TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › eight-minute oral examinations
#1 Parent been around - 2010-10-30
Re eight-minute oral examinations

Yes, it's 6 minutes and not 8. I'm pretty sure they won't be holding a stopwatch over you for each student, but even so, you can stretch the 3rd part (Q&A) if need be. As others have noted in this thread, you really only need 4-5 minutes to arrive at a fair score if you are assessing one-on-one. I think if you go in and conduct the assessment in a manner similar to what I outlined, your center will not quibble between 6 and 8 minutes. And again, if you set up your spreadsheet properly beforehand, you'll have grades ready to be turned in almost immediately and not even have to worry about the 500 RMB penalty.

It sucks that you only have a week to do it now, so you'll have to find the extra time. In the future, plan that extra week into your schedule and things will move smoothly.

Believe me, once you do it this way, you'll never want to go back to any other way. And I think it gives the fairest, most accurate assessment as to where students stand at the end of the semester.

#2 Parent Jim - 2010-10-30

Thanks for your detailed post concerning how you give your end of semester oral exams. Very useful to many readers, including me.
You did the math for us, and it came to 6 minutes, not 8. You also had the luxury of having double the time available that I will have to complete my end of semester exams. Apples and oranges, eh?

You are obviously a professional foreign teacher. Great! However what you have posted is mostly inapplicable to my problem with exam time per student. And I'm not going to refrain from following the rules provided to me by my Chinese employer in writing in that regard. Who knows what can happen later if I break said rules! Some Chinese employers are very picky.
Thanks again for an extremely informative post.

#3 Parent been around - 2010-10-30

Don't knock it until you've tried it. I feel it is only fair that I assess each student individually. Your opinions may differ, but that's what I believe. How do you assess oral English? Many years ago I sat down and wrote an assessment and accompanying rubric and spreadsheet. It sits on my laptop. I also have about 30 students per class, like the OP, and a 90 minute period. I do not give a mid-term, so the school allows me to use the last two weeks of the school year to give my finals. I divide the class in two by student ID numbers and the first half of the class (@15) comes the first week of finals and the second half the second week. So the assessments are done during regular class time. The assessment is in three parts. The first minute is a listening test. I read 10 pairs of similar sounding sentences and the S simply tells if they are the SAME or DIFFERENT. (E.g. "The old man smelled." "The old man smiled."-DIFFERENT) This takes one minute and counts for 20 points (20% of their final grade). The second part is pronunciation. I have them read ten sentences with a few pronunciation issues embedded (e.g. "usually," "think," etc.). I just listen and starting at 40, I subtract one point for each error. I divide (or rather the computer divided) the final result in 2 so the pronunciation score accounts for another 20%. I then have a large group of TEM-4, CET-6, TOEFL-type Topics (eg. "If you were the mayor of this city, what would be the first thing you would do.", etc.) I choose one and read it and give the students 20 seconds to prepare. They speak for about 2 minutes and I'll ask them one or two questions on topic for another minute. All the while, I have my spreadsheet in front of me and am typing in scores for Comprehension, Vocabulary, Grammar, Fluency, and Creativity for a total of 50 points (10 apiece). Finally I give them up to 10 points for Class participation 9Which I have previously determined and input into the spreadsheet. Wen they finish, their final score is already computed (though I don't tell them). And though I'll take a quick look through all the scores, I rarely have to make many adjustments. I can literally print out the spreadsheet and hand it in immediately after the class, if necessary. I arrange two rooms. The tsudents sit in one. I usually bring a DVD for them to watch while they are waiting. The sound from the DVD (which I can hear from the next room) covers the sound from myself and the student I am examining. It takes about a minute in between students (which is when I recheck their score) so 6 minutes/per student = 90 minutes. And I'm done as soon as the last student leaves. No student in the same class gets the same question. While they could possibly try to record the first part (the minimal pairs sentences) and let their classmates listen, I've never caught anyone, but being aware of it, I watch closely and I also mix up the sentences (eg. "The old man smiled." The old man smiled." SAME

I would hate to have to go back and do it any other way. I'd hate to have to sit in a room while students give prepared speeches or sit around listening to pairs or groups of students struggle through some topic AND try to get a listening score out of that tp boot. So don't knock it until you've tried it. It's much, much easier if you take a little time to prepare for it the first time (i.e. make the spreadsheet, collect the questions). After that it's a breeze.

P.S. This is my first post. I sometimes read this site, but the negativity really turns me off. So go ahead and flame me as seems to be wont here, but sometimes the glass IS half full in teaching in China.

#4 Parent Oldtimer - 2010-10-29

Oral exams of eight minutes' duration are totally unnecessary at Chiense universities and colleges. Laughable that the dean of the English department expects his foreign teachers to administer oral exams of great length when 3-4 minutes will suffice. You're working for an idiot. Get out of there as soon as you can!

jim - 2010-10-27
eight-minute oral examinations

The private institute in mainland China in which I'm currently teaching has instructed me to give my students an eight-minute oral examination one after the other. There are 30 students in almost every class, and I've 9 classes, each scheduled for 90 minutes a week with me. I've 2 classes in a row in the morning on 3 days of each week. The obvious time problem giving the exam as specified above has been disregarded or not even identified by the powers that be, and there's no extra time to continue the exam as students have the classes of their native teachers to attend. Also,there wouldn't be extra pay for the 40 clock-hour week that would be necessary. And there's a fine of 500 RMB for handing in grades late. The other oral FT's here teaching oral English will also be expected to give 8-minute oral exams to their students one by one. Exam in the corridor, students within eyeshot of me, in a staggered seating configuration! But most have electronic dictionaries and cellphones, rich kids, ugh!
Anyone else out there having to do so, and how will you do so while trying to deny your students the opportunity to cheat, given there's no language lab available?

Return to Index › eight-minute oral examinations

Go to another board -