TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › GUATEMALA: Colegio Bilingue Mundo Infantil y (Mundo) Juventud
#1 Parent Visas Schmisas - 2010-11-01
Re GUATEMALA: Colegio Bilingue Mundo Infantil y (Mundo) Juventud

It sounds like HELL. Thanks for taking the time to post this, I've always worried about South America and this has just confirmed it...no way jose for me!

Cheers
VS

J. Smith - 2010-11-01
GUATEMALA: Colegio Bilingue Mundo Infantil y (Mundo) Juventud

GUATEMALA: Colegio Bilingue Mundo Infantil y (Mundo) Juventud Morales, Izabal,
*ONLY bilingual school in Morales, Izabal, Guatemala
A compilation of teacher experiences:
1. Most teachers stay for around 6 weeks
2. There is a catch as to why 1 teacher stayed for a long period of time(also illegal).
3. It's really a business and the principal assures her friend's children receive good grades.
4. The principal tries to bully you if you give certain students low grades.
5. If you're from a smaller country like the UK or Canada(like most of their teachers) and think you'll be in charge, you're wrong.
6. Most of the students are connected to family in Los Angeles, California(and New York). So they're not weak. (If you do not understand the previous sentence, you're dead on arrival.)
7. It's like teaching at an inner-city school in L.A., minus school shootings.
8. The students expect to be in charge of the foreign teacher.
9. The foreign teacher always gets, The Devil's Class.
10. The teachers fear the families of some students will come to the school with a gun if you give to much non-violent discipline to a student(or take a student's cell phone)
11. Make something up, they do that too(ie They go through your garbage to get information about you) TRUE!
12. There is a problem with students and teachers sleeping together. Although it's the only thing you can do to be fired. The principal does NOT stop students from constantly flirting and touching.
13. The saddest thing, the host (principal) won't tell you about a lot of people(students too) having STDs(ie HIV). Some teachers come clean and leave dirty. They'll try to give you an infected partner.

A few quotes:
We're used to bullying teachers for good grades (in Spanish)(I think they meant foreign teachers).
I don't want that grade. I want a __. I want to give you $%^&(explicit) for a grade. (during class, the student has an STD)
We're all gang members(male) Us too(female). I would also use the word prostitute.
You know they hate foreigners here. (everyone says this)

Your Apartment
1. Weekly tarantula visits(lol,seriously)
2. Weekly clogged kitchen sink
3. a little mold
4. floods, especially during the rainy season
5. The shower has visible electrical wires behind it on the wall. The second part of the shower head has a long rubber tube that water and an electrical current comes out of. Soon you'll have electric showers.
6. The A.C. only works in the bedroom which isn't the room with the remoteless TV.
7. Your apartment receives hot water from a house. On purpose the principal(host) has people(herself, maids,etc) turn off your hot water(as a threat or way to control you). Even worse and more dangerous, they turn the hot water ALL the way on so it SCOLDS(melted a pipe) you.

Upside
1. They will pay you.
2. There are a few good, disciplined students.
3. You only live 4 hours away from Guatemala City.(lol)
I know there are mistakes in the message. I'm an English teacher.
- Feel free to post this on any ESL forum. Especially in the UK, Canada, Australia, and U.S.

Return to Index › GUATEMALA: Colegio Bilingue Mundo Infantil y (Mundo) Juventud

Go to another board -