TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Beware of Storytel in Mokpo - Korea
#1 Parent Christine - 2008-09-09
Teaching English at Storytel

Hi Emily,

Can you please tell me a little more about your school? I am interested in teaching english in Mokpo. How many students do you have? Teachers? Curriculum? thank you.

#2 Parent Helen - 2008-01-15
Re: Beware of Storytel in Mokpo - Korea

You will notice that a female responded to this incident, and not the male who was directly involved.
Beware of StoryTel in MokPo. Her husband is a violent offender, and she is violent with the children, as you will see. You can do much better in Mokpo. The part about never bringing someone on a one-way air ticket is a complete falsehood, also, I'm afraid.

#3 Parent Sam Scott - 2008-01-15
"There are good and bad", and There are no rules

Mercy Mercy Me.

#4 Parent callmefred - 2008-01-15
Re: It sounds like the return ticket in China. NOT FAIR !!

quote: Just another dream.

Not fair !!!. I've always had me return ticket pledges honoured with no argument. It depends entirely on the school/college/uni. that you are working for. There are good and bad, thankfully mine have been good, as has the experience of many others.

You shouldn't tar them all with the same brush.

#5 Parent Ive heard - 2008-01-15
It sounds like the return ticket in China

Just another dream.

#6 Parent Been there, done that ... - 2008-01-15
Severance pay - You're kidding, right?

Schools Don't always pay, forget about it//

#7 Parent Marlo - 2008-01-15
Considence!

I knew a girl from South Africa with problems getting her severance pay. Same tax excuses.

#8 Parent Emily - 2008-01-15

I don't know this person and I swear my conscience is clear. I respected all my previous employees and had given everyone salaries as well as severance pay. I never employed anyone with only one way ticket. I used to settled money matters before finishing our contract. I wish if this person is quite sure about this acusation why don't you reveal yourself? I hope you won't jeopardize others business for God sake. Happy new year and May God Bless You bountifully.

#9 Parent sun - 2008-01-15

I think Drew was only trying to help you. Here is my 3cents (advice): Ask the school to give you the phone number (no emails) of present and if possible past ESL teachers to speak to them asap. If the school say no, then find another school.

Also, ask the school if they have or had problems paying severance money to teachers and mention the 20% tax deductions that Helen pointed out above.

All the best..

-sun

#10 Parent Teresa Swart - 2008-01-15

I'd like to plead with you not to play this game. I have given up everything to go, and I need honesty. I cannot take the chance, and that is why I am interested in speaking with Helen - I'd like her side, in order to make an informed decision (of course the school will only tell their side). Please, this isn't funny.

#11 Parent Drew - 2008-01-15

Why you don't ask the directors of this school about this incident.
Good luck! Drew

#12 Parent Teresa Swart - 2008-01-15

Can you please get in touch with me....I have just signed a contract with the same school (would like some details before I leave South Africa).
My email address is: teresaswart@absamail.co.za and skype: limideysel
THIS IS VERY URGENT, PLEASE!

Helen - 2008-01-15
Beware of Storytel in Mokpo - Korea

The directors Emily and Cho did not give me my severance pay, or my airfare, after working for them for a year. They always deducted twenty percent for taxes which I loater found to be excessive. Her husband made advances to me behind his wife's back. He became violent when I questioned them about not giving me my severance pay, and threw me out into the street. I'm bringing legal action against them, ut don't have much hope. I went to the police, too, and filed charges there. Be careful in Korea. I have heard many horror stories like mine.

Return to Index › Beware of Storytel in Mokpo - Korea

Go to another board -