginning I had students asking for more classes with me and I criticized my boss's girlfriend, the manager, for her unethical behaviors disclosing to the students how much I was paid and for her poor performance numerous times. In my first year, I refused to work when my employer rented me out elsewhere, but I was able to renew three more one-year contracts there. Had there not been one farce supervisor that my day to day work depended on, I would've probably signed another one year there. And, I could have. However, and ironically, this farce supervisor I could never get along with in 4 years wrote a fine letter for me, when I was leaving, as my employer was not up to the task.
Cheers and beers to all kinda letters our employers owe us

#12 Parent Colonel Fallows - 2010-05-27

I think that Smartie, the OP, has been given an unnecessarily rough ride because of his candid comments about obtaining a complimentary release letter. The truth is that it is a common occurrence in Chinese culture to offer such niceties to one's boss in order to gain his favor. I worked in one school in which the foreign teachers' relationship with their department liaison was so tenuous and volatile that we were truly at wits' end. A Chinese friend who is neither inexperienced nor naive suggested that we present the liaison with a cash gift, treat him to dinner, or present him with a simple bottle of baiju to sweeten him up. We ruled out the cash immediately (our cultural values at play). Dinner was voted out because we didn't think he'd accept, but if he did we were unsure just how well the evening would turn out. We settled on the baiju. Since none of us liked the stuff, and none of us had much experience with it, we gave my friend 100 rmb to buy a good bottle of baiju. (Yes, I know: "good" and "baiju" are oxymorons). I don't remember how much it cost, but I do remember getting a LOT of change back.

At the end of the term, when we turned in our grade books and all of our textbooks, we presented him with the bottle of turpentine --- I mean baiju--- and the guy's demeanor changed drastically. My Chinese friend was right. A little grease goes a long way. The next term, our liaison went to bat for us to negotiate with the department for us to have more reasonable schedules and more reasonable timetables for handing in required paperwork. At the time, there were no required Letters of Release, so I can't say whether our gift would have changed the outcome of any evaluation issued in the form of a letter of release or a letter of recommendation (which is not the same as a letter of release. Now, the letter of release is mandatory on the part of the FAO. The letter of recommendation is something that is voluntary and may be issued at the discretion of the dean of the foreign languages department or the FAO).

Re: becoming a better teacher in order to obtain a good word from an employer. In a rational world, it is a reasonable assumption that doing a good job would prompt an employer to communicate good things about a good employee. Anyone who works in the real world for any length of time learns that doing one's job well does not always earn the respect and admiration of his employer. In a previous China gig, I worked with two wholly incompetent foreign teachers. One professed to have ten years experience in EFL and BA in English. The other had about four years experience in China and professed to have a Ph.D of some sort. Neither demonstrated any class room ability. One teacher's classes went on strike and refused to respond to him after mid-term; the other teacher's students complained bitterly to me about her incompetence and iron-fist approach to "teaching" as well as using her class room as a pulpit to trash the school, her students, and her foreign colleagues. (I know about their complaints because we shared a couple of groups of students. I had to hear their complaints, though I instructed them not to complain to me but to their group leader). At the end of the term, the ten-year veteran was given a letter of release with no negative remarks. The Ph.D retained her job and her exorbitant salary.

How did they do it? Each spent a lot of time in the FAO's office schmoozing the waiban. It didn't matter one bit to the waiban that they were incompetent, and the foreign teachers didn't care that their students hated them or that the foreign languages department viewed them as bad teachers. The foreign teachers knew that the FAO held the power, so that's where they expended their energies.

These are just a few of the realities of teaching in China. For some strange reason, frauds and incompetent teachers demonstrate remarkable ability to maintain employment in China not because of their teaching skills but for their political acumen. This occurs not only in China TEFL but elsewhere in the world and in other areas of employment.

#13 Parent Smartie - 2010-05-27

Thanks anyway for your advise. I posted on here to give others the benifit of what I did and the aftermaths. If you choose to question it, that's ok with me. I'll still go my way, you can go your's, and the readers can go there's! You've no right to appoint yourself as my judge. youre just a fellow foreigner here. We are foreigners in an alian land. Instead of quarrelling with each other, we should try to give each other good advise as we see it to be. Let the readers do as they see fit!

#14 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2010-05-27

Smartie, although your sucking up to the FAO got you a very good reference letter, did it also provide an opportunity for you to renew your contract with the school? If it didn't, then this would demonstrate the limits of your approach.

A better way, would be to do your best to let your teaching speak for you. Put more heart into improving, so that if you find a school that you like, you will increase your opportunity of staying there by being offered contract renewals.

In my experience, I have found that Chinese school leaders, at least in public schools, generally do not expect or particularly require foreign teachers to suck up to them. They expect it from their fellow Chinese, but when it comes to FTs, all they generally expect is somebody who doesn't rock the boat, who sticks to the contract, and carries out his job as best he can.

A good reference letter is ok, but you could save yourself a bit of pride, and money, and attain a more successful outcome if you focused your energies, primarily, on doing the best job that you could. Your strategy is limited, because it generally only brings about the "Ok here's a good reference letter, now get lost!" result.

#15 Parent Smartie - 2010-05-26

Some Chinese people are not proud of being Chinese and want to act and think like Westerners. You should not make generalizations.

I was talking specificly about Chinese teachers who are FAO's employed at public colleges and high schools in China. They do tend to have a chip on their shoulder because they are educated and have safe jobs. It suits them to be proud to be Chinese. I think they will never accept foreign people as being Chinese, even those foreigners who are fluent at Chinese. you'll always be an incomer who can't be trusted, in a profession with many dishonest Chinese people who'll never do anything extra unless they can get paid for it. But outside that group, I agree with your asessment.

There are still millions of Chinese people who would do anything to leave China.

That's certainly true, but most of them are in deadened jobs or lowpaid jobs or plain dumb people who think the grass is greener.....

Especially older unmarried single Chinese women and divorced women.
They can't ever find a husband in China, so many feel as though they have no future.

I think this is true. I also think this group has some incredibly beautiful women. But there are some honies in it who just want to be loved, and hope that a westerner will treat them better than a Chinese husband. Another attraction is that foreign teachers make good money. But a very important thing is that they're already looked down upon, used goods or past their selling date, so it won't matter if their Chinese acqaintances view them as traitors for sleeping with a foreigner. They've nothing to lose. When they marry a foreigner, the Chinese will think they're a bit loopy, while admiring them for elevating their financial status. Marrying those who want to go abroad is something I'd never contemplate. If instead a foreigner can find the right one, he'll be doing much much better than marrying a western woman, and that's said not just from the male angle of bedroom sports!

#16 Parent Smartie - 2010-05-26

can you guys imagine a "complimentary economic system"?

It certainly does happen to an extent in private industry in the West. Big multinationals that make huge profits can afford to be wasteful of talent, and they are! Haven't you heard of 'the old school tie'? My father worked for such a haughty company. They don't always promote or reward the right people. Imediate bosses of workers can make mistakes. Crawlers can get preferrential treatment. So, some talented people get p***ed off and leave!

#17 Parent Smartie - 2010-05-26

Really? Hmmm ... Great advice! Even though it's not true! Spend your money on the boss?

It worked for me, but I don't know if the FAO is the boss!

People come here like sheep to be shorn. They have nothing to offer! Incompetence runs rampant. Over half the FT's in China should get released and banned at the same time from ever working here again. The majority of teachers here can't teach to save their ass! And that's at every level!

But they're not all shorn. In fact, most of them are not shorn, as acording to what you write, they're still here. So, more than half of them here are making a living regardless of being incompetant teachers. All this is, of course, your opinion, which you're entilted to. It seems you've put yourself on a pedestool! I wonder if you're right. If you are, I reckon I've nothing to fear. My opinion is that I'm not one of the worst if you're right. I hope you are right!

#18 Parent englishgibson - 2010-05-26

can you guys imagine a "complementary economic system"? any evaluation based on such practices as our OP has mentioned is a prescription to failures and the dooms day. first is that the really good workers do not or will not get what they deserve, and then goes the downfall of such companies (schools). such companies that offer such evaluations usually offer faulty products. hasn't china flooded its domestic and international markets with enough junk already? i know that you can recycle some products but how do you really recycle ill prepared youngsters and the workforce that might fill in some actually important positions?
cheers and beers to visions to future, not some short sighted eyes that cannot see on tips of their noses :)

#19 Parent happy hooker! - 2010-05-26

Some Chinese people are not proud of being Chinese and want to act and think like Westerners. You should not make generalizations. There are still millions of Chinese people who would do anything to leave China. Especially older unmarried single Chinese women and divorced women.

They can't ever find a husband in China, so many feel as though they have no future.

#20 Parent Wow! - 2010-05-26

Really? Hmmm ... Great advice! Even though it's not true! Spend your money on the boss? The key to success in China is very easy and very few know how to open the door. When I say it's easy one must also possess the necessary tools and know how to use those tools to one's advantage. A degree in teaching will not necessarily make you successful in China. You need to come to the table with more than a teaching degree on your plate. People come here like sheep to be shorn. They have nothing to offer! Incompetence runs rampant. Over half the FT's in China should get released and banned at the same time from ever working here again. The majority of teachers here can't teach to save their ass! And that's at every level!

#21 Parent Smartie - 2010-05-24

I think you will always be a foreigner in there eyes. If you could speak perfect Chinese, and behaved in a similar way to them, that would cut no ice too. The Chinese are very patriotic and proud of being Chinese. Perhaps it wouldn't be a good thing for us to try to behave as they do, but knowing the culture here can be an advantage. We can manipulate it to our own ends if it is good for us to do so.

#22 Parent Smartie - 2010-05-24

It appears that you have misread my post(s).
I have a handler at college, the FAO. He is Chinese, my other boss there is the dean of the English department. He is Chinese too. I've been keeping my FAO sweet by inviting him and his wife to dinner regularly. I regard him as my handler at college.
I also have a Chinese agent, who has been very good. What happened at the college re me being giving writing classes to teach was not his fault. I asked him to try to get me a 100% oral post next time, as I'm not qualified to teach writing. His main interest in me is to sell me to an employer. He doesn't care about my carreer development. Though his job is boring, but he does it well. The reason he mentioned low schools and colleges to me is that he doesn't want me to go back to my home country. If I did that, he couldn't flog me again. So, he tried to make me feel better about my next destination by saying he would find me a job with little stress where the students are very poor in English.

#23 Parent Juanisaac - 2010-05-24

Your whole experience in China and how you arrived here certainly highlights the problems of the Chinese education system. But really, these are beyond you or I. The Chinese themselves have to change what they want, but hopefully the foreign ESL teachers will stop racing the Chinese to the bottom. I myself have learned some things about how the "system" works. At one point of my stay here I even had a Chinese name which now I stopped using. I was like a Mandarin, being more Chinese than the Chinese. I will be flexible with the Chinese, but I will not try to become one of them; I can't anyway. A loa-wai is a loa-wai is a loa-wai. Good luck Smartie, happy studies.

#24 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2010-05-24

Smartie, I know that you want a quiet, stress-free life (most people, do, including myself, and there's nothing wrong with that. At the same time, though, are you really content to be looked upon as a person who's only fit to teach in "low public schools", " ordinary high schools", and "Backward counties". Man, I would feel a bit insulted if my handler told me what he said to you. Not that I would blame him: I think that I would take a look at myself and ask myself if I would be satisfied with people having such an opinion of me.

I don't know you, but I get the feeling that you can do better for yourself. You don't have to accept low jobs, and low salaries. Believe in yourself a bit more. Take some guidance from good teachers around and slowly, step by step, try to improve your skills and methods. Do you like teaching? It would help if you liked it to some extent. As I said, you don't have to go crazy, but set yourself small challenges as regards improvement, and in the future you may find yourself confident enough to go for the better paid jobs in better cities and schools. Also, your students would benefit from this, too!

Use the poorer quality schools as a platform to start improving yourself as a teacher. Just because a place is deemed backward it doesn't mean it's not a good place to teach, though. You might be able to help those who are less well off. The point I am trying to make is, don't accept that you have to stay at at a low skill level if you don't want to. Why not try to better yourself and earn acknowledgement for your ability, too?

#25 Parent englishgibson - 2010-05-24

i really don't think my former hotel boss in toronto would have fallen for such tactics we're discussing on here. asia's corrupt and mainland stands out pretty well. yes, we've got choices and so do the pole dancers. :)
cheers and beers

#26 Parent Smartie - 2010-05-23

I have been given a very boring writing textbook to teach regarding the theory of writing. I can hardly follow it, and many of my students can't. I have a feeling that the main reason some were complaining about my teaching was to put pressure on me to let them pass, even though they were clueless. My dean told me to be kind in the exam marking so that only 5% would fail, and to let them all pass the resit. I did so, and this semester the students are happier, and complain less. The dean knows that the students can't write well. He even admitted that none of the teachers can too! I think he had forgot to exclude the other foreign teacher. As long as I follow the system and keep my nose sqeeky clean, I'll be left alone. That's what my experience has taught me, and don't dare to complain. And, just for good measure, be generous regularly to one's hardworking minder who likes good food and liquor in fine settings.

#27 Parent Smartie - 2010-05-23

Being a providor of Chinese liquor to your male minder when inviting him out for a good dinner can do no harm. If you're not too incompetant in the classroom, that can be overlooked, it seems. The degree for sale thing is an offer not worth taking up is what I say. There are many Chinese agents who specialise in finding jobs for unqualified foreigners. Actually, many employers prefer unqualified foreigners. They're happy to pay lower salaries to foreigners without degrees, and the agents can use their special relationship with the education cadres to get you that indispensable expert's certificate. The students at low schools and colleges are lazy and uninterested, as a rule. It's a win win situation for all at such institutions of learning. But you'll have to move on once you're contract is expired if you're a no good teacher, degree or not!

#28 Parent Smartie - 2010-05-23

If you're not good enough at teaching, how about trying to improve yourself for the sake of your students? How about making self-improvement (in teaching) your goal, instead of focusing on getting a "good" release letter.

I have been trying to improve my teaching to satisfy my students more, but the other foreign teacher told me in confidance the Chinese teachers in the English department office had said I was not a good teacher and not likely to develop into one. He can speak Chinese, so he was able to moniter what they were chatting about. He didn't tell them his Chinese was good, as he wanted to understand their unhibited talk! He has a degree, so he's on much more than me, but that's fair. I'm on 3500 quia a month, which gives me a comfortable life. He has no need to make trouble for me, as I can never be a threat to him visa vie employment. I think his teaching rating was just average because he often complains about things like late pay. I never complain about anything as I feel vulnerable because of my poor teaching. I would have been happy with an average release letter, but I was worried I would get a poor rating. So, I tried to engratiate myself and flatter my Chinese superiors. Where I came from, I'd been a movie theater usher ever since flunking uni as a freshman. I don't want to go back to that kind of bad job. I had not shown that on my resume before coming here. I know Chinese teachers like to look down on others. My agent told me that and how to do my resume.

#29 Parent Smartie - 2010-05-23

My college asked me to teach writing, which I'm no good at. The other problem is I'm not a good entertainer or game show host type of teacher. My foreign colleague is my mentor. He is an all round teacher with great English skills. The main problem have been complaints from my writing classes. Some better students have caught me out with my spelling mistakes and poor sentenses. My agent told me that next time he'll find a very low public college or an ordinary high school for me in a backward county. Then I can relax and worry less. He's very good, he told me to buy dinners for my handler every month and take him to a plush resteurant. He's Chinese, and so knows how the culture works here.

#30 Parent englishgibson - 2010-05-23

Smartie, I find your post, both, honest and dishonest. Since you've provided us with such an advice, I'll follow with mine as well. Let's spend more to improve professionally than on dining out with ones that do not know what professional means! :)

Local college students need to learn how to improve their academic reading and writing skills. Their writings often lack any cohesion, the main ideas of their sentences or paragraphs are hard to see or even infer and that never mind their poor spelling of words they sometimes do not really know. Not that my writing's great, but I am trying. Smartie, you could try that too. WINK TO YA

To all other readers on, not long ago, in China, the honorable FAOs,Smartie's talking about, were inviting foreign teachers to dinners themsleves. Some of the reasons being then were that such FAOs wanted to learn or practice their English at the table and some that they just wanted to get to know some of the western culture at dinner tables. Also some FAOs were as desperate as they were to keep the foreign teachers invited happy in schools. The situtation has surely changed in past few years, hasn't it? LOL LOL LOL

Cheers and beers to Smartie that makes our forums forums after all

#31 Parent Smartie - 2010-05-23

Thanks for your informative responce. You have covered all the angles. I knew about what you have said from the experiense of my big brother. He had come to China on an L visa at first to work for a private training center. As he was not good at being a children's entertainer, he was abruptly fired. The last thing a private training center boss wants is to pay a foreigner for losing them money by causing new students not to enrol there. But if you are a real good teacher, you can make pots of money working there. The down sides are you'll be very busy, and your job security will always be in doubt, dependant perhaps on as short a time as your previous week's classroom performance. Another negetive is if you're fired in the middle of a semester, you'll be toiling to find another job, as there are few availible then. My big brother got a good teacher rating by being generous to his new employer. He gave him two bottles of whiskey and a box of Havanas as soon as he arrived there. Luckily, his firing was early enough for him to contact a local agent to get him an alternate job in a hurry, luckily for him in a senior high school in the same city. Private training centers should be sidestept by all those who are not natural entertainers and teachers at the same time, and are not workaholics.

#32 Parent Juanisaac - 2010-05-23

If you included some Baijiu in that meal, you're well on your way to a first class everything in China.
Self-evaluations are hard sometimes, especially when you do try to be a good teacher but the students do
not respond in kind.
Seriously though, if YOU believe that your teaching methodologies need work please try to improve those first before sending out future dinner invitations. Investing on some kind ESL books that will teach you some things in the long run is cheaper; I bought four ESL books plus three manuals.
In China, mostly the education is crap and some of the teachers and administrators of the province that I work in know this. I personally work with some who admitted that Chinese education has alot of improvement to do. My jaw almost dropped to the floor when I heard this. In China, things change slowly but they do change. I want to see if in the next ten years Chinese education improves or continues its current path of degrees for sale.

#33 Parent ks - 2010-05-23

Hi Smatrie
That is how the system there in China works. You socialize with your boss, butter him or her up with a meal, drinks etc. The faster people there learn this the faster they will gt along. I am not saying that this is right or wrong but it how the system there in a lot of the owrld works.

#34 Parent Perky - 2010-05-23

There's a lot of truth in your post, but were your 'minder' a Chinese lady teacher, or indeed the head of the English department were a Chinese lady, your way of being well regarded is much less certain to succeed. Chinese lady teachers will be very careful not to accept favours like yours. Firstly, because their husbands or boyfriends or colleagues may suspect there is romance in the air. Secondly, because they tend to be more ambitious than Chinese male teachers - so
they will not want others to say bad things about them accepting any kind of bribe behind their backs.
It's been my observation Chinese men tend to be easygoing and more inclined to repay kindness with kindness. Anyways, you seem to know what you're doing in order to continue teaching on mainland in spite of not being a good teacher. Though you didn't say your college was a state establishment, I would expect it to be so. A good piece of advice for you and your like is never ever work for private employers nor for those half public half private outfits, and you should be fine. And, I almost forgot, you'd better not complain about anything, that's the way to go. the Chinese dislike foreign wowsers.

#35 Parent ignorant Chinese - 2010-05-23

Maybe you really did do a good job. A few students complaining means nothing. I have been teaching in China for several years and this stupid "student evaluating teacher" nonsense needs to be stopped. Chinese students in general are not very smart, they do not know what is good for them. Their parents are even less intelligent.

Maybe you were labelled as a bad teacher because you did not play any "games" with the students. If the other teacher was playing childish and absurd games with the students then the students probably liked him.

Welcome to the China's education "entertainment' industry. No wonder there are no first class universities and colleges in China!

#36 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2010-05-23

I've just been pleasantly surprised by my release letter from a Chinese college where quite frankly I have done a pretty average teaching job at best. After being in trouble every so often due to complaints about my teaching from some aukward students of mine, I decided to keep in with my minder. At the end of every month, I invited him and his wife for a good meal, saying that I was very happy to do so, as I'd been given a wonderful opportunity to experiense their country through being employed by the college. It cost me about 200 quia a dinner. In all honesty, I was only expecting an average teaching asessment, but I could hardly believe the great one I received. Meanwhile, the other foreigner here, who never invited our FAO out for a meal has got a very average rating of his teaching. Naturally, I didn't tell him about my great rating, as I didn't want to disappoint him, as he is a much better teacher than I'll ever be able to be, and he would have been even more disappointed, had he known about my super rating. My advise is if you're no good at teaching, keep your head down, accept the critizism, and be kind to your minder by buying him dinners oftentimes. Then you'll be okay for getting a great report, and then can move on to a new gig!

If you're not good enough at teaching, how about trying to improve yourself for the sake of your students? How about making self-improvement (in teaching) your goal, instead of focusing on getting a "good" release letter.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about an "average" release letter, if I knew in my heart that I taught the best that I could, and that my students were generally satisfied with me. That would be success, enough, and my confidence and self-belief would carry me through. I heard about one teacher using student references to help him get a teaching position. For that to work, though, your focus and priorities would have to be on/your students.

Smartie - 2010-05-22
How to get a complementary release letter

I've just been pleasantly surprised by my release letter from a Chinese college where quite frankly I have done a pretty average teaching job at best. After being in trouble every so often due to complaints about my teaching from some aukward students of mine, I decided to keep in with my minder. At the end of every month, I invited him and his wife for a good meal, saying that I was very happy to do so, as I'd been given a wonderful opportunity to experiense their country through being employed by the college. It cost me about 200 quia a dinner. In all honesty, I was only expecting an average teaching asessment, but I could hardly believe the great one I received. Meanwhile, the other foreigner here, who never invited our FAO out for a meal has got a very average rating of his teaching. Naturally, I didn't tell him about my great rating, as I didn't want to disappoint him, as he is a much better teacher than I'll ever be able to be, and he would have been even more disappointed, had he known about my super rating. My advise is if you're no good at teaching, keep your head down, accept the critizism, and be kind to your minder by buying him dinners oftentimes. Then you'll be okay for getting a great report, and then can move on to a new gig!

Return to Index › How to get a complementary release letter

Go to another board -