TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › how hard is it for a non-native speaker to get a job in Europe? - ESL discussion
#1 Parent Mic - 2005-03-28
not likely... - ESL discussion

No, not likely. The "native" speaker thing is just a "nitch". If they want non-native speakers, it is most likely they will just hire a citizen of their own country. Many people in Europe know English very well. SO why would they want to hire someone from Italy, when they can get someone with the same qualifications and can speak the mother language of the students.

For example, if you want to teach in Germany, why would they hire an Italian, when they could easily hire a German who has the same qualifications in English teaching as you?

You could most likly get a job in Europe in your own country.

#2 Parent Adriano - 2005-03-27
Test around you - ESL discussion

Contact a few esl institutes where you are and ask directors, staff their opinion. Maybe you could start as volunteer-part timer to get some experience and then slowly switch to career. A.

Leo - 2005-03-27
how hard is it for a non-native speaker to get a job in Europe? - ESL discussion

Hello everyone. I am an Italian graduate in Foreign Language studies who would now like to become an English teacher.
I am therefore considering taking some tefl course in order to get a proper qualification.
I've been reading many of the discussions in this forum concerning the suitability of non-native speakers for teaching English as a second language.
My question is rather direct and clear: provided a non-native English tacher has the proper qualification (say bachelor degree+celta course for example), how difficult is it for him/her to get a job in Europe? Is it easy/possible/impossible/really really hard to get a job as a non-native speaker? Is it really worth getting through the hassle of leaving one's job and completing the course to then realise it is not a career which can be pursued?
I would really be grateful if anyone was able to help me with my query. thanks >\-|

Return to Index › how hard is it for a non-native speaker to get a job in Europe? - ESL discussion

Go to another board -