TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › re: Teaching in Italy/This job ad
#1 Parent Sanguine - 2010-11-12
Re re: Teaching in Italy/This job ad

You would do well to avoid South Korea, you can make as much or more in Japan, stay away from SK.

#2 Parent Sanguine - 2010-11-12

I would not be worrying about the climate were I you. As for the food and all, better and safer then China. As for pay, search for yourself on this board, you will see many jobs offering decent salaries, many times what you would make in China I might add.

#3 Parent Visas Schmisas - 2010-11-12

@ Sanguine: You are now making me rather pensive.Which is good!

My initial plan was to teach English in Japan, with GEOS or someone, or even the JET scheme. I had a Japanese teacher at university and she got me really interested in the place, I was already interested in the food and karate, so it seems like a logical choice. You sound like you have been there, so, some questions if you don't mind man?

1.Cleaner than China? Although this seems a given...?!
2.Do you think better earnings/saving potential than the PRC?
3.Chances of getting a girlfriend/friendliness of the people?
4.Food is great, so no worries there.
5.Climate?

Cheers and cold german beers,
VS

#4 Parent Visas Schmisas - 2010-11-12

A swedish mate is urging me to do the same thing. 2 questions:

1. The people?

2. The pay?

I've read lots of horror stories on these boards about S korea!

#5 Parent Croc doodle do - 2010-11-12

No, China certainly isn't better.

With a uni degree + your teaching cert, you could easily get a job at a uni in South Korea. I would pursue this option if I were you - but forget about working for hagwons; most of them are as crappy as training centres in China.

#6 Parent Sanguine - 2010-11-12

Visa Shmisas your qualifications are greater then most people who go over seas to teach English. You could go most anywhere, especially Japan. Japan is a good alternative. They pay well more or less, and there are a lot more protections. Learning English there is quite in, just like China, but how many complaints do you see on this board from people who have taught there? Not many. You should think about a job in Japan. You could also find work in China, but you already know the many pitfalls one has to face working there. If I were you I'd check out Japan. You can make 2,500 US dollars or more a month there, far more than you'd make on average in China. Something to think about.

#7 Parent Visas Schmisas - 2010-11-11

Thanks for your words.

This is why (like in the other thread:no future) I am getting more despondent. And I urgently need to secure some form of employment asap.

I only have a diploma from College in IT, a BA in English lit from a very average university, a 4 week TEFL cert, no Masters or Professional Teaching Certificate, so I would take anything. But I've heard italy isn't good. At this rate, China seems better?!

#8 Parent Croc doodle do - 2010-11-10

Most "schools" on the continent only offer freelance jobs.
That's normally not enough to live on and too much to die, as a proverb says.
Many private "schools" in Italy, Spain, France, Germany etc. only offer positions on these terms.

To be sure, contact the "school" and find out yourself.

I would not do it, it's a waste of time!

Just my opinion!

Visas Schmisas - 2010-11-10
re: Teaching in Italy/This job ad

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=22245

Hi all,

Am seeking further info about teaching in italy, anyone done it?

What's the pay like? Enough to live on?

I've got rellos in Spain so it would be a hop and a skip for me to go there, but more worrying about the work and conditions and so on?

Anyone know anything about the place above?

Cheers
VS

Return to Index › re: Teaching in Italy/This job ad

Go to another board -