TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Usage of the expression "in one lump sum"
#1 Parent Grammaticurse - 2010-10-08
Re: Usage of the expression "in one lump sum"

My take only!

A lump sum is a single payment of money, as opposed to a series of payments made over time (such as an annuity). It could be an agreement where an owner pays for a complete project by a contractor and does not require a breakdown of every cost.

1. I bought my house with one lump sum. Not as good as 3, but I bought my house by paying one lump sum would be equivalent to 3.
2. I bought my house in one lump sum. Not as good as 3, but next best. Compare I bought my house by means of a single payment (would be equivalent to 3).
3. I paid for my house in one lump sum. Best answer, compare "in one fell swoop", same kind of logic at work re that expression.
4. I paid for my house with one lump sum. Third-best answer, because in one lump sum is the better expression. Compare I paid for my house with dollars , which would be correct in terms of usage.
However, not one of 1 to 4 is grammatically wrong in my opinion.

My second question is can you use the expression "paid in full" to mean "one lump sum"? Am I using the expression correctly, in that context, in the following sentences?
5. I paid for my house in full. This could mean by 2 instalments, for example. So, it has a different meaning from "in one lump sum".
When I bought my house I paid in full. This could mean that I was unable to obtain any discount at the time of buying my house, ie I paid the full price for my house./i] Alternatively, I could have paid a deposit initially to secure the house, quickly followed by the balance owed, at which time I'd have paid in full, is another possible variant.
I think pay in full does not necessarily mean a single or a one-off entire payment - that's a problem, the ambiguity, that is.

Glen - 2010-10-08
Usage of the expression "in one lump sum"

Hello,
I'm confused about how to use the expression "one lump sum", in the context of buying something. Are the following sentences grammatically correct?
1. I bought my house with one lump sum.
2. I bought my house in one lump sum.
3. I paid for my house in one lump sum.
4. I paid for my house with one lump sum.
My second question is can you use the expression "paid in full" to mean "one lump sum"? Am I using the expression correctly, in that context, in the following sentences?
5. I paid for my house in full.
6. When I bought my house I paid in full.

Return to Index › Usage of the expression "in one lump sum"

Go to another board -