TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: FAOs and the system behind them
#1 Parent Bullring - 2011-01-31
Re: FAOs and the system behind them

Me, I generally pick fights I have a good chance of winning, or go somewhere else. Think big, act small -seems to work.

Observer I DO see what you are getting at. I am not sure I agree wholeheartedly however. Look at what people have had to do throughout history to gain rights, i.e. the civil rights movement in the US, Gandhi using peaceful protest against the Brits, and now young Egyptians rallying in the streets to remove a sycophant regime in their country. Passive protest can work, even on a mass scale. The problem is it's an unknown concept in China, where people are more concerned with being indifferent to and even screwing each other over...regime change, mei banfa, yuan is flowing in, just go with the flow, follow the herd and be sheeple?

OK, it doesn't relate to FAO's but if we all do nothing, and take no action or protest they will get away with it, whereas even if we do start small and work up, it's better than lying down like a dog...

#2 Parent Observer - 2011-01-31

"I understand what you mean, but I won't let it drop. Not until ALL FAO's can be held accountable in China for their actions."

Noble sentiments, good intentions and ambition, but it is not necessarily going to happen where it is needed. Some FAOs may be accountable already, you cannot generalise about all of them. Just because a few people here say they are all crap doesn't make it so. If by saying things are crap makes people a little wary and alert to the possibilities of being put upon, then that is a good thing. And if that's how you want to spend your time - good luck to you. I'm unsure how you will go about this as you can't do it through direct experience and how will you know when you have achieved your goal? Be prepared to let us all know on this forum. Me, I generally pick fights I have a good chance of winning, or go somewhere else. Think big, act small -seems to work.

#3 Parent Bullring - 2011-01-30

Getting someone to agree with your viewpoint on this forum may be good for your psyche, but if you are still unemployed at the end of it what have you gained?

I understand what you mean, but I won't let it drop. Not until ALL FAO's can be held accountable in China for their actions.

#4 Parent Observer - 2011-01-30

I have some sympathy with your viewpoint. FAOs should concentrate on doing the business of filling vacancies. The notion that some FAOs may be on a 'power-trip' is just too ludicrous to contemplate. They are merely functionaries who have very little real power. True, they could make life difficult for the naive and unworldy-wise FTs who are dazed by the 'power', but it is illusory. All Chinese are shit-scared of the hierarchy and everyone has a laoban - even the university president. If FTs are qualified and experienced they can always vote with their feet and tell the twat to 'take a hike.' Micro-manage, Ha ha, I just don't believe it is within their capability. Although bloody-mindedness is perfectly feasible.

As for courtesy in replying to inquiries, some Chinese who have worked or studied abroad know the situation. Word-of-mouth works much better than money spent on recruitment and the feel-good factor depends on a fair response. All I would ask is that we consider that the facts are not always presented on forums and this works just the same for teachers as it does for recruiters, FAOs etc.

Interesting that the prime movers in this saga who regurgitated the story are rather quite - or are they?
Getting someone to agree with your viewpoint on this forum may be good for your psyche, but if you are still unemployed at the end of it what have you gained?

#5 Parent Bullring - 2011-01-28

Indeed. I didn't go to university and do my tefl and go to China, just to be short changed. Especially by some chubby homunculus on a power trip who likes to micro manage everyone...FAOs can just get lost and stay out of my way, they bite at me, I bite back, and they will know it...

Return to Index › Re: FAOs and the system behind them

Go to another board -