TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Certification
#1 Parent Justin P. - 2010-08-08
Re: Certification

Sorry, I thought I replied to this a long time ago. You're right, there isn't. At first, they simply said "certification". That was part of the confusion because my original thought was, "That's so ridiculous, those things don't even exist." I responded by asking her for further information; at least in the U.S., teachers are licensed by a state and those licenses do not extend past the state border nor are they valid once the teacher leaves the employ of a school within the state. The lady was very helpful, even though I was no longer a candidate for hire, and explained that they were looking for someone that has been licensed/certified at some point in the past in whatever country they are from to teach. They also wanted years of teaching experience in whatever subject was being taught (math or physics, in my case).

So, if I could have gotten that job in Shenzhen teaching math and physics both and worked there for 2 years, I could be a candidate for the high paying position in Anhui as I was authorized by the Chinese government to teach AND would have had 2 years experience teaching relevant subjects.

#2 Parent Migrant Worker - 2010-07-30

Hello Justin,

I can sympathize with your rant, as I have missed out on a few excellent opportunities solely because I was not "certified". In some people's world, a piece of paper means more than actual raw talent, acquired knowledge and passion. So I have taken steps to earn my CELTA and possibly a bachelor's in education (I am seriously considering using a diploma mill for the second option). I have been teaching for about 5 years now and have NEVER once received any strong complaints (other than please speak a little slower). But apparently, this does not make a "real" qualified teacher.

I always considered a certified teacher as a person that was certified by their home government to teach in a public school. If you feel you have the skills, and want to take a risk then give the idea of fake documents a go.

If you are really a good teacher, and they find out down the road that your certification is fake... chances are they won't care either. I mean the paper is to prove your ability/skills, isn't it? If you prove your skills and passion but the paper isn't real, then the ends still justify the means, right? Qualifications don't always mean you are going to get a good candidate. The issue at hand is to convince them you are the best candidate and then prove it. So do whatever it takes to convince them and then prove it.

In the words of Albert Einstein "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

#3 Parent englishgibson - 2010-07-30

Justin, I would like to believe you could teach that 20,000-30,000 Yuan monthly gig from your sleep, but I find it somewhat difficult to believe there're such online courses that offer the real teaching cert the school in case is asking for.
Cheers and beers

#4 Parent Justin - 2010-07-29

Yes, I've probably asked before. In this case, it was meant mostly as a frustrated rant. It was because I applied to a 20000-30000 a month job teaching advanced calculus, physics, etc. I could teach it in my sleep, really. They were very strict on the "be certified" requirement, however. I want to be angry but I can't blame them and at that kind of pay they can get what they want.

I've already found another job; public university (not the Beihang one), low pay, teaching English, in Beihai. They don't give a crap about certification which leads me to my first serious question: do you think, even if it's just an online course, that it would help me to be better prepared to teach? Forget the job requirements stuff; from a practical stand-point do they actually teach anything useful? I want to be a good teacher and suddenly I worry that I may not be a good teacher since I've never taught anything except guitar for a year (in 2000). The school seems very pleased with my qualifications but I don't want to let my students down by being a poor teacher. If the online courses can teach information that's actually useful, then they would be worth it. What do you think?

Return to Index › Re: Certification

Go to another board -