TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Recruiter Tom Ge, Worth A Try?
#1 Parent Justin - 2010-06-09
Re: Recruiter Tom Ge, Worth A Try?

I received an email from him, as well. He said was he was very impressed with my experience! This makes 100% sense because I have ZERO experience. It is his attention to detail that makes him excellent...

Go to the SAFEA website (http://www.safea.gov.cn/english/) and ask them if you can't get a list of approved schools in the area you want to work. I found a similar file for Guangxi simply through a Google search and that was amazingly helpful.

Believe half of what you see,

Justin

#2 Parent Gozimus - 2010-06-05
Re: Recruiter Tom Ge, Worth A Try?

I wouldn't send him a thing -- there are some real shady companies and big liars recruiting, if you can call it that. You just serve as the ESL Monkey that serves as "bounty". if he's a korean dude there in Korea right now telling you to send over docs that's crap. the school employer will ask that of you directly when you're positively hired. , he doesn't give a crap about you and will tell you anything you want to hear because they're in major shortage now for the high demand of english teachers.

South Korea changed all the requirements for a visas so they screwed themselves., before 2008 it was really easy to get over there and start working. Now, you MUST have a criminal background check in your home country, have apostled or sealed or whatever, then send to your capital of your state to send to the recruiter. Then you must have interview with a Korean consulate in home country, so, if you live in Kansas City, Ks and the closest consulate is Chicago, you must make and appointment to meet with...ya da ya da...
blood test, urine test , sealed transcripts from college...overnighting docs to korean employer...
it keeps going on and on.
After dealing with the new criminal back ground check law crap that's mandatory today (waited 2 weeks for my own city to process that with fingerprints all over again and had to go a total of 3 times to location), and officially realizing that even a misdemeanor on your record (if you've ever been fingerprinted for anything at all like jaywalking) chances are you're visa will get turned down by them over there, after youve jumped through all these time consuming and expensive hoops. Poof!

And on top of it all if you don't know what signs to look for because this is all new to you, you might get a bad employer that doesn't pay you, treats you like crap, and it's a gamble if you'll have a nice apt or live in a shitty apartment in the middle of no where. The first two times I got lucky with fairly good locations and okay employers. The third time i went back, the situation was so bad i had to run after 3 months.

Go through footprintsrecruiting.com to sign up for korean jobs. It's nice to have a panel of westerners on your side if it comes down to it. They're a really professional recruiter based in Vancouver canada, and you can process everything online with them and on the phone.

I won't go back, there's too much bureaucracy to deal with now.

Don't know what the hell i'm going to do now really.

Andy - 2010-06-05
Recruiter Tom Ge, Worth A Try?

I have just received an e-mail from said recruiter. He says he can place foreign teachers at colleges and universities in Jiangsu province, that presumably being his patch. He has asked for scans of my degree and my passport, but I'd like to know first if he's any good at placing foreign teachers before sending him my personal information. So, has anyone reading this had any dealings with him? Is this guy worth a go, or, as many of them turn out to be, just another damp squib?

Return to Index › Recruiter Tom Ge, Worth A Try?

Go to another board -