TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › China: Think twice before working at Hui Hua UNI in Shijiazhuang, China (and don't expect sympathy if you get sick (even if its cancer).
#1 Parent Welshwales - 2010-11-12
Re Think twice before working at Hui Hua UNI in Shijiazhuang, China (and don't expect sympathy if you get sick (even if its cancer).

Don't be taken in by all this 'losing face' nonsense here. When it's about money, the Chinese conveniently have no regrets whatsoever about losing face. They use it as a kind of body armor to protect themselves from the anger of hesitant laowei whom they've duped. Know your employers' minds and you can know how to deal with their unscrupulous actions. Fight the good fight by humbling them with cross words when they show you how black their hearts are by their deceitful actions re holding back cash due you. Don't take any bad treatment by your bosses lying down. Instead, show them you have spirit, and teach them a good lesson in the process, so that you'll never be forgotten, and can hold your head high, unlike those foreigners who come here as people pleasers and turn the other cheek or avoid a just confrontation like weaklings do.
Why, the Chinese even insist on receiving very substantial bribes from their so-called Chinese friends before they'll use the infamous 'special relationship' to help their fellow countrymen or the immediate relatives of same get something undeserved on merit, like a good job or a place at a good university. The culture here is rotten to the core, and should be exposed as such at every opportunity.

#2 Parent Ambientman - 2010-11-12
Re Think twice before working at Hui Hua UNI in Shijiazhuang, China (and don't expect sympathy if you get sick (even if its cancer).

Hi, I know SAFEA, but what is the best way to go about reporting them, since I am back home in the states? I would like to report them for unprofessional behavior.

#3 Parent homie - 2010-11-12

here is something that i wanna say to Sanguine

I am in China for quite a long time, i think my word deserved to be considered. you said in that "I know you in this regard, as you explained numerous scenarios to us, in which you got nothing done even though you said you complained a great deal. this exactly showed that the school basically won't listen to criticism and have no intention to change. I' ve been through this before with my school. Unless you have some special relationship with the important people, seldom people will give a damn about what a random people's complain. It obviously not that he doesn't wanna change, this is china and i've tried to change, usually you got nothing back or even you loose afterward, which is even worse.

Best wishes for ambientmen. Hope you recover soon!

#4 Parent Visas Schmisas - 2010-11-09

Cooper is a stupid name for a boy anyway. And he is a boy. Any professional and sensitive individual would not make someone do such a stupid trip, when so seriously ill. They need to be reported to SAFEA, consulates, and kicked out of their jobs.

#5 Parent Dragonized - 2010-11-08

Holy smokes this is truly a nightmare! Yeah what a bunch of immature idiots. Cooper and Catherine need to be disciplined with at least a scolding and then be made to wear a dunce cap and stand in the corner. Of course this is all after they finally get sent back to kindergarten since they obviously never made it through there!

Please take care of yourself. We all (at least the ones on this board with a conscience) wish you the best!

#6 Parent Visas Schmisas - 2010-11-07

"This was the same excuse Darren Russel used for why he stayed at his school, he could not bear to leave the students, a foolish mistake on his part. Not speaking ill of the dead, but he should have left pronto, and perhaps you should have as well."

@ Sanguine: Very true words. I would place personal safety and security above that of students, who will get another white or brown monkey to replace you by the school in no time. If you think things are going pear shaped, then leave....fast! It is that simple!

#7 Parent Ambientman - 2010-11-07

You made a few mistakes in your post, but first:

Maybe (or even likely) this is just a simple case of hindsight making me realize more than I did at the time. Because I did not like the school, nowhere did I say those words. How could I like it when the leaders were so poor (and invisible) and some of the people I had contact with, who represented the leaders, so uncaring (Catherine/Cooper)? Again, positive feelings were mostly because of the students and very good friends I made in the city and have nothing to do with the environment, location, leaders, apartment, the school itself or anything else, which all sucked. Friends have an amazing power over emotions/judgment sometimes, almost every human being has experienced this. Maybe I let my students constant questions of whether I would stay or not get to me. Again, this is a complicated situation, maybe more than you realize.

But in the end, I would not recommend anyone work at this school. The point is, they are slow/stagnant on repairs, have poor leaders, hire dubious characters to deal with foreign teachers and don't care about foreign employees, my situation being good evidence of that. Plus, sometimes it takes a long time for us to realize just how bad things are/were, again, no problem with that. You seem to think everyone can just realize a bad situation right away, or within a few months and simply leave. I guess it took me more than a year to fully grasp it.

Mistakes:
#1: They did not "can" me for having cancer and nowhere did I say that. If it somehow sounded that way to you, it was unintentional, my mistake, but I don't think I said anything even closely resembling that. What I said was, I was diagnosed with it, purchased a ticket and told them the next day I would be leaving. Didn't I say somewhere that I was yelled at for not giving the school enough warning? Come on. The occurrence of events during this time was rapid, but they did not "can" me. I told them I was leaving to get treated back home. I left, I was NOT fired. But they still acted like assholes.

#2: I am not trying to reduce the crapiness of the place. Besides the students/colleagues, nowhere else did I mention anything positive of the school, it sucks, as do the leaders, as I have been saying for some time.

#3: I am not making anything sound trivial here and do not put words in my mouth. In hindsight there was more that I could have done, but it has nothing to do with being a pushover. Instead, if anything, it has to do with me not having enough knowledge (understandable too) of how to take action, like the number to the arbitrator. In retrospect, if I had known about the arbitrator and his/her number, I would have given them a call to talk about my situation. There is a lot (legally) the FL needs to do, that the foreigner (me for instance) may have no clue about. In other words, the FL can get away with not doing something because the FT just doesn't have a clue, giving the contact info of the arbitrator being one of those things (that she did not do).

#4: If it sounds like I am somehow downplaying anything..well, maybe cancer will do that, but it does not excuse their past transgressions. Most things pale in comparison to this illness. Maybe it shows in the writing? Maybe not.

#5: You say staying for the students is a foolish mistake. A subjective opinion and one that is debatable and even wrong. Maybe you don't really get close to many of the students, I have no way of knowing, but perhaps it is the case. But I have good relationships with many of them, especially after I am done teaching them. Not to mention, once again, all the cool friends I made in the city. But the school still sucks. So please separate my positive words for the students/friends/colleagues from the UNI.

#6:
"It sounds like you liked the school"

How in the world did you come to that conclusion based off of what you are quoting or what I have said as a whole??????? I mentioned nothing of the school in what you have quoted. I mentioned things about my students, the friends at english corner and the city and my colleagues. Where does it say in that quote that I liked the school, or even hint towards that sentiment?

Read it again:

"Being from the country side, for the most part, they were more simple than students from larger cities, but seemed interested in learning from a foreigner none the less. Plus, I had a lot of friends through English corner and around the city, so leaving that behind was not as simple as you make it out to be. Plus, I liked my colleagues and befriended a number of them. So try to see both sides, man/mam. Plus their were rumors that the FL might be promoted to tutor, so I signed the contract thinking their could be a new FL and a new start for me and my relations with the UNI." OTHERWISE, THE SCHOOL SUCKED. Nowhere did I mention anything about liking the school.

Students. The school. The two can be separated. I can like the students while hating the school.

#7:
"Now it sounds like you didn't feel that way"

Then you are not reading correctly?

I can not continue to argue this, doc says I need to not stress myself. I thought I made myself clear, maybe not.

1. Students were mostly cool. Friends around the city, colleagues, etc. added to this feeling.
2. But the school sucks, they did a lot of BS things, as I mentioned. None of which are trivial, and never did I word it in a way that made them sound trivial.
3. I was not a pushover persay, but I suppose that their are more things I could have done, especially in hindsight. If I had more knowledge of the system, some of which should have been given to me in the form of documents and contact info, I could have done more. Foreigners can't know EVERYTHING, after all, as much as we would like to think otherwise. How could I know what an arbitrator was or that they existed for my potential aid/benefit? In hindsight, that is the first thing I do if my heater is not fixed within two weeks after first notice: Call the arbitrator and note the part in my contract that talks about living conditions.
4. The leaders especially sucked.
5. The school still sucks. Never did I say I liked it.
6. The way they treated my cancer situation was especially an abomination and naturally and obviously overshadows all other atrocities, maybe that is why my writing appears the way it does to you, that other matters seemed trivial (to you). Well DUH, compared to cancer, they are trivial. But by themselves, they are not.

#8 Parent Sanguine - 2010-11-07

First let me just say I feel for your predicament, and I hope you get better. That said I won't kid glove things in my response, because you've said some things that I really must address.

You know what Sanguine, it is more complicated than you make it out to be. I really liked the students, simple as that, that is why I resigned the contract, get it?

This was the same excuse Darren Russel used for why he stayed at his school, he could not bear to leave the students, a foolish mistake on his part. Not speaking ill of the dead, but he should have left pronto, and perhaps you should have as well.

Being from the country side, for the most part, they were more simple than students from larger cities, but seemed interested in learning from a foreigner none the less. Plus, I had a lot of friends through English corner and around the city, so leaving that behind was not as simple as you make it out to be. Plus, I liked my colleagues and befriended a number of them. So try to see both sides, man/mam. Plus their were rumors that the FL might be promoted to tutor, so I signed the contract thinking their could be a new FL and a new start for me and my relations with the UNI.

It sounds like you liked the school, it also sounds like you now have a lot more that is good to say than bad to say. As I said before, it sounds like most of what you said was trumped up because you were angry about how you were treated. Rightly so, you have a right to be angry, but TA's with a bad personality hardly make for an out of the norm school. Not sure it was as bad as you say, maybe it was only bad to your personal sensibilities, but in the grand scheme of things not so. If it was so bad in you're eyes, at the time, before your cancer, why did you stay? The above things you talked about seem to cancel out the badness, and make it not so bad.

I figured things would improve, like a lot of people in my situation might assume, and they did, somewhat.

Then what exactly is the complaint, other than what happened at the end, which is despicable, but not what you spent a whole post going on about, in which you went on and on in length, saying how truly bad it was. Now it sounds like you didn't feel that way. Sounds rather typical to me now that you have defended your decision to stay.

Though the FL stayed an extra semester and did not leave until my last semester, the next FL was much better, so I was actually kind of right. Though the uncaring nature of the leaders did not totally hit me until the very end. I hope you understand matters more.

I do indeed, your main problem that you spent many paragraphs talking about left the school, so you did not even have that to complain about anymore, unless you mean she left after you left, which would not make sense given your wording. Since your wording says she left while you were still there, as you said you were kind of right, meaning things did get better for you, then there go most of your complaints.

Also, I resent being called a push over.

Sorry to hear that.

NO. I am not.

OK, you are not.

You do not even know me,

No, but I know your actions, and what you did, and did not do in response to things you specifically told all of us. Hence, while you are right, I don't know you personally, I know you in this regard, as you explained numerous scenarios to us, in which you got nothing done even though you said you complained a great deal.

I stand up for myself when my friends are whispering to me to shut up, that is how far I will go.

Such things are of little consequence. People the world over complain about their jobs and rail away, but in the end don't actually "do" anything. I am not concerned with what you said, as much as I am with what you "did" in response to this horrible treatment you said you got. Anybody can talk, it's quite easy really, doing is harder, and words don't generally count as doing, as so many on this board have said in the past.

I defended my gf against two guys and really hurt both of them after one of them had tried to strike her.

Glad to hear it, too many Chinese men have too little regard for women.

Not a pushover. You do not know how many times I called for my things to be repaired, how many times I had to watch these "repairmen" fumble with what probably were simple things in reality, and how long I had to wait until they were free to come and attempt repair (again).

No offense but, why would you even stick around for this? If anyone on here as ever spent time in 100 plus degree temperatures in a big concrete box, day in and day out, without AC, maybe they will know that it is far from pleasant. You ticked off tons of complaints though. Now you are trying to make it sound like you are the mans man, and would not let anything bother you and make you quit, at least not such trivial things. The problem is that you spoke of them in a way that made it clear you did not find them trivial, though now you act as if they were, and such little things would not make a big tough guy like you quit. However it is that very attitude that is the problem, while you think it's a virtue. I'll explain more in a bit.

My constant suggestions to get outside workers were ignored, as they continued to use the same idiots from within. And my many questions to the FL prove that I am not a push over.

Again, this is not the issue, though from my experience a push over is anyone who can be continually "shined" on with promises and half assed efforts, whilst nothing actually gets done, and they continue to be placated by these half ass efforts and empty promises. Does this description sound familiar yet?

I couldn't care less if my questions pissed her off, I asked more.

Not sure what this has to do with anything, asking questions proves something? I'd have asked more, and before I arrived to sign any contract.

Anyway, these are also not little problems as you seem to point out,

Really, you have talked as if they are little problems in this post, let's continue and we will see where you at the least inferred this was the case by your lack of action, and so called good "gumption" to stick it out.

as many places around the world, even China, these problems would be resolved with more haste and efficiency. I think I was dealing with incompetence more than anything. What can you do besides make phone calls and make the occasional office visit?

You can do this and more out "before" you even get here.

Sanguine, I am not a quitter,

A shame, because sometimes quitting is the best option, and from the sound of it your life would have been better if you had quit, unless you were just making mountains out of mole hills and really liked the place, until the end when they canned you for having cancer. That would have pissed me off to by the way. Doesn't change the fact that it sounds like you are now trying to reduce the level of crappiness of this place to defend your staying.

I will not leave a situation, in life in general, unless it is real bad.

What exactly is real bad? I mean really, in today's modern world I think a lot of what you described was pretty bad, certainly an affront to you personally. Not to mention all the little comforts that are not so little when it gets really hot, or really cold. especially not having heat in the winter. Some people die from this "little" problem, and have their life spans shortened because of such barbaric conditions, but this is not bad? Ah yes, not to you, tough guy. Whilst you may think this kind of stoicism, and it is that, is noble, and admirable, it actually is not. You are sending a message to the school owner that he can easily get away with this kind of crap, and not take care of his foreign employees, that he does not have to treat them right, or honor the terms of the contract, and that's all OK. Why? Because nobody ever "does" anything about it. You have mistaken words for actions my friend. In truth your stoicism is making it harder for the rest of us, who want to have heat in winter, AC in the summer, and "little" things of that nature. Yes you are indeed bold and brave, and noble to take all this crap, but in the end you do yourself and the rest of us a disservice when you do so.

The cancer thing was when it got real bad.

The cancer is a personal illness, and is not connected to how the school treated you prior to it surfacing, and how you were treated in my estimation counts as real bad. I think you need to revamp what you consider tolerable, or acceptable treatment.

Other than that, I am a man who sticks with things and I don't appreciate your tone.

That's a shame, as for being a man who sticks with things, that's the problem here insofar as why there are so many bad jobs, people just "stick" it out, for fear, for stoicism, and for any number of other reasons that themselves are dismal and unacceptable to me.

Maybe you don't really stick with things,

I stick with things just fine, and have been living comfortable in China for over a decade now. Yes "comfortably". I don't stay at a job where I am treated like crap to prove a point to myself, or to others. If my home has no AC and it's 120 degrees, and it doesn't get fixed, I let them know to replace or repair it now, or I am gone. If they don't, I leave. If that is what you consider being a "quitter" than you are sorely misinterpreting both the words meaning and it's spirit, as well as the fact that sometimes quitting is a good and noble thing in and of itself. Do not be so absolutist in your perception of things, quitting does not always a quitter make.

but I believe it is a sign of commitment and character to stay with jobs as long as you can.

I agree to a point and disagree to a point. You can't apply absolutist ideals to what is in truth a mixed bag containing varying shades of grey. You need to go case by case, job by job. Were everyone to follow your philosophy, China would be an even worse place to work than it always is, with the ideals of "stoicism" embraced to the point where we would have to all have cancer and get canned for it before we did something about the harsh treatment we were receiving. As for staying as long as you can, what about as long as you should? We can all tolerate a lot more than we would like to have to, doesn't mean we should. Do you not see the connection between taking a ton of crap, and how this encourages bad employers by letting them know it's OK because you are taking it? I guess not.

NO I DO NOT MAKE OTHER FTs LOOK BAD - HOW DARE YOU!.

I never said you did, and spare us all the righteous indignation if you please. I said you make things worse for the rest of us when you stick around at what you have claimed is a crap job, because you are stoic, and it is bad character to just leave until the skin is falling of your bones. I got ya. However because of this "stoicism" you make finding a good job harder for the rest of us, because you take it, because you stick around, because you just won't quit, unless it gets "real bad". What am I saying that you do not understand?

Runners and similar people make FTs look bad.

Umm, no, and we are not talking about appearances here. I could care less what a crap English school owner thinks. As for other FT's, they know enough to know that runners are sometimes necessary. I was never talking about how we look, because Chinese school owners will always try and perpetuate a bad stereotype about us so as to justify how crappilly they treat us. Therefore, who exactly are you trying to prove anything to? I was never talking about how you look, only about what is best for all of us. You have mixed up some things here. While indeed someone pulling a runner, or even leaving the school with notice, might in your estimation look "bad", I am more concerned about how I am treated, my comfort, and how others who come after me will be treated. Most of us do not enjoy suffering.

The FL made matters worse. But I am a guest to this country, so forgive me if I have certain assumptions that ended up not being met.

I don't know what this means, sounds like you are saying that since you are a guest and don't know the culture that you took a lot because you chalked it up to culture. Could be wrong because your explanation was not good, but I have heard this argument before, and it is one which is responsible for foreigners taking a great deal of crap here.

Again, I DO NOT give FT a bad name and my students words, emails, evaluations, IM messages, etc. speak louder than I ever could. I actually taught them things in a fun way, and they loved it.

No one said you give FT's a bad name, that is your "misinterpretation" of my words. No, I said you make it harder through your own actions, or lack there of for other FT's to find good jobs, and it's because of teachers like yourself, grinding through instead of doing something, that keep things status quo, that status being crappy.

As for the FL liking me, please don't make me gag. I can admit she was pretty, but her personality was so rotten, I didn't even realize most of the time. Plus she had a husband and was trying to have a baby. Ugh, please god I hope you are not right about that! Although she was super jealous of my gf for staying over....ugh, don't want to think of it.

I think it is pretty clear that she liked you maybe, or she simply wanted your attention to make her feel good about herself, as she sounds pretty insecure. She would have sensed your dislike of her, and this her fragile ego could not take, so she needed to lash out and belittle you, as she felt belittled by your dislike. Classic signs of insecurity. However as you said she left, did she not?

My intent is not to bash you, or make you look bad, as appearances seem to matter so much to you, a fact Chinese will take advantage of. No, I am trying to highlight the kind of morals, ethics, and values that can get us into trouble when they are confronted with situation we have never encountered before in our own western countries. Gumption can be a good thing, sticking with something can be a good thing, but it is not a absolute ideal. If things are bad, you leave if things don't improve. You threaten it, intend it, and in the end do it. It is this kind of "action" that will improve things in a country like China, where the almighty buck, and not ethical or moral considerations, rein supreme. Not that those things would matter much either, as morality is a rather elastic thing. No, the only way to change things is to hit people in their pocket books, and in truth this reality is truth the world over. Vaunting your own tolerance for crap, and your ability to take ever larger amounts of it as a noble attribute only makes it harder for the rest of us, as it tells Chinese employers that they can get away with murder. Believe me they are used to hearing complaints, and it disturbs me that you equate words with actions. Your boss could have cared less for your complaints, that was made clear by his lack of "action". Generally only action will breed action, not words. That's why workers through out the world sometimes strike, or even "quit", perish the thought I know.

Maybe the job was not as bad as you painted it, and you only did so because you were angry, or maybe it was as bad as you made it sound. Sounded pretty bad to me, though in this message you have tried to downplay this in your attempts to defend staying. In the end though, staying around and taking it seems like a bad reaction to me, and one that will have a reaction "counter" to what you would want in the long run. In the short term such an attitude simply means nothing changes, you still suffer, and the fat cat school guy still gets to drive around his fancy car, which has AC and heat. In the long term everything stays the same because you, and others, chose to take it, sending the message that the way you were treated is OK. In the end we all sink or swim together, I wish people like yourself got this, really got this, it's the only mindset that will ever change things, here, and in the world abroad. Take care ;)

#9 Parent Ambientman - 2010-11-06

You know what Sanguine, it is more complicated than you make it out to be. I really liked the students, simple as that, that is why I resigned the contract, get it? Being from the country side, for the most part, they were more simple than students from larger cities, but seemed interested in learning from a foreigner none the less. Plus, I had a lot of friends through English corner and around the city, so leaving that behind was not as simple as you make it out to be. Plus, I liked my colleagues and befriended a number of them. So try to see both sides, man/mam. Plus their were rumors that the FL might be promoted to tutor, so I signed the contract thinking their could be a new FL and a new start for me and my relations with the UNI. I figured things would improve, like a lot of people in my situation might assume, and they did, somewhat. Though the FL stayed an extra semester and did not leave until my last semester, the next FL was much better, so I was actually kind of right. Though the uncaring nature of the leaders did not totally hit me until the very end. I hope you understand matters more.

Also, I resent being called a push over. NO. I am not. You do not even know me, I stand up for myself when my friends are whispering to me to shut up, that is how far I will go. I defended my gf against two guys and really hurt both of them after one of them had tried to strike her. Not a pushover. You do not know how many times I called for my things to be repaired, how many times I had to watch these "repairmen" fumble with what probably were simple things in reality, and how long I had to wait until they were free to come and attempt repair (again). My constant suggestions to get outside workers were ignored, as they continued to use the same idiots from within. And my many questions to the FL prove that I am not a push over. I couldn't care less if my questions pissed her off, I asked more. Anyway, these are also not little problems as you seem to point out, as many places around the world, even China, these problems would be resolved with more haste and efficiency. I think I was dealing with incompetence more than anything. What can you do besides make phone calls and make the occasional office visit?

Sanguine, I am not a quitter, I will not leave a situation, in life in general, unless it is real bad. The cancer thing was when it got real bad. Other than that, I am a man who sticks with things and I don't appreciate your tone. Maybe you don't really stick with things, but I believe it is a sign of commitment and character to stay with jobs as long as you can. NO I DO NOT MAKE OTHER FTs LOOK BAD - HOW DARE YOU!. Runners and similar people make FTs look bad. The FL made matters worse. But I am a guest to this country, so forgive me if I have certain assumptions that ended up not being met. Again, I DO NOT give FT a bad name and my students words, emails, evaluations, IM messages, etc. speak louder than I ever could. I actually taught them things in a fun way, and they loved it.

As for the FL liking me, please don't make me gag. I can admit she was pretty, but her personality was so rotten, I didn't even realize most of the time. Plus she had a husband and was trying to have a baby. Ugh, please god I hope you are not right about that! Although she was super jealous of my gf for staying over....ugh, don't want to think of it.

#10 Parent crymeariver - 2010-11-06

How they treated you was indeed vile, but for those of us who know China, it is nothing new or even shocking.

On the ball there, man! Seasoned FT's know how to take the good with the bad. To teach in China one must be prepared to go with the flow or be frustrated day by day. Trouble is that these days too many foreign wingers are on the mainland. The easy money that is available for doing the minimum is meager compensation for the bad way they think they are treated. But there are some here who know the ropes and adopt the Chinese mindset of the intellectual snobs among their Chinese colleagues. Such laowei are very happy to have sinecures, and they know that nothing will ever be perfect in their eyes, wherever they ply their trade here! :)

#11 Parent Visas Schmisas - 2010-11-06

"3. One of my major problems with the school: They did not seem to make any effort in hiring a competent foreign liaison. In fact, my dealings with one FL, "Catherine" (to avoid giving away her real Chinese name,) was the worst Chinese person I had the mis-pleasure of meeting in my two years in China. She failed in being professorial, responsible, kind, patient, amongst many other things. For example, one day, when I was about to sign the contract in front of her, I had a few questions for her. They were legitimate, sincere and honest questions. I wanted to ask for more details on "breach of contract" (this comes into play later), force majeure and what was meant by "acceptable living standards." I asked the third question first and was met with extreme rudeness. She scoffed and gave me an awful look as she said "You ask too many questions, just sign the contract!" I was unable to ask the first two questions. Maybe that is for the better, as judging from her overall performance throughout her one year tenure, she probably did not know. But she could have at least directed me to someone who did know (again, judging from her overall performance, this was not likely either). She warned me another time about asking questions too. Well excuse me for growing up in a culture that values questions."

A very interesting post. Thanks for having the guts to share this all with us.

NEVER expect sympathy or compassion from Chinese FAO's/FL's. I was fired twice while in China, once because they simply failed to get my visa in a proper manner (thus forcing me to return home), and once because I found it impossible to get along with the FAO, and all the time I got the feeling they actually enjoyed it.

Your point about all the chinese teachers having nice cars is so true. Likewise the FL not respecting your culture. I find it quite astonishing that a developing country like China has so many arrogant people. It is nothing more than India with high speed trains IMHO, bar a couple of the more modern financial centre cities. Once you see the real China, it is nothing like Chinadaily or CCTV9 likes to bleat about.

People have been warned now. If you work for these scumbags you are a mug.

#12 Parent Sanguine - 2010-11-06

Firstly, it sounds like most of your problems were with this Catherine, your FL or TA, whatever you want to call her. Seems to me like she liked you, and that's how she expressed it. Very immature to say the least. Also sounds incompetent. Typical.

As for the school, if it was so bad, why did you stay, and actually sign another contract? Also, how could you not get your airfare home since you worked there 1 year already? As far as I know completing a 1 year contract guarantees that your round trip airfare is paid, or that you will get monies for this. How could they not give you anything. Breach of contract or no, don't they owe you from your first completed contract? Did you ever collect any money from that in regards to airfare? If not, it was owed to you, and would not in any way be affected by breaching your second contract, unless you signed on for 2 years that is. Not something I would ever do in China by the way.

As for the other things, no heat, no AC, not to sound cold or harsh, but you sound like a real push over, and one of those FT that makes it hard for the rest of us to find good paying jobs that treat foreigners right. You took an awful lot of s@@@ and kept coming back, asking for more, you even signed another contract with these people, insane. It sounds like you are playing up things that you had no problem with at the time, because of how they treated you in the end. How they treated you was indeed vile, but for those of us who know China, it is nothing new or even shocking. The only shocking thing is that you stayed around for all of it. In the end, they knew from your prior actions, or lack thereof, that they could get away with screwing you out of that airfare. Heck, you took everything else they put you through, so you'll take this too.

I have a great deal of sympathy that you have cancer, you have my condolences. As for the rest, I think you should have left that school long ago if you were so miserable. That you stayed and took it makes you partially to blame in truth, seeing as there are tons of options out there for you. It's not as if they are no English teaching jobs out there for foreigners.

I would personally avoid this school, they sound like crap. If I got there and found out they were, I'd put my foot down, insist, and let them know I'm outta there if they don't treat me better. If they fail, I go. I would not stick around for a winter of no heat, a summer of no AC, constant problems, and an assistant who insults and treats me like s@@@, that's on you my friend, as well as the school, which is why I say avoid it. Only other thing I have to say is, you should have left, way, way before, and never should have signed up for a second semester. Like I said, sounds like you are most angry about how they treated you in regards to your illness, and you should be, but I question just how bad it is if you signed up "twice" even after all the humiliations of the first year you claim you had. I say avoid this place just based upon how they treated this guy though, but honestly, you should have demanded better and left long ago, that's my 2 cents worth.

#13 Parent Former Shjg FT - 2010-11-06

Thanks for your long and illuminating post. Now we know that that school's leaders worship money! Not worth working too hard for any Chinese employer, methinks. In my experience, they're all the same! No need to be a willing workhorse for scumbags like that. Best to go through the motions, duck and dive, and collect your paychecks at the end of the month.
I hope your medical treatment back in your homeland will be effective. Good luck!

Ambientman - 2010-11-06
China: Think twice before working at Hui Hua UNI in Shijiazhuang, China (and don't expect sympathy if you get sick (even if its cancer).

I worked at Hui Hua University in Shijiazhuang (Hebei province) for a little over three semesters. I had to end my fourth semester at this school prematurely because I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's (cancer). Before getting into the meat of the email (my experience with cancer), let me make a few comments about the university and some of the people I had to deal with. Feel free to skip the first half or so.

1. Although this is an unknown (franchise) school, even by Hebei standards, and although this is a place where students who really messed up on their guo kuo go to study, the students were harder working than expected. Other than a few of the male math/science majors, the students were a real credit to this University, as far as I could see. I would even go as far as to say they were the best thing about Hui Hua. I actually felt sorry for the students in some ways. They pay 10,000 RMB to go to a school that has no name recognition. To remedy this, Hui Hua takes half the money they get from each student (5,000 RMB per student x 10,000 students) and pays Hebei Normal so they can attach "Hebei Normal University" to the Hui Hua name. Clever I suppose, but still a lie and there are 0% academic ties, aside from a few HNU professors who teach at Hui Hua part time. The ties are in name only and if Hui Hua ever stopped paying the fee, they would have to drop Hebei Normal from their title.

2. The University is located just outside of Shijiazhuang. As soon as you pass under the bridge near Hebei Normal UNI (which almost seems to be the city boarder), you know you are in a different world. I have been to many countries on this earth (numerous other Asian and African countries) and this area of the "city"/village" was one of the dirtiest places I have ever seen. It is dust and dirt and on rainy days, mud, with gray skies 90-95% of the time. If you are at all concerned about your health, avoid this place, it is NOT clean! Any food around here, fruits/veggies or other wises, is toxic, no question.

3. One of my major problems with the school: They did not seem to make any effort in hiring a competent foreign liaison. In fact, my dealings with one FL, "Catherine" (to avoid giving away her real Chinese name,) was the worst Chinese person I had the mis-pleasure of meeting in my two years in China. She failed in being professorial, responsible, kind, patient, amongst many other things. For example, one day, when I was about to sign the contract in front of her, I had a few questions for her. They were legitimate, sincere and honest questions. I wanted to ask for more details on "breach of contract" (this comes into play later), force majeure and what was meant by "acceptable living standards." I asked the third question first and was met with extreme rudeness. She scoffed and gave me an awful look as she said "You ask too many questions, just sign the contract!" I was unable to ask the first two questions. Maybe that is for the better, as judging from her overall performance throughout her one year tenure, she probably did not know. But she could have at least directed me to someone who did know (again, judging from her overall performance, this was not likely either). She warned me another time about asking questions too. Well excuse me for growing up in a culture that values questions.

In fact, Catherine showed a complete inability and total disinterest in getting to know anything about my culture or any other cultures. She even had the audacity to tell my gf I "needed to change." Well, as far as I am concerned, when two cultures come into contact, BOTH PEOPLE need to change, 50/50, a mutual attempt to meet each other HALF WAY. But she never mentioned anything about changing herself, in any way to make communications better. She somehow expected me to fully change, without any realization of her own faults. I apologized many times, but I think I would die before getting a "sorry" out of her.

She was extremely petty and made rude comments about my style of dressing: Such as, I dressed to dark and needed to wear brighter colors, or my undershirt was the wrong color. SERIOUSLY! When I addressed the other foreigners about this issue, they all said my dress was fine, my colors were okay, and quite a few even admitted I dressed better than them. BETTER. But none of the other teachers got any trouble about their style of dress! Hell, one of my colleagues and friends wore the same pair of jeans and sweatshirt, basically, every day! (No offense buddy). Funny thing is, I often wore dockers pants, polo shirts, famous French fashionable brands, J crew, LL Bean and collared shirts from various known brands. I am not even trying to brag, but show how clueless and petty she is, and what she actually focuses her energy on, as comments on my dress were frequent.

She gave me so much grief over asking for a little 500 RMB/month salary increase during contract renewal, lying (as she does best, though poorly) that the school could not afford to give such a raise, or something along those lines. Yet, if you were to look at the parking lot at the entrance and see all of these new, stylish cars, the teachers make a lot of money here and I've seen them driving around in all sorts of imported cars, I even got a ride in 2-3 from a few kind teachers. Plus they get loads of bonuses (unlike the FT who get nada bonuses). They actually end up making more than the "Foreign expert" foreign teachers.

She failed to give me many important documents, such as a copy of my signed contract and important medical (Picc) documents, among many other papers. The second was especially inexcusable, especially when I developed a serious health condition later on. Within two weeks or so, the newest FL, I'll call her Bian, gave me all important paperwork Catherine had failed to give me during her one year tenure. It is NOT my job to remind Catherine to do her job (give me the paper work).

She failed miserably as a professional and I am afraid of the negative impact she will have on the Junior English majors, the students she is in charge of as a tutor. I am sad to say, many of these students, most of whom I met at English corner, have confided in me that they really dislike her. But China, being the way it is, these students are afraid to complain about her, for fear of getting in trouble. Yes, students who pay 10,000 RMB (to an unknown school no less) are afraid to exercise their rights and simply complain about a poor tutor. That reflects poorly on the overall environment of Hui Hua. A few of the monitors even told me she bothers them in the middle of the class, for the smallest things that she could and should be doing and are not even urgent! She never had high amounts of common sense though. Sounds the exact same as when she was a FL "working" (if she actually did any of that) with the foreign teachers. Her assistant, Steven (I'll name him), actually did most of the work for her. If this is the person the school hires to deal with foreigners, they obviously don't take us very seriously, because she was not experienced. So don't take this UNI seriously and ignore it. The new FL, although very nice and actually caring, does not speak much English. Please HH, hire someone who is 1. competent 2. speaks English. Not one or the other.

The school failed to fix many important things in my apartment and Catherine never seemed to care or help the process move quicker (by making phone calls to the repairmen, her job as a FL). In fact, I went an entire winter, in Hebei, without heat! Even the students get heat in their dorms in the winter! Not only was she useless throughout the winter with this situation, but the "repairmen" (if you can call these bumbling fools that) could never fix the darn heater! I also went a summer with out my aircon! In a city surrounded by mountains, the heat climbs! It was fixed about six weeks into the hot period the second year. I also had problems with electricity and had numerous problems with my circuit breaker (which should have been cause for concern, for a normal person). I won't even mention smaller problems like showers, toilets, etc. The apartments, though big, are not nice. Instead they are old and dirty and was not well cleaned when I arrived.

Anyway, on to the most important part of the message. I am sad to say I received NO support from the school during the end of my stay when I was diagnosed with cancer. My interaction with any of the "leaders" were limited to a few brief conversations (my Chinese gf helped with translation) and they were merely a few of the lower level "leaders":

1. Upon hearing that I was diagnosed with cancer this is what "Cooper" (boss of the FL) said. Keep in mind this was his FIRST reaction! "We won't pay your October salary because of breach of contract." First of all: 1. Is this man human? He never said "sorry about the bad news." No "hope you get better." No, the first and only thing he mentioned was breach of contract. Now I am pretty sure that even in China, illness, especially a serious one like cancer, is NOT considered a breach of contract. My gf argued this point, as expected.

2. So he asked to see the medical form. However, he did not understand the medical form we gave him, even though it stated, in clear and plain Chinese, that what I had was Hodgkin's. Though it did not say cancer, Hodgkin's is obviously cancer, any adult knows that. Rather than admit his glaring and obvious ignorance, he said that without any proof from me, it would justify a breach of contract. My gf and I told him we would call the hospital and he could have a talk with the doctor. Rather than lose face (and further make himself look like an asshole) in the FAO, he instead suggested we go out of our way, to the other side of the city, to get a note from the doctor. Because of his ignorance, we needed a doctors note and stamp from the hospital, as if cancer is something someone would lie about. Come on man. Plus, one of the symptoms of cancer is frequent fatigue, showing a complete lack of understanding for my situation and illness. Thanks for being sensitive, d-bag.

3. Also, this man expressed annoyance in the fact that I did not warn him sooner, because, many students would be without an oral English teacher. SORRY MY CANCER GOT IN THE WAY OF YOUR SCHOOLS OPERATION! Once I was diagnosed with cancer, everything moved quickly and I purchased a ticket to go back home just one week in advance (from the diagnosis). I notified the school the next day. How much advanced notice did he expect? I struggled to even tell my mom for crying out loud! Realistically, I told him as soon as I could, but it sounds like he is not very realistic. The only thing he seemed to care about were a few Freshmen Non English major classes that would not have oral English for one semester. Never did he express any worry, sympathy or empathy for my situation, or attempt to even fake any of these feelings. This has nothing to do with culture differences and everything to do with simply being human. Not just with Cooper, but with Catherine too, two of the worst humans (not only Chinese) I have met in my life.

They also refused to pay my plane ticket home. Normally I would expect this if this was a more typical breaking of contract, but my situation is unique and the school could have (and probably should have) responded in a more positive way regarding my trip home. I offered my best effort for a little over three semesters, and met with a very unfortunate situation, and think they could have handled this situation better. I decided to let this issue rest quickly however, and decided to just get the hell out.

What can I say about the higher ups, like the president and vice president of Hui Hua? THEY WERE NON EXISTENT! I never even saw them during my last week at Hui Hua. They never came forward and offered their support and overall, in my opinion, they failed as leaders. They never confronted me to thank me for my hard work over the past two years (the students really liked me), never wished me well or showed hope that my health would improve. Not even a letter or email, totally invisible! The leaders couldn't care less, so I couldn't care less in posting this. If they do not care about one of their employees being diagnosed with cancer, what exactly do they care about? Again, this has NOTHING to do with culture difference and everything to do with being human and showing empathy - Reaching out to those who worked for you. How could the leaders not make an appearance? Sorry guys ("leaders"), a ten minute biajo toast at x-mas DOES NOT COUNT! Especially since you leave briefly after sharing a shot with each of the foreigners. You aren't "cool" or "connecting" with us. Pathetic attempt that they might as well stop.

A synopsis:
1. Most of the students were good, and the high point of Hui Hua.
2. Hui hua pays Hebei Normal UNI a lot of money so they can use the name
3. The location of Hui Hua is terrible and extremely EXTREMELY dirty with a lot of noise pollution. Also, just now, I remembered, an agent working on the schools behalf sent me an email that described a very beautiful location. Basically a lie, don't believe it. If the school can not hire honest agents, how can you trust the school. Guilty by association.
4. Hui hua, at least once, has hired a FL (Cat.) who was completely useless, impatient, not knowledgeable and petty, among other things. If the school can't even hire someone who can properly communicate cross culturally, how seriously can we take the school? As much as China is changing socially, here is an example of someone who is stuck in the past, and not very flexible in dealing with other cultures or ideas, instead expecting those around her to do ALL of the changing.
5. If you get sick at this school, expect extremely cold responses, or even totally lacking, especially from the leaders.

In closing, If the leaders do not care about you, even if you are very sick or hurt, why would they care about you under normal circumstances? DON'T GO!

[Edited by Administrator (admin) Sat, 14 May 2011, 03:46 AM]

Return to Index › China: Think twice before working at Hui Hua UNI in Shijiazhuang, China (and don't expect sympathy if you get sick (even if its cancer).

Go to another board -