TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › China: Language Training Centers' Trashing
#1 Parent bullring - 2011-02-14
Re Language Training Centers' Trashing

But are your beers that you end each post with Chinese? Inquiring minds need to know :D 8) :\

#2 Parent englishgibson - 2011-02-14

Bullring, yes, I am in China. My family is Chinese. My appartment is Chinese. I guess that's all this topic deserves here, doesn't it? Cheers and beers to eslteachersboard

#3 Parent bullring - 2011-02-13

I thought you were back in Canada with your wife? Or are you now in guangdong still teaching english and enjoying beers?

#4 Parent englishgibson - 2011-02-13

Observer, cheers and beers to clearing the air on the topic and mainland :)

#5 Parent Observer - 2011-02-11

So my response if off, well tough - deal with it! To be honest with you Mr Gibson I don't know what you are ranting about. Your style of prose is hard work and difficult to follow. It all seems vague. If you are not writing a generalisation, you are now saying that a single training center has more potential "than the Chinese public sector" ?

I am not the slightest bit interested in the 'potential' of language centers, training centers and all the other things you say in such a way that it is all so obvious and cannot be challenged. You are entrenched in your views. Are you unemployed?

You say things about universities but you have had absolutely no direct experience of working in one of them at all, have you?

Your views/
Training centers have more potential than the public sector? WRONG because they will take anybody as a "teacher." They have to,some are struggling to fill vacancies because staff leave before finishing a contract.
The universities do not provide staff opportunities - WRONG! Many do this if teachers want to get involved. However if training centers are taking anybody, and many are 'rookies' without any teaching experience they probably have to do some training. Just like you when you went to English First maybe.

That 'local professionals', if you mean Chinese , do the all the testing - WRONG! FTs can also be involved.

"On(?)the end, it's clear what should be better, " NO IT IS NOT CLEAR AT ALL!

"It's not because it has been destroyed by the local system that probably wanted it destroyed." Which local system, what do you mean? Is there one system or many? Who wanted it destroyed and why - the state schoolteachers, the Mafia, the Pope? ARE YOU A CONSPIRACY THEORIST?

"Just imagine if training centers straightened out their act and then overtook the public schools in popularity on mainland." WHY WOULD WE WANT TO IMAGINE THIS?

This is just stupid and shows the level of your understanding! The bulk of school age children in China will never have the money for a private education, and the number of students involved is too large.

#6 Parent englishgibson - 2011-02-10

Observer's arguement hasn't go much to go on with and her response to some of my words seems off as well. So, let's quote, shall we?

My words; "A language training center provides a higher potential of learning the language than the Chinese public sector does."
Observer's reply;
What all establishments, every training centre? I cannot believe that. And isn't 'potential' related to the end result - often getting an easy entrance into another country? You've said this yourself about GAC.
First of all, i have not said that ALL TRAINING CENTERS, have i? Now, how hard can it be to make yourself believe that A LANGUAGE TRAINING CENTER may offer a professional recruiting of staff and students, a professional students' placement testing, western/professional academic material and teaching techniques as well as a professional progress report based on a student's achievement? Then, how hard can it be to make yourself believe that A LANGUAGE TRAINING CENTER may also provide its staff with a professional development in a sense of workshops etc too? On the other hand, i can't make myself believe that ANY PUBLIC SCHOOL on mainland offers much of that mentioned above. Can you believe that??? :)
As for the GACs and even EFs, I have worked for a few of these centers, and so I have the inside knowledge and experience of what they are all about with regards to their business and academic management. Unarguably, they are mismanaged and corrupt, however, they most deffinitely have the potential to prepare the students much better than any local public school. Are you, at all, familiar with their programs and academic management techniques that are in their handbooks? :)

Yet another Observer's quote below;

Many universities also do placement testing, and interactivity is down to the individual teacher's style rather than any prescribed approach. There are medicore universities and public schools as well as training centres. In a mixed education economy this is only to be expected and does not just apply to China.
To my knowledge, there are so many mainland universities that do the "placement testing" themselves. Their own "local experts" determine what student goes to what program and/or to what classroom. This is, and has been done, in a "local fashion" with the local uni recruiters and some other kinds of "local professionals" making sure that the right applicants get to the right programs and classrooms. Haven't we seen such uni reps driving some fully loaded western vehicles? I can't possibly guess how much the Beijing Uni reps accepted for a government worker's mother of the daughter that could only speak some low elementary Englsih, although signed for a program that'd send her to UK to accomplish her MBA in Business.
With regards to the "interactivity" in the uni classrooms, it surely isn't "prescribed". How could it be when there really is no real standard set and then no material or a local pro to rely on. For some good reasons, every year FTs come and go and the ones that stay do what they think they should do (to stay on).
So, in this "mixed education economy", as you say, there's little to rely on and that probably 'cause it's so "MIXED" that few can see the light.

On the end, it's clear what should be better, although it often is not. It's not because it has been destroyed by the local system that probably wanted it destroyed. Just imagine if training centers straightened out their act and then overtook the public schools in popularity on mainland. What impact would that have on the local education, its officials, schools reps, and the new generation and local economy?

#7 Parent englishgibson - 2011-02-09

TC Hater, or whatever your online name is, a warning provides supporting evidence of experiences with the center or the company. Without that you only get a "crappy trashing" which may disencourage posters or readers. Furthermore, it'll probably take readers, that are interested in teaching positions, to another site or the public sector which some here seemingly hope for. Unarguably, the primary, secondary and tertiary public schools on mainland offer more employers that're better connected with the authorities than the small training centers are. So, crap on the small one as the larger, a more dangerous one, has more to offer in a sesne of "opportunities".

As i said and as the facts prove that the public sector lacks greatly in providing locals with the subject of English language as well as it lacks supporting its staff to carry it out. Its poor approach to academic materials and support suggest that the professionals aren't really professionals or that they are well controlled by the powers. No wonder FTs are asked "to create" because they can't follow the local English and/or how to teach it. Hard to imagine where the millions of students tuition fees have been going, but they surely have created opportunities for locals.

Finally, the right way is the right way and that may only come with appropriate placements of students, and then with suitable care during their learning process. This can only be achieved without any interferance from the powers that know little about the subject or even the field. Understandably, they are scared to death to have outsiders show them how it's done and to have their new generation looking up to someone else then them.

Cheers and beers

#8 Parent Observer - 2011-02-09

"A language training center provides a higher potential of learning the language than the Chinese public sector does."

What all establishments, every training centre? I cannot believe that. And isn't 'potential' related to the end result - often getting an easy entrance into another country? You've said this yourself about GAC.

Many universities also do placement testing, and interactivity is down to the individual teacher's style rather than any prescribed approach. There are medicore universities and public schools as well as training centres. In a mixed education economy this is only to be expected and does not just apply to China.

"Most importantly, a language training center's academic material for the language taught is uncomparably easier to come, and come in an actual foreing language, in a training center than in many public sector schools on mainland, where academic supervisors and teachers face varieties of restrictions."

I can't see how you come to this generalised conclusion. Reading many of the posts here, many teachers have commented on the paucity of decent materials in training centres or being expected to teach from woefully inadequate and in-house prepared materials. You yourself have commented on the inadequate management and types of teaching materials that are in use in the training centres where you have only worked.

I think you'll find the description, possibly coined by Turnoi, was "white monkeys in a muppet show" but they may dance as well!

We all know there are systemic failures in China's education system but reminding us of them does nothing to solve the problem. You tried to establish your own training centre and failed, so we can understand your bitterness about not getting a slice of the pie.

#9 Parent TC Hater - 2011-02-08
Language Training Centers' Trashing

Trashing and Bashing crappy training centres is a good and entertaining thing if you hate them for good reasons.

It is good - because you will warn other people against them and not to go there to be exploited.
It is entertaining - you can joke about them and have some "controversial" discussions with grovelling weasels who "defend" them.

It is a nice game for adults and kids alike - and it even makes some sense, and you could perhaps do some good as well!

Here is a survey on training centres, please select the answer that you mostly would agree with.

All training centres are....

A - crap
B - decent institutions of teaching and learning
C - run by crooks and clowns who know nothing about education, who cheat and deceive, and would even sell their grandmother if they could make some money with it
D - Both A and C apply, and B does never apply - never ever!

I would select answer D...hahaha!

englishgibson - 2011-02-08
China: Language Training Centers' Trashing

A language training center provides a higher potential of learning the language than the Chinese public sector does. Moreover, its small sized classes, that often have placement tests for the candidates, offer more efficient and interactive lessons with teachers better able to look after students needs and to correct their weaknesses and/or bad habits. Then, courses in training centers aim for upgrading students from levels to levels as they improve. Most importantly, a language training center's academic material for the language taught is uncomparably easier to come, and come in an actual foreing language, in a training center than in many public sector schools on mainland, where academic supervisors and teachers face varieties of restrictions.

So, why would some on these forums relentlessly trash the Chinese language training centers, while praising the public sector's large sized classrooms with offten meaningless foreign teachers' courses? Of course, in the public sector students get to practice with foreigner teachers whatever they've learnt from their Chinese teachers, and some may even improve, but are we to believe that the local public sector has it all figured out how to take care of students who wish to learn another language? The forums talk of "dancing monkeys" as for foreign teachers in a language training center surely fits better the large sized public school's classroom, doesn't it?

Let's face it! Locals have purposely put FTs in the second row and that especially in the public school classrooms, where it is so important to prepare for exams rather than for life and where the preasure of passing students is extremely high as local teachers' jobs may be, and often are, on the line too.

As for the few that keep on trashing the training centers rather than the local system that's factually the real offender for the centers not being able to live up to their expectations, you are either unaware or bias with all due respect. Licenses to language training centers owners on mainland are awarded according to who knows who and who has how much money, but any better qualified and experienced, especially the foreign ones aren't allowed a cut out of this giant pie, the mainland market. Suspecting that there's a great degree of control over all sorts of education would not be unreasonable, would it? Then, suspecting that foreigners are unwelcome to get a cut from this market would not be paranoid, would it?

On the end, every country has its own rights to do things, business, education etc their own ways, however, it begs the question of rights for all, the country's own inclusive. Then, trashing when either unaware or bias is just so filthy. Yes, EFs are crap 'cause of the foreign corrupt franchisors and yes Webs are crap 'cause of the local corrupt franchisors ironically "international", although don't forget that there's a much larger potential in language training education than in the Chinese public sector which will most likely never get out of the sight of the rulers.

Cheers and beers as well as hopeful edition of this one :)

[Edited by Administrator (admin) Sat, 14 May 2011, 03:16 AM]

Return to Index › China: Language Training Centers' Trashing

Go to another board -