TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Leaving in a week...
#1 Parent JP - 2010-08-24
Re: Leaving in a week...

Thanks for the great post! I agree, whatever preconceptions I have about the experience are likely very wrong.

I will be in the south. Lets say Haikou. I've heard about the lack of heating; they will even cut the power to students after 11pm, at some places. They don't do that where I work, even to students. I'm hoping to find a small space heater and just use that. I've been told the bedroom is 20 square meters and the living room is the same size so a personal heater should be adequate for that, I hope. I'm actually looking forward to learning to cook; I actually much prefer cooking for myself. Typically I eat alot of vegetables, perhaps some chicken/fish/pork, and lots of fruit. I'm sure I'll get tired of it, though.

Right, "nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there", eh? I've heard it's a rather tame place to live. I don't know of any KTV but I'm sure they have a few. This is more of a "bring the family, swim on the beach, enjoy the sights". Kind of like Hawaii or the Bahamas are in the U.S. I think the streets roll up after dark.

Yah, I probably shouldn't have used the vagabond comment. Really there was no reason to say that, I'm sorry. I have seen some really "relaxed" FT pictures from China, though. I spent a large portion of my life living in SE Georgia where temperatures would regularly reach 105-110 F and rarely drop below 95% humidity. All of my suits are made for hot weather.. but you're probably right. I might be cussing myself before long (at least winter is coming). I do enjoy wearing them, however, they just feel great. Maybe when the folks visit, they'll be carrying back half of my work clothes. I'm sure you know better than I.

Yes, I studied it for 3 years plus 2 years of corresponding with 5+ pen pals. This is actually my primary purpose for moving to China (to try to perfect my study of it). As a mechanical and aerospace engineer, the language would be very useful to me and could result in considerably higher pay. Or not. A gamble, really.

You make a good point, regarding the "tall poppies" comment. I'm assuming you mean being screwed over by the school, if they think I'm rich, correct? I'll read that thread and certainly give it some serious consideration. I'm also taking my favorite (and most worn out) clothes to wear around the house; I could look like a real bum if I wanted to (I mean it, many of those items are falling apart, but I love them).

I've tried my best to learn about life there, especially through the daily lives of my penpals. However, they are not me and things will surely be different. I'll check out the books you recommended. I've already read "Cultureshock" by Eagan/Weiner, "Living Abroad in China" by the Strothers, "Doing Business in China" by Plafker, and "Living in China" by Weiner/Murphy/Li. Even so, I don't think anyone could read enough books to know what to expect. It's all uncertain and unknown for me which makes me feel a bit anxious. On the other hand, I'm not sure anyone could ever really be prepared for this sort of thing...

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

JP

#2 Parent al76 - 2010-08-23

Everyone seems focused on the 700 RMB. That's just to get me to my apartment

good. sorry if you thought I was breaking your balls over this man.

I don't not particularly expect a Western quality of living. If I did, I would have gotten a job in a large city.

Here I am going to disagree man. Try saying that after you have lived in a small traditionally chinese town, esp. in the boondocks for some time. It can become very "cabin feverish" esp. in the brutally cold and damp winter. Which leads to which part of China are you planning on working in? In South China there is zero, zip, nada in the way of indoor heating...not much fun if your on your own with just the internet for company in the sticks somewhere. At least with western supermarkets stocking a range of imported goods you can cook for yourself at home, noodles, rice and vegetables and fish and fatty pork soon become tiresome bought from the wet market. If you like all that, maximum respect to you. Horses for courses and all that jazz:)

This is a small, rural town (whose biggest business is Hong Kong businessmen on vacation). The only western things I will want are healthcare/dental (which I can get in Hong Kong, paid for with my 0 deductible international health insurance) and AIR CONDITIONING <--- #1 Everything else, I don't care.

A/C should be no problem at all, in fact if it's in Guangdong as I suspect it is, it will be standard, as springtime, summer (essential!) and even autumn can be too brutal without it. The small, rural part would bother me though. Those guys come on vacation, do business, have fun with the ktv girls, then leave. You are going to be there for a year according to contract,but as you say you have cash to leave, so no worries.

If you want to look like a vagabond, that's your choice.

Just because you wear jeans and a t shirt, doesn't make you a vagabond. Just saying the dress code is relaxed, outside of the training centres. I also own shirts and ties, but try wearing them in the summer, not much fun at all...

I also expect to do some interviews as I plan to put my engineering degrees to work as soon as possible to get a better job.

Do you know much Chinese? There are many Chinese engineers, and they are mostly working overseas, esp. in Africa and the middle east.

In the meantime, teaching English is a good way to get in country and provide a stable living location and overdressing will only help.

You may want to rent your own apartment after seeing some of the so called "stable living locations" offered in small, rural towns. Factor that into the equation. Overdressing could actually work against you, as it may cause the Chinese to perceive you as a rich laowai, and thus they will try and cut corners on you and you will be screwed. Not trying to sound all doom or gloom, not against you personally at all, just I've been here a few years, and the "tall poppies" always get trimmed down...read some of the posts on here, esp the jiujiang university thread.

I can get out if it all goes bad but I really hope it doesn't.

It shouldn't man and I wish you all the best in the world. Just remember things don't operate the same as they do in the West, and if you have done any teaching in the US/business dealings things are not inherently as they seem here. 99 percent of the time face is on the table, and you won't even know it. At the very least read doing business in China for dummies, and Mr China, just to get a heads up. You may think your boss is nice and everyone is friendly....don't trust him or so called new "friends"

Again, all the best. Hope it goes well. Just forewarned is forearmed.

#3 Parent Justin P. - 2010-08-23

Everyone seems focused on the 700 RMB. That's just to get me to my apartment... I've got around 6900 in my Bank of America account that I can withdraw from any China Construction Bank ATM (which is also the bank the school uses), and if I really need cash my Bank of America account is semi-connected with my parents in that they can directly transfer fund into it (but not vice versa). I will not want for money. Also, Alain, I don't not particularly expect a Western quality of living. If I did, I would have gotten a job in a large city. This is a small, rural town (whose biggest business is Hong Kong businessmen on vacation). The only western things I will want are healthcare/dental (which I can get in Hong Kong, paid for with my 0 deductible international health insurance) and AIR CONDITIONING <--- #1 Everything else, I don't care.

I wear the clothes I wear because I have personal standards. I find the fitted clothes I have are much more comfortable than T-shirts and denim pants. I know the other teachers will not dress the same, I've already been told so by my friends that teach there; it's a personal practice. If you want to look like a vagabond, that's your choice. I also expect to do some interviews as I plan to put my engineering degrees to work as soon as possible to get a better job. In the meantime, teaching English is a good way to get in country and provide a stable living location and overdressing will only help.

I find it strange that people are focusing on the money and clothes... those are the things I worry about least. My biggest concerns are the contract and the visa. I'm also concerned that I don't think any curricula will be provided, simply "go in and talk with them." I would admit, I am probably a bit naive. I've only done a few months of research and I'm accepting a risk on imperfect terms. I can get out if it all goes bad but I really hope it doesn't.

JP

Return to Index › Re: Leaving in a week...

Go to another board -