TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Tips for FT's Teaching in China re Daily Life
#1 Parent Nick Pellatt - 2010-09-18
Re: Tips for FT's Teaching in China re Daily Life

Good thread. Only two suggestions/comments from me.

Changing currency has been mentioned, but dont forget that ATM cards from home can be used in China. There may not be a need to carry any foreign currency, and using ATM machines may be an easy route to changing your money to RMB.

Enjoy China. But not too much. Use the free time constructively and avoid becoming a 'stuck in China' teacher. With light schedules and free time, China is the perfect place to start or continue your studies, earn a BA, or an MA Tesol. If you already have all the academic qualifications you are ever likely to need, then use the time to learn something else. Make the free time count, and then when the time comes to move on, you'll probably find a new job easier.

#2 Parent Turino - 2010-09-17

If you wish to convert foreign currency into RMB, go downtown to one of the major branches of the Bank of China, but not at weekends. Opening hours of the bank are likely to be from 8.30 am until 6 pm, but winter opening hours will probably be somewhat different. Remember to take your passport with you.

Not always, it differs. Some will, some won't. Easier to get a chinese friend you know and trust, to use their ID to change it for you.

I thought that Chinese banks were always eager to obtain the likes of US dollars. So,I'm somewhat surprised by what you have posted re that. But of course, I am aware that the other way around would indeed be a problem without approval from your school/college/university/training centre.
Thanks for your input re the above and also re my other tips. It's all good stuff for the rest of us.

#3 Parent Ivan Milat - 2010-09-16

1) If you dislike eating Chinese bread, you can slice steamed bread and toast it. IMO it's tastier and sugar-free.

In Zhejiang province at least, Trust Mart sells white sliced bread which is western style, good for sandwiches and toast. Alternatively, I highly recommend buying a toaster oven for baking muffins, making pizza, lasagne and so on. A godsend if you like to cook at home and not uber-expensive.

2) If you wish to convert foreign currency into RMB, go downtown to one of the major branches of the Bank of China, but not at weekends. Opening hours of the bank are likely to be from 8.30 am until 6 pm, but winter opening hours will probably be somewhat different. Remember to take your passport with you.

Not always, it differs. Some will, some won't. Easier to get a chinese friend you know and trust, to use their ID to change it for you.

3) Using a shortwave radio that cost me about 70 Yuan, and a long wire antenna whose far end is tied to a tree, I can receive Radio Nederland's English broadcasts, BBCWS, VOA, Radio Australia and Radio New Zealand clearly.

www.audials.com I can receive radio from around the world, right to my pc desktop, high quality and no static, and can even record it to mp3 for posterity.

Another tip, to make pasta sauce on the cheap, at the local lanzhou lamian place, buy a tin of tomato paste off them (cheap) and grow your own herbs, it's much cheaper than paying through the nose for imported pasta sauce.

Cheers
IM

Turino - 2010-09-15
Tips for FT's Teaching in China re Daily Life

1) If you dislike eating Chinese bread, you can slice steamed bread and toast it. IMO it's tastier and sugar-free.

2) If you wish to convert foreign currency into RMB, go downtown to one of the major branches of the Bank of China, but not at weekends. Opening hours of the bank are likely to be from 8.30 am until 6 pm, but winter opening hours will probably be somewhat different. Remember to take your passport with you.

3) Using a shortwave radio that cost me about 70 Yuan, and a long wire antenna whose far end is tied to a tree, I can receive Radio Nederland's English broadcasts, BBCWS, VOA, Radio Australia and Radio New Zealand clearly.

4) For those who like eating cheese, but resent paying the high prices here of said product, you can try bean curd as a cheese substitute. It must be healthier than most cheeses - bean curd contains no animal fat There are two kinds that I can recommend. Both are sold in small jars:
i) white bean curd for those who prefer cheese that is mild or slightly strong.
ii) smelly bean curd for those who prefer very strong cheese.

Return to Index › Tips for FT's Teaching in China re Daily Life

Go to another board -