TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Yinchuan Aston
#1 Parent Andre - 2014-04-08
Re Yinchuan Aston

This school will cancel your visa after they are "done" with you. You'll think all is well until they chancel you visa by putting you on a Humanitarian visa, valid for 10 days. This visa can't be extended, in other words, they will spit you out and as a result, you'll have to leave the country and start all over again. They will smile and be friendly to you until the end. Don't even try to contact the head-office in Dalian for assistance, they will just ignore you. Apparently this "stop visa" as they call it is now new policy but they will not tell you about this prior to employment. This information was send to my by their Regional Director. Please contact me if you need more information regarding this group as I have all the emails to prove the above.

#2 Parent Mary - 2010-08-03
Re: Yinchuan Aston

Dont work for aston english.

#3 Parent Dragonized - 2010-08-01

Wendy, I wouldn't listen to the weasels on this board who pretend they know what China is and isn't about. The fact that they would label said business practices as being related to "culture" shows exactly how much of an idea of culture they have: close to or exactly zero! It's human nature to want something better and to put yourself to a higher standard. People who just want to be apologetic and persuade others to get used to a situation don't exactly want anything better for themselves. This really should make you wonder if you should even work in certain countries.

Although generalizing this won't help matters or bring concrete solutions. To a single person it's important to be fair to yourself, sometimes you just have to trust your gut.

#4 Parent MickyD_USe - 2010-08-01

Some Aston recruiters have made mistakes in the past with their personal communication, and they're not the only ones who may be behaving in a dishonest way.

I know a number of School Managers around my City here Yinchuan, Ningxia Province " S***E" for one who will shaft their workers foreign or Chinese just to stay afloat and curb costs. Some people are dishonest because they choose to be, recruiters I believe are just trying to get you into their school regardless of any personal financial benefit for them. Sus bosses and managers who try to short change you are the worst! Thanks "S***e" of Yinchuan. I'll never trust you guys again.

I had an Aston recruiter from head office recruit me and He was fine. Totally upfront. No problems there. I was very honest with him in the phone interview and I think that helped a lot because he knew I was mucking around. I think with any recruiters you have to be upfront and if you think the deal stinks, try for something new, but they (recruiters) are only doing their job. Since being in China working in TEFL, I've discovered that the demand is huge for TEFL Foreign teachers but nobody really wants to come. Why would you? You hardly get paid enough in western terms to save for a down payment back home so most teachers I've met are here for the experience. Simple as that. Chinese wages are enough for me to live very well on, but I'm not going to start complaining about the rate of monthly pay, i'll just find another job! Better still, I could just go home...

If you haven't worked for Aston but "only heard" or had a foot in the door (interview by phone) you shouldn't really comment on Aston's reputation becuase chances are you'd be surprised how good things can be. Take it from someone who knows.

#5 Parent Chengdu CT - 2010-07-28

Usually they get a Chinese lackey to do their dirty work.

Aston is crap dude!

Never worked there personally because the guy doing the recruiting wasn't straight with me. Advertised a summer camp job as not even 40 hours a week and only 22 days, less than a month. Well the less than 40 hours a week was 38.5 contact hours plus prep time, and the 22 days were Monday to Friday and didn't include Saturday and Sunday.

This was a recruiter from Aston head quarters not groveling weasel at a franchise.

#6 Parent Roel Dante - 2010-07-26
(Message Deleted by Poster)
#7 Parent lesley - 2010-07-18
Re: Yinchuan Aston ....or any Aston

I taught at Jinan-Aston in their five week summer program in 2006. After teaching there for one day, I knew I had made a bad decision. Aston is NOT the place for an experienced professional career ESL teacher.

This reply on the discussion forum regarding Aston dated October 2009 is still relevant.

Re: Aston
By:courselite
Date: 13 October 2009
In Response To: Re: Aston (Bud Wisner)

Maybe there's a glass ceiling to the lucrative TEFL industry and short-term profits are all there really is to make, so a shrewd businessman would get as much as he could while the goings are good. And how could a chain school rely on the quality of teachers to uphold the business even if they were willing to pay top dollar for them? Who really wants to be a career English teacher for kiddies in China or elsewhere in Asia anyway? Most folks with anything going on would probably get out of it after a few years, at which point theyve experienced living overseas in exotic Asia, and theyve got what non-financial rewards theyre going to get from being a teacher/babysitter.

Given the reality of the situation, schools like Aston may just be taking the most direct and wise course. Theres no need to coddle more talented teachers when fresh recruits are queuing up for a chance to teach, and Aston has taken steps to insure that an average person without any serious personality disorders should be able to do a passable job of teaching using their structured curriculum, syllabus, and teaching materials.

On the other hand, schools like Aston have everything in place to change their course and provide a better quality of life for their teachers and hence better instruction for their students while still making a sound profit. They havent raised their teachers salaries in over four years, but the tuition for students has more than doubled in that time, which means theres a lot of profit to reallocate into teacher pay and benefits. The result would be a happier workforce and more satisfied students/customers, and the improvement in the quality of education Aston offers would help to sustain it a bit longer when the TEFL bubble bursts.

Two ways to make money here: strategies for maximal profit which sideline quality of teaching (like a fast food restaurant that starts serving crappy food assuming its not as important as their mascot, interior design, and advertising jingles); strategies for profit based on insuring and improving quality of teaching in conjunction with improved curriculum and having something to advertise in the first place other than a foreign carbon-based unit in front of a chalk board. Astons put too much money and effort into the packaging and is short shrifting the contents.

If I were on their board Id suggest investing more money into the teachers. Now Aston is like a ball team that pays its players squat, and thinks it doesnt matter if they lose every game as long as theyre out there in their positions in uniforms. But how can it not matter? Teaching is a service industry, and the service is in the class and its the most important thing.

Lastly, schools like Aston can offer a humanitarian service all around, providing needed English education and thus creating all sorts of opportunities for Chinese students, while also providing decent jobs and opportunities for squadrons of would be teachers. Instead, the teachers are overworked and come out of it breaking even, and the students get jokers for teachers. And all that needs to be done is tweaking a screw to fix the problem.

wendy_h80 - 2010-07-17
Yinchuan Aston

I just saw this ad for the Yinchuan Aston School and I want to warn everyone about this chain and this school in particular as I once worked there as a teacher.

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/China/index.pl?read=152472

Do not go there to work as the head master Mr. Zhong is a weasel who will not say anything to your face but uses whom ever is the foreign manager to do his dirty work for him. when I was there we were not paid for our overtime and we were weaselled out of our holidays even though in the contract it states that we are to get 14 days holidays plus the standard Chinese holidays paid too!

Most of the staff are nice but there were a few of the usual spies as you will find in any school. Chinese staff workers ``Linda`` and ``Carmel`` are now gone but they have been replaced from what I have been told with other spies.

Our complaints went to the head office in Dalian and were ignored by the people there. You will not get any help from the owners of AES who are the head company for the Aston chain of schools. Do not waste your time here pay is terrible and you are promised bonuses but never get one. You will never hear back from any complaints you send to Dalian as they there in Dalian do not want to loose face with their franchises who are making them money.

So if you want to be a dancing monkey go here to Yinchuan Aston or any of its other schools!

Return to Index › Yinchuan Aston

Go to another board -