TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Teaching English without Degree
#1 Parent Nick Pellatt - 2010-09-10
Re: Teaching English without Degree

Hi Carol

It might be worth looking at the Open University website. Some of the courses you have taken may be used as credit transfer towards a degree? I dont for a minute think they would be equal to a degree, but if you can get some credit for them, a BA/BSc may be a little bit closer. Their distance learning programs are quite good and will make you more competitive in the market place.

I think it has been pointed out that a CELTA would help. If you are looking at entry-level TEFL qualifications, a CELTA (or equivalent like Trinity or SIT) would be the only certs to consider. Anything less than this (an online cert for example) would just put you at a greater disadvantage.

Im sure you could find something in China though. This is only my educated guess, but I would think you would need to look away from the big cities like BJ/SH as the need for minimum qualifications may be stricter there.

And despite the warnings and continual bad vibes about training schools ... some people do have good experiences with them, and are more suited to that type of environment. I would think the best bet if you are offered a job somewhere is to contact one or two of the current teachers, and/or an ex-teacher, and get the low down from them. This would apply for any job, be it a training centre, kindergarten or top tier University.

Carol Cotter - 2010-09-09
Teaching English without Degree

I am writing with an enquiry about teaching english in China.

I do not have a Bachelors Degree,
however for my third level education, I studied Sport Injury Therapy, Physiology and Holistic massage.
A degree is not available in these subjects in Ireland, so I hold three diplomas from this education.

However I also have teaching experience at an Arts and Crafts group at a university, and intend on obtaining a TEFL cert.

Would this be sufficient qualifications to apply to teach english in China?

I have only started researching this, and have heard that it differs from province to province.

I think I would be looking at Guangzhou or Hong Kong, does anyone have any information on teaching without a degree in these areas?

Thanks in advance,

CC

Return to Index › Teaching English without Degree

Go to another board -