TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Is Korea that bad to work in? - ESL discussion
#1 Parent SiamSap - 2005-04-29
I agree with RT - ESL discussion

I agree with RhenoThai. Why would anyone in his right mind sign a contract BEFORE arriving at his new school? Most schools REIMBURSE for plane rides anyway, so I believe waiting to sign a contract until you know all is as advertised is prudent. Signing a contract when you are halfway around the world is just asking for trouble in my book. What happens if you sign a contract then find out your 'single room' is a single room with one bath you share with three other guys? Hey--the contract said single room.

--SiamSap

#2 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-04-27
Response to Eric - ESL discussion

Eric, I just looked at the website you recommended in your post. I read the list of questions one should ask about potential employers, and have a question of my own: Why would anyone sign a contract before arriving at his or her potential new school? I'm not saying that what you say is wrong, I'm just trying to figure out the advantage of signing a contract BEFORE actually seeing the place in person. I would hold off signing anything until I've actually seen the school, met the teachers, inspected my apartment, etc.

RhenoThai
sldv7@cc.usu.edu

#3 Parent Chris - 2005-04-14
This has to be a joke - ESL discussion

Could foreigners be lynched, thrown in to Jail, beaten up, deported, thrown into the sea, worked to death, live in rat-infested hell holes, treated like capitalist aliens?

Eeeeeeeeeek! If that is the case who wants to go there? Somebody enlighten me, I am an ignorant soul.

Come on now...this guy has to be joking.

#4 Parent Worried Joe - 2005-04-07
Is Korea that bad to work in? - ESL discussion

Thanks a lot to all the people who have given positive responses.

Worried Joe

#5 Parent Eric - 2005-04-07
I agree! Do Your Research!! - ESL discussion *Link*

> Hi! Just wanted to point that Korea is not that bad to teach in.
> Before I came here, I was also worried about all the horror stories.
> Yes sometimes people have bad experiences here, you just have to be
> careful about the school you will work for and do your research. It's
> not that bad, I am really enjoying it here. If you have any
> questions, maybe I can help you out - email me.Good Luck!

I agree, I have been in Korea for over 4 years and i love it here. that being said, you need to do your research when finding a job. there are a lot of good and bad jobs out there and knowing the right questions to ask will help. my fiancee and i have put together a list of questions to ask prospective employers here: http://eslhq.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66 i hope that helps you out a little bit.

#6 Parent Worried Joe - 2005-04-05
Is Korea safe? - ESL discussion

Thanks Reena,

The operative word appears to be research. Upon mature reflection my own home (nice little christian community) town appears to be more violent than any city I have been in (and I have been in quite a few big cities), so maybe it is not a bad place after all.

#7 Parent Reena - 2005-04-05
Working in Korea - ESL discussion

Hi! Just wanted to point that Korea is not that bad to teach in. Before I came here, I was also worried about all the horror stories. Yes sometimes people have bad experiences here, you just have to be careful about the school you will work for and do your research. It's not that bad, I am really enjoying it here. If you have any questions, maybe I can help you out - email me.Good Luck!

#8 Parent Mike B. - 2005-04-05
Everybody no, but ... - ESL discussion

I don't fancy living with a bunch of rats in my apartment or hauled down an alley way and kicked mercilessly or thrown into jail.

I don't think anybody does, but has it REALLY happened to anyone who didn't deserve it?

Re: the rats
Would you sign a 12 month contract on an apartment, even a a "free" one over internet without even checking it out if it were in your home country? I doubt it. So why do it from halfway around the world.

Re: hauled down an alleyway
If you are staggering around drunk with a wallet full of cash you're likly to be mugged anywere in the world, I would guess in Korea you're safer than most places, given the fact white folks aren't assumed to be richer than the locals.

Re: thrown into jail.
Just because the laws may be different to what you think they should be, you still have to obey them.

Hey, Joe,
Don't Worry, Be Happy

#9 Parent LT - 2005-04-04
e) f)..............

e)Stupid enough to s##t on the street and badly beat a man 2 vs 1. Cowards.

> If you are one of the following:

> a) Spoiled brat rich kid just out of college used to having
> everything your own way.
> b) A drunk who likes to get into brawls.
> c) A drug user of any kind.
> d) Stupid enough to sign a contract from half-way around the world
> without doing any research into the company or person you are signing
> for.

> Then you can be pretty sure you'll have a tough time of it here.

> If you fail to meet any of the above requirements you'll probably
> find it tough but rewarding.

> If you come from a very poor country where you made barely enough to
> cover costs, let alone save anything, you'll probably love it.

#10 Parent Worried Joe - 2005-04-04
response to Mick B - ESL discussion

Are you suggesting that everyone who makes comments about Their harrowing experiences in Korea are: drunkards, spoilt rich kids, drug addicts, entirely bereft of any intelligence?

I am neither of these things, just a concerned punter. I don't fancy living with a bunch of rats in my apartment or hauled down an alley way and kicked mercilessly or thrown into jail.

Eeeeeeeeeeeek! Who wants that?

#11 Parent Mike B. - 2005-04-04
Great Sage Equal of the Heavens is here to enlighten you - ESL discussion

If you are one of the following:

a) Spoiled brat rich kid just out of college used to having everything your own way.
b) A drunk who likes to get into brawls.
c) A drug user of any kind.
d) Stupid enough to sign a contract from half-way around the world without doing any research into the company or person you are signing for.

Then you can be pretty sure you'll have a tough time of it here.

If you fail to meet any of the above requirements you'll probably find it tough but rewarding.

If you come from a very poor country where you made barely enough to cover costs, let alone save anything, you'll probably love it.

Worried Joe - 2005-04-03
Is Korea that bad to work in? - ESL discussion

These horror stories I am hearing about Korea on this discussion forum are worrying to say the least.
Is Korea that bad to work in?

Could foreigners be lynched, thrown in to Jail, beaten up, deported, thrown into the sea, worked to death, live in rat-infested hell holes, treated like capitalist aliens?

Eeeeeeeeeek! If that is the case who wants to go there? Somebody enlighten me, I am an ignorant soul.

Return to Index › Is Korea that bad to work in? - ESL discussion

Go to another board -