TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re A Bat in the Flat in China, and more!
#1 Parent Turino - 2010-06-17
Re A Bat in the Flat in China, and more!

It is said that bats are flea-infested. Though I like them, just as you do, I would prefer not to handle one. Said bat made some squeaking noises like a mouse and was rather big. The FAO reckoned it had been chasing an insect that flew into the flat. I'm located in Sichuan province near the Yangtze River, which I can see from the sitting room and bedroom windows. Here there are many trees, ideal bat territory, I'd have thought. There's a passenger ferry and a car ferry crossing the river regularly. The car ferry comprises two crafts, a small ship and a drive-on drive-off floating platform that has no engine. It is attached to the ship by means of two ropes, and travels alongside the ship, but when the car ferry turns around in mainstream, it's a tricky maneouvre. The floating platform is allowed to distance itself from the ship by means of adjusting the rope lengths before being brought alongside once again. The platform has a ramp at either end with 2 forks for lifting and lowering. Another river, from Guizhou, enters the Yangtze here. Last autumn I was crossing the bridge over said tributary. There were 3 men fishing while tending more than 80 fishing rods! Suddenly one of the rods bent markedly, causing a fisherman to run towards it, and then grab it. He was soon playing a big fish with silver scales. I saw it in the water from the bridge as it was being hauled in. I'd say it weighed 4 -5 kilos. Seemingly, it's very rare for line fisherman to catch a big fish here. I think I was indeed lucky to witness its capture! I'll be leaving here for good on Saturday. Sichuan's quite beautiful, though there is air pollution. But the local dialect is very different from standard Chinese. Not a place to go if you want to speak and listen to standard Chinese language!

Return to Index › Re A Bat in the Flat in China, and more!

Go to another board -