TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › GOOD teaching programs in China?
#1 Parent Dragonized - 2011-01-02
Re GOOD teaching programs in China?

The soviet places lack common sense. In fact they are WORSE THAN CHINA overall, which is really scary when you think about it. It is even more corrupt and the people there don't really care too much about morals. It's actually more racist than China, too.

As for the Middle East, I've heard some of my former colleagues talk about how GREAT IT IS to work in Saudi Arabia, too. Considering the conservative attitude that the middle east has I think expats will have a harder time dealing with the culture shock. People drivel over working in the United Arab Emirates, but there have been many bad stories about that country as well. When there is 2 extremely different viewpoints on a topic such as this I would generally side with the people who were victimized by the experience.

As for South America it is also filled with developing countries and complaints about schools there are abound. I can't imagine the people being any more honest or decent with running a training school, especially since it's all about the money.

All in all I make my opinions based on how much protection the law in each respective country gives to the foreign teachers and how much the local people actually give credit to the law as something legitimate.

#2 Parent The Lawyer - 2010-12-31

Back to slaving away for a mediocre lifestyle as a hotel night porter, not for me, no thanks. No need for me to go back to being a looked-down upon loser back home when I can snag a good job in China! To be number one.

I agree with most of your posting, partly because most times I never even bothered to prepare lessons at public gigs. I failed to see the point, and the students seemed happier just having free talk/fun in class, or watching english movies. The coursebooks are useless by and large, and they really don't want to learn, just have fun, to most of the boys, English isn't that important anyway!!

The last part of your post that I have quoted I disagree with however. If you were working as a hotel porter on night shifts back in the West BEFORE you left for China, do you really expect that teaching X amount of classes per week is going to help you with your pension/medical insurance/NI/state contributions upon your return? As Silverboy has rightly said, it doesn't help, but is actually a hindrance, and you may even find it hard to resume your former crappy job because you have been out of the loop back home so long. You say to be number one, but if/when you have to return home, unless you have a base setup, I very much doubt you will feel that way.

Happy New Year,
THE LAWYER

#3 Parent Dragonized - 2010-12-31

I don't doubt your experience in these rural areas may have been a more positive one. However at the same time I can tell you depending on where and who you have worked with not all people are treated equally. This is still a country which judges people by how they look. I don't think everyone can get a job which only requires 18-20 hours per week. You are lucky to have landed something like this, but it doesn't apply to everyone.

#4 Parent Teacharian - 2010-12-30

I beg to differ. China abounds with good positions teaching public senior high students. Go for the small cities or the counties. There you will be much appreciated and respected, the pupils will be well-behaved, and the cost of living will be very affordable. As a former service industry lackey in the west, I've lapped up working here in China, if you can call it that, given the minimal hours worked and the short preparation time required to prepare just one lesson per week repeated 18-20 times! Back to slaving away for a mediocre lifestyle as a hotel night porter, not for me, no thanks. No need for me to go back to being a looked-down upon loser back home when I can snag a good job in China! To be number one.

#5 Parent The Lawyer - 2010-12-30

Stay away from any former soviet republics, china, south korea, middle eastern countries, and
of course underdeveloped continents such as south america and africa. You'll put yourself at a health risk, physically or mentally (sometimes both).

Curious as to why the former soviet republics or CIS states are so bad, is the influence of the Russian mafia a reason?

South Korea I can strongly agree on, but China can't be as bad as that place...or can it?

Middle east...ups and downs, I found Oman ok, not sure I'd want to do another stint though. Israel would be good, at least from what I saw on a holiday, as a place to work, i.e. a democracy, westernized, good weather.

I've got a mate in Lima, Peru who has bought an apartment and teaches at an international school and is very happy, and Turnoi seems happy in Africa.

I guess it's all horses for courses, whatever floats your boat and all that crap...or maybe I just think anywhere is always someplace better?

Happy new year,
THE LAWYER

#6 Parent Dragonized - 2010-12-30

Yes they are REALLY THAT BAD. They are all crap and they don't deserve to be open on ANY ACCOUNTS. You will find that finding a decent job to work at in China is a really big challenge. You would need to get into a top of the line public university in order to actually find a place which is at least semi-decent. I hope you will be able to find a job somewhere else. Try Japan, Thailand, Europe, and if you have certification even Native English speaking countries will hire you (I'm serious about that).

Stay away from any former soviet republics, china, south korea, middle eastern countries, and of course underdeveloped continents such as south america and africa. You'll put yourself at a health risk, physically or mentally (sometimes both).

John - 2010-12-30
GOOD teaching programs in China?

Hello, I've been looking into teaching in China, but I don't really know where to start.
Internet searching leads me to posts about where NOT to teach, and warns against some programs, however I'm having trouble finding information about good and reputable places.
I have no prior teaching experience, and a degree in accounting. Can I get a job with no qualifications?
Some programs I have looked into are English First and New Times, but these have negative reviews, but with no qualifications I fear that I can't do any better.
Are there any other programs similar to these? Are they really THAT bad?

Return to Index › GOOD teaching programs in China?

Go to another board -