TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Jeju Island
#1 Parent Rowan Wells - 2011-01-28
Re Jeju Island

Hello Cat,

I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. When I lived and taught in Korea I spent a week on Jeju Island visiting the 'touristy things' and was quite impressed. I hiked through the lush tropical forests to the crater's edge of Halla-san Volcano, the highest mountain in Korea, gazed, awestruck, at the tumbling waterfalls of Seogwipo City, and walked in the black sands and warm waters off Seongsan Ilchulbong (Sunrise Peak), said to have the most spectacular sunrises and sunsets on the peninsula.

Jeju is Korea's favorite vacation spot, dubbed 'Hawaii in Asia,' and if I were ever to go back and teach in Korea I would make it my first choice.

I lived in a small mainland city by Korean standards (about 100,000 people) and everything I ever needed could be found there. When on Jeju I visited both Jeju City (400,000) and Seogwipo City (155,000), each with numerous western and Korean-style restaurants, bars and stores. Unless you are the kind of person who needs the hustle and bustle of a metropolis, I imagine you would never run out of things to keep you busy in your spare time. Nonetheless, not everyone can find a job there and there are countless other beautiful and interesting locales where one could happily live.

One extra piece of advice: If you don't quite have your sea legs about you, I would recommend flying to the mainland rather than taking the ferry. My wife and I arrived on Jeju via ferry from Mokpo and when it hit the open waters it bounced and swayed so dramatically that about half the boat spent the trip in the washroom. While I felt fine and was glad to be in the open sea, it wasn't a great experience for a lot of people.

Enjoy your teaching adventure, wherever it may take you!

#2 Parent Dr Moreau - 2010-11-20
Re Jeju Island

I think mainland China is a better country to teach EFL in than the ROK is. The ROK's visa rules suck and for a developed country the way its hagwons treat FT's is an absolute disgrace. Key money is a load of bull too. The Korean public do not respect foreigners, unlike what happens in China. Most foreigners who've taught in both countries say employment teaching English in China is better as a package, but the private educational sector in China is generally a minefield of deceit.

#3 Parent Sanguine - 2010-11-20
Re Jeju Island

The horror stories from friends who taught in China were many and really bad, but I have heard none in SK that compared to them.

Well Allen that's because you haven't looked, as they are all over this site and many others. You sound like a spokesperson for SK to be honest. That you yourself had 2 good experiences, so you say, means little to me. That you claim to be unaware of complaints about teaching in Korea, well is laughable, and makes me question if you are who and what you say you are. As for comparing a small country like SK to one so large and heavily populated as China, well that's absurd. We have all seen plenty of people coming on her defending teaching in China because they had a good experience, and they think it's a fine place to work. Simple ignorance is all that is, or someone with an agenda. The truth is there are complaints showing up here all the time about Korean schools, clearly you don't care to read or even look for those, as they would conflict with whatever agenda you may have. My guess, you work for a school on Jeju island, probably the one in question.

Anyone thinking about going to SK should think again. It's not the paradise this person is painting it as. If there are less complaints then there are about China, well duh, South Korea has 48 million people, while China has 1 billion 400 million. Basically China has about 30 times the number of people. With that kind of disparity in population, we should see 30 times less posts complaining about working in SK, but we don't. No, we see a number which is much closer, in a country that is so much smaller. When you look at things in that way, it makes no sense that we see as many complaints as we do about SK, and the only conclusion that can be reached is that it is in truth worse than teaching in China. It is simple logic really. If you go to a place with 100 people and 10 of those people are murdered, and then go someplace where 3,000 people live and 20 people are murdered, who has the bigger crime problem, and where would you rather live? Both have a problem, but I'd say the place with 100 people has a much bigger problem based on the numbers, much bigger by far. Now multiply that exponentially. This is the kind of thing that people like this Allen person, who is way to pro Jeju island, don't want you to think about. They don't want you to do the simple math and see the huge disparity. Taking into account that SK has such a small population, and that we see maybe half as many complaints about SK as we do China, that's a huge disparity, as it should be far far less if it's such a great place to teach, and given it's small population and size. Also take into account the huge number of new and first time posters trying to sell this Jeju island, and I think it's obvious that some people who are currently working at these schools in SK are being asked or paid to come here and give a positive review.

Use logic and reason and you'll see for yourself that SK is not a good place to work. Like anywhere else there will be good schools, but they are the exception, not the rule, and with the numbers I have quoted, and the clear disparities that are evident when compared to such a huge country as China, well I would avoid ever going to SK. The odds simply are not on your side. Take care.

#4 Parent Hunt M. Allen - 2010-11-20
Re Jeju Island

I have taught in South Korea for two contracts with two different English Academies. I loved my entire experience there. They were both great. I just returned to the USA in September of 2010. I plan to go back very soon. Possibly in December or January. I am already talking with other schools about teaching there. I have also taught in China which was ok, but not as rewarding as South Korea. I do know that there are some schools in Korea which are not employee oriented, but there are many in China as well. The horror stories from friends who taught in China were many and really bad, but I have heard none in SK that compared to them. There are bad companies and schools to work for in the USA and everywhere. You just need to do your investigations and talk with former teachers there if possible. You can find answers about any SK school online if you check them out. I just wanted to tell you that of all the places I have taught outside the USA, South Korea was great. I loved teaching there, and I love the people there. It was a great experience for me. Unfortunately I have never worked in Jeju Island. Maybe you can check out the school online. Also aske the school for the names and email addresses of present and former teachers. Then check with them. Good Luck and Enjoy Korea. Friends of mine have told me that Jeju Island is beautiful, but I do not know anyone who has worked for the school you mentioned.

#5 Parent Sanguine - 2010-11-19
Re Jeju Island

My advice to you cat is to avoid South Korea all together. There have b en more posts on this board and others about the hazards of working in SK then I can easily count. Considering the small size of SK for there to be so many complaints about working there says it all. SK is not somewhere you want to teach. As with anyplace you have good places to work, and bad, however by and large SK has far too many complaints about it for it to be a safe bet if you ask me. I would advise against China as well. Japan is a better option, you should look into teaching there, but avoid SK I say.

#6 Parent John - 2010-11-19
Re Jeju Island

Shaun

is dead on, I have been there and had an awesome time. I have friends there that have renewed time and time again. As long as you have a good school I think you will enjoy your time on Jeju.

#7 Parent Dr Shaun Hutchinson - 2010-11-18
Re Jeju Island

Hi Cat

I have heard Jeju is really beautiful. I also wanted to go teach there when I was looking for work in SK. However after some research and reading, and having spoken to someone in SK; Jeju rains 9/12 months a year. The 3 months when it is not raining is when the tourist season picks up. Just what I have read and heard.

However when I get to Korea I definitely want to check out Jeju; the write ups and pictures online look awesome.

Shaun

Cat - 2010-11-15
Jeju Island

Hey
Im in the process of finding a job in S. Korea to start in Jan 2011. I have been asked to consider living on Jeju Island (ILS school). I was just wondering if anybody has taught here before and besides the main touristy things is there enough to keep you going in free time. I've lived abroad before and when I wasnt teaching at weekends/holidays I was always out and about travelling through the country, after all thats the main reason why I want to go off and teach again.

Any advice would be great on your experiences!

Return to Index › Jeju Island

Go to another board -