TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › China: warning new dynamic institute NDI stay away
#1 Parent Mr Unpaid - 2013-10-10
Re: Money Warning: New Dynamic Institute (NDI)

Shortly after I made the above post I decided to try sending an email to the British Embassy, and copying in the relevant people at New Dynamic Institute.

The very next day the money was transferred to my bank account in the UK!!

I'm not suggesting the British Embassy did anything to help me - their reply stated they don't get involved in commercial disputes, and they gave me a link to a list of English-speaking lawyers in China - but just the fact of sending the email, and making NDI aware that it'd been sent, seems to have persuaded the school to pay up.

I understand non-payment at the end of a contract is quite a common problem with language schools in China. So if anyone else has the same problem perhaps they could try the method I used.

BTW The branch involved is in Shijiazhuang in Hebei province, and the member of the HR staff who dealt with the matter is called Mandy Wang.

#2 Parent Mr Unpaid - 2013-09-28
Money Warning: New Dynamic Institute (NDI)

I started work for New Dynamic Institute (NDI) in a city in northern China in summer 2012. I worked out the full one-year contract without taking a single day sick or ever being late.

I'd presumed foolishly that at the end of the contract I'd be paid my last salary, end-of-contract bonus etc before I returned to the UK, i.e. probably on my last day at work (my residence permit expired a few days after that, so I'd have to leave China almost immediately).

A few weeks before the contract ended I went to the HR department to ask how I'd be paid. What they told me was that they wouldn't be able to pay the outstanding salary before I left, though they might be able to pay the bonus. The salary would be paid into my bank account in China after I'd returned to the UK, which I pointed out was no use to me as this bank has no branches/ATMs in the UK so I wouldn't be able to access the money. They also told me a variety of other nonsense which left me completely nonplussed.

As the HR staff there were so unhelpful I left the matter until I returned to the UK, then contacted NDI's HQ. I was told the money should have been paid to me before I left China, though there was no apology about this or explanation as to why it wasn't.

They've asked for my UK bank details and said they'd transfer the money to Britain, though I'd have to pick up the charge for the money transfer. When I disputed this - saying that as the non-payment was NDI's mistake they ought to pay - they threatened not to send the money at all.

I've now agreed to pay the transfer charge, but I haven't got much confidence I'm ever going to see the money in my UK account.

The sum involved is the equivalent of over £2,000 - my salary for the last month and a half I worked at NDI, overtime I did during this period (because most of the other foreign teachers had left, principally due to the manner of some of the Chinese staff at the school), the £600 bonus for completing the one-year contract, and the repayment of the fee I paid for the residence permit (as stipulated in the contract).

It should also include the return of the deposit on the flat NDI arranged for me, only NDI also omitted to tell me how to return the keys before I left. Not knowing what else to do I left them on the table inside the flat, hoping that the landlord had another set. Turns out she didn't and had to pay someone to break the lock.

So NDI say they'll return the deposit minus the £30 fee for breaking the lock. They'll also be another deduction of around £25 for a water bill they say I hadn't paid (though I know nothing about this, and was up-to-date with payment on all the bills on the flat as far as I was aware).

Again, when I disputed these charges NDI threatened not to send the money at all.

Don't touch these fraudsters with a bargepole.

#3 Parent Joe - 2012-11-30
Re: China: warning new dynamic institute NDI stay away

In the past several months this school has been closing down offices. I work in one of these schools and the head office is offering one month severance pay for termination of the contract (as redundancy pay).

There were rumors the school may close 'soon' but no specified date. There was a delegation from Shanghai that was meant to come, but they delayed for two weeks (tomorrow next Friday etc etc) and when they arrived they announced the school would close the next day. I had to counsel a student who arrived yesterday to have a class but wasn't told. That's how sudden this was meant to be done. The redundancy pay was pitiful (1/4th the size it should legally be), and they still haven't paid it. Making excuses about how it isn't the correct bank account (even though they have been paying into it for over the past 12 months). They are also withholding salary for work already done.

The local staff may be reasonable, but Shanghai/Wuhan will screw you over. There have been several foreigners who have been screwed by similar schools. And the law will not help that much, as the school has declared it's local area bankrupt (can't get blood from a stone).

My advice, do not DO NOT work for this school.

#4 Parent waltonsran - 2011-12-19
Re: warning new dynamic institute NDI stay away

So would it be the same YOYO that works at Tianhe NDI and is constantly invading the privacy of the Foreign Teachers during their break times? The same YOYO that holds a high position there? The same YOYO that looks like death warmed up as she is over worked? The same YOYO that agrees the material is crap and outdated and will agree to that fact and then put a post like she wrote on here? NDI is awful, students are in the wrong levels, no surprise there of course, repetitive material, poor working conditions, pay is LATE currently waiting 5 days over the date right now for my salary, i am done with this place in 3 months, please avoid them.

#5 Parent Kevin - 2011-12-08

I have learned never to accept a deal where you agree to do things with the promise of payment afterwards or based on performance. If you do something for them get your money upfront or you will never see it. thats how most of them tricktheir workers with promises of great things only to never deliver. Protect yourself cause no one else here will.

#6 Parent John - 2011-12-07

LOOKING AT THESE COMMENTS, THE BUSINESS IS STILL A BIG MISTAKE. BEING TOLD I AM A TEACHER OF BUSINESS, THE SYLLABUS IS FOR TOURISTY VACATIONEERS... AH LETS TALK ABOUT GAYS, SEXISM, RELIGION, RACE... ALL THE TABOO THINGS PEOPLE IN CHINA REALLY NEED TO KNOW ABOUT TO PROMOTE THEMSELVES IN GETTING A BETTER JOB... HUH! THE OFFICES ARE RAN BY COLLEGE KIDS, COLLEGES IN CHINA HAVE NO ACCREDATION AND ARE LOWER THAN ASSOCIATES DEGREE COLLEGES. THEY HAVE AN FUNNY EX ACTOR(I GUESS FROM THE 60'S-HONG KONG STYLE) WHO THINKS HE IS AN AMERICAN BORN CHINESE AND GOES OUT AND TRYS TO EXPLAIN HOW TO PLAY BASEBALL AND EAT HOT DOGS AND LAUGHING IT UP(LAUREL AND HARDY STYLE)... THIS COMPANY PROMISES IN THEIR OFFERS TO FIND YOU A HOUSE, AND HELP YOU GET SETTLED. THEY WILL NOT PAY ANY BILLS INCURRED BY YOUR NEEDING TO STAY AT A HOTEL WHILE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A HOUSE. IF YOU COME TO WORK FOR THEM, YOU SHOULD BRING AT LEAST 50,000 RMB WHILE GETTING SETTLED FOR A 8,000 RMB JOB. YOU WORK 25 HOURS AND THEY DEDUCT YOU IF YOU DON'T' FULL FILL THE 25 HOURS, EVEN IT IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. IF YOU WORK OVER TIME, YOU CAN GET 100 RMB PER HOUR(MOST EVERYONE IN CHINA PAYS 150 UP)... YOU ONLY GET 2 DAYS SICK LEAVE IN WHICH YOU MUST GO TO THE HOSPITAL IN ORDER TO GET A SLIP... HOSPITALS IN CHINA ARE THE WORST I'VE EVER SEEN IN MEDICAL CARE... IF YOU ARE SICK WITH A COLD AND YOU ARE A FOREIGNER, THEY WANT YOU BUNK UP IN THE HOSPITAL FOR SEVERAL DAYS AND WANT TO DO TESTS ON YOU COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO YOUR SYMPTOMS... THE HOSPITAL SMELLS LIKE ONE BIG SEWER WHERE PISS N SH*T ARE NORMAL SMELLS FOR CHINESE PEOPLE. CURRENTLY THERE IS A GROWING HATE FOR WESTERNERS, SPECIALLY FOR AMERICANS. CHINESE HAVE SO MUCH PRIDE THAT THEY THINK EVERYONE SHOULD BOW TO THEM. IN THE WORK ETHICS, CHINESE ARE NOT HARD WORKERS, MOST OF THEM SPEND THEIR TIME ON CHATTING NETWORKS(QQ IS THE MOST ADDICTIVE ONE) AND ARE LATE FOR EVERYTHING. BUT YOU ARE DISCOUNTED MONEY, IF YOU ARE 1 MIN. LATE. THE BOSSES OF THIS COMPANY NEVER COME TO MEET THE FOREIGNERS... THEY FEEL THEY ARE TOO HIGH ABOVE THEM TO GET TO KNOW THEM, SO THEY SEND THESE INCOMPETENT PEOPLE WHO CAN'T EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH TO MANAGE YOU. THEIR BIGGEST CRAP WAS TO PROMISE ME AND SAY EVERYTHING IS OK BEFORE I CAME, THEN TREAT ME LIKE I AM IMPORTANT AND THEN AFTER SIGNING A CONTRACT, THEY THINK YOU ARE THEIR SLAVE. AND THEN THEY START ASKING THINGS FROM YOU THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE ASKED YOU WHEN IT WAS CONVENIENT, BUT BECAUSE THEY ARE SO INCOMPETENT, THEY DON'T UNTIL ITS SO DIFFICULT TO MANAGE. MORE AND MORE NON NATIVE TEACHERS ARE BEING HIRED, SO THAT EVEN MAKES YOUR WORTH LESS AND THEN YOU ARE EXPECTED TO DO AS THEY DO, WORK 7 DAYS A WEEK FOR VERY LOW PAY AND YOU CANNOT QUESTION IT. SO DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME HERE, DON'T PUT YOURSELF INTO A SITUATION WHERE YOU HAVE NO ONE TO RELY ON, AS THEY WON'T CARE YOU. MORE AND MORE CHINA IS BECOMING MORE AND MORE RACIST AND THIS COMPANY REALLY SHOWS IT TO AMERICANS. THEY HATE THEM, EVEN THEY STOLE THEIR IDEA FROM NTI IN SILICON VALLEY. ONLY THE PEOPLE YOU MEET ARE THE NICE PEOPLE WHO REALLY WANT TO HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX, BUT THIS COMPANY WILL FIRE YOU OVER IT. WITH THAT BEING SAID.. DON'T GIVE THEM YOUR TIME OF DAY.. YOU SHOULD WORK FOR SCHOOLS, THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU MUCH BETTER. NOT LC'S, REALLY THE GOV'T NEEDS TO STEP IN AND BAN THESE COMPANIES FROM OPERATING AS THEY ARE NO DIFFERENT OF THE TRAVELLING SALESMAN WHO TAKES ALL YOUR MONEY. THIS ONE NEEDS TO GO FAST! 中国政府需要从任何禁止NDI商机。他们是违规的。

#7 Parent George - 2011-06-22

LMAO with your message.

Anyone looking to work with NDI should seriously do their homework.

Putting the easy money aside; should you at anytime find the teaching material making your brain smaller and decide to leave unfinished contract, they will have no hesitation in making sure (with fabricated comments to the the local immigration) that you cannot renew your working permit with any other company in the state.

#8 Parent Kanadian - 2011-03-23

3 months ! crap ! I see several things... 1 that person was seriously broke and 2 had NO EXPERT CERTIFICATE.. I feel sorry for that person being in a hard spot and training schools love that ! But, I also don't pity them as they are aware an expert certificate is MANDATORY

#9 Parent tit4tat - 2011-03-22

Are you serious? these guys didn't pay you for 3 months? You gotta be kidding me! Why didn't you duck off after the first 2 weeks after the 1 st month?

#10 Parent Kanadian - 2011-03-21

May God bless China! With love, <--- boys those two statements makes me think it's a flip ..

#11 Parent Kanadian - 2011-03-20
Re warning new dynamic institute NDI stay away

most training schools are [edited]. Why are you waiting to leave ?

#12 Parent Tom - 2011-03-17

HAHAHAHAHA. For me, my first thought was: IS THIS GUY IN A CULT?? Was he brainwashed? It doesn't sound like a true human being, but you know nowadays we get all kinds of illegal aliens in countries. Maybe John actually is a refugee from some star in some far away nebulon in a galaxy light years away and he has just made his escape into the milky way via wormhole built up by the Galactic Refugee and Victims Protection Group.

John, please. As you are newly acquainted with this planet you shouldn't jump to conclusions so fast. Maybe after living here for more than, let's say a month should you draw a conclusion on if this place really is the right one for you. You still have a mighty long way to go with knowing what earthly education really means, my boy."

Yep, alien rather [edited] entity or Chinese member of staff? I think John and YoYo Ann are one and the same person. Does sound like this person has just slopped down unannounced and not briefed in China out of a wormhole, as you suggest.

#13 Parent Dragonized - 2011-03-16

When I read your post, Teacher John, it made me feel quite queasy. In fact I had to leave the computer, make a cup of tea and smoke a cigarette. I'm bound to say that I've never read such a load of of bilge in all my life.

HAHAHAHAHA. For me, my first thought was: IS THIS GUY IN A CULT?? Was he brainwashed? It doesn't sound like a true human being, but you know nowadays we get all kinds of illegal aliens in countries. Maybe John actually is a refugee from some star in some far away nebulon in a galaxy light years away and he has just made his escape into the milky way via wormhole built up by the Galactic Refugee and Victims Protection Group.

John, please. As you are newly acquainted with this planet you shouldn't jump to conclusions so fast. Maybe after living here for more than, let's say a month should you draw a conclusion on if this place really is the right one for you. You still have a mighty long way to go with knowing what earthly education really means, my boy.

#14 Parent Tom - 2011-03-16

"You said our material is old and out dated, it is really ridiculous."

Hello Yoyo Ann

Your name is certainly pleasing to the ears of FT's. Are you still within the hallowed halls or was it too much hard work? Ft's can be a tad demanding.

Do you help write these fine lesson plans? What you have said above is "to describe our material as old and outdated is an understatement, our material is actually ridiculous.

It always amuses me this material word, completely out of place when talking of lesson plans and books. I always think of suits and materials needed for building a house.

#15 Parent Tom - 2011-03-16

"I have been teaching in China for 4 years now, and I have to tell you, I love it. And yes, I have had my ups and downs, but I've learned valuable lessons from them all.

To work properly in China you have to learn to understand the Chinese way of thinking. It's very complicated and I mean this in a good way. They do things different than the foreigners, and once you learn to understand their way of doing things, life will be a breeze.

I love teaching in China, and it's great to be here!

May God bless China!

With love,

Teacher John"

When I read your post, Teacher John, it made me feel quite queasy. In fact I had to leave the computer, make a cup of tea and smoke a cigarette. I'm bound to say that I've never read such a load of of bilge in all my life.

What on earth to you mean "they do things different than the foreigners?" You are in fact Chinese yourself, are you not? The different instead of differently didn't let you down, it was the the. We FT's do make certain mistakes, especially when hurriedly writing these posts; however; a foreigner always stands out, even if the original text was written by a Westerner,a Chinese can't resist fiddling and changing.

Also, we have the 'Teacher John,' the 'with love' and the 'May God bless China' to consider.

Listen here, Darling, all the Chinese have to do is to tell the truth and adhere by the contract that they themselves have written and we'll all get along very well.

Let's make one thing very clear, most of us who criticise crap outfits on this site get along very well with ordinary Chinese people, but as Turnoi would say, scumbags is scumbags, is scumbags whatever nationality they is (notice my little artistic license with "is" that's cos native born speakers and some rare Europeans are allowed to play with their own language. You ain't allowed.

You are right about one thing, scumbags are convoluted and complicated in the way they think.

#16 Parent John - 2011-03-10

I have been teaching in China for 4 years now, and I have to tell you, I love it. And yes, I have had my ups and downs, but I've learned valuable lessons from them all.

To work properly in China you have to learn to understand the Chinese way of thinking. It's very complicated and I mean this in a good way. They do things different than the foreigners, and once you learn to understand their way of doing things, life will be a breeze.

I love teaching in China, and it's great to be here!

May God bless China!

With love,

Teacher John

#17 Parent Lazy Guy - 2010-08-26

When you talk about how lazy of others, please think about yourself. Do you sure you are an industious person?

I am sure I will be a lazy guy now as you always fail to pay in full and on time. Why should anyone work for your crap place without payment in full and on time?
Tell me....-

#18 Parent Yoyo Ann - 2010-08-26

I am not sure what is your purpose to write this article. I am a Chinese staff who work in NDI. In my opinion, our salary is received in time all the time. You said our material is old and out dated, it is really ridiculous. Our teaching material is the newest. When you talk about how lazy of others, please think about yourself. Do you sure you are an industious person?

#19 Parent EslTeacherDS - 2010-07-16

I agree with the previous post. At LEAST you got paid. Before coming to China I was warned of the racist behavior of Chinese but never did I imagine it would go as far as it did/ Not only did they employ me but after a few months they broke the contract and did not pay me.

I must warn foreigners who want to work at this school for many reasons but do be clear the school does not pay you for 90 days. They will tell you all schools do this when in fact that is not true.

Also PLEASE BE WARNED of the school in Taiyuan. They are not licensed to give you a residency permit and management is hilarious. There is only 1 official "teacher" who can speak English and her English is just so-so if at that. If you have any matters that you really need to speak with upper management about do note you must bring in your own translator.

I have called the school management many times about paying me my money and no one has even responded to the calls. First they said they were investigating it and now their saying the matter is closed. All I can say is, be warned about this school, for they make all Chinese look bad.

#20 Parent joshwhiltz - 2010-07-01

I gotta stay, there are 40 franchises, can't lump them all together. Also, I've worked in other schools, in other countries, and most of these problems seem to be caused by not being in America, Canada, or whatever. No, it's not a good school, it's a business. Chinese people are Chinese, and racist, everywhere, just like people everywhere in the world. they just don't hide it. I've never had any salary problem, other than being hussled with my contract. but everyone tries to hussle you, everywhere. Everyone with a negative comment sounds like a pampered American baby that can't handle being out of the nest

#21 Parent joshwhiltz - 2010-07-01
Re: "hiccup" you call it?

haha you have no idea what you are talking about. it had nothing to do with employers, during the Olympics they completely changed the requirements for visas, for example, you count get a tourist visa without a return ticket to your HOME country. I was in Korea, and my friends had to cancel a trip because of that. you gonna blame that on NDI too?

#22 Parent Chengdu FT - 2010-05-10
Re: warning NDI Shanghai stay away, iyo only!

What a joke! Any one who is a professional does not work at NDI, unless they are a professional scammer or just unwitting tool of the employer.

I have known over dozen people that have worked at NDI in Chengdu. They were not backpackers, but they were not exactly professional esl teachers. Just people who do the minimum that is required.

But all of them have stated the place is a joke! And I seriously doubt that with their business model they could ever hope to produce any results.

NDI, WEB, and Meten are all the same and are all crap.

#23 Parent PROFFESIONAL ESLER - 2010-05-06
Re: warning NDI Shanghai stay away, iyo only!

You claim that NDI in Shanghai is badly run. That's just your opinion. Whether it's true, is another matter altogether.
NDI opreates as a franchise. Branches in other Chiense cities, such as the one where I'm the academical manager, might well be run much better. That's part of my responsiblity, to assist the owner increase the number of English learners here. to do this, we need real teachers here, not scruffy backpakers! As it's demanding work, the pay is rightly way above average.
I've not named my branch, so as to not be accused of advertising by you training center bashers reading this.
Don't tarr all of NDI's branches with the same stick, and don't bother applying for jobs with us if you're a slacker. We don't need those who are afraid of hard work, they'll be found out and let go after a week or two!

#24 Parent charles telae - 2010-05-06

Hands down...the worst establishment i have ever worked in.
I have been teaching in Asia for over 4 years now. I worked in one of the Shanghai, NDI offices.
Everythig that could go wrong went wrong. Late pay, not enough pay, visa threats if i spoke up, many students not happy and most teachers too.

Terrible management. Beware.

There is a lot better out there, you will be better off if you never step foot in there.

#25 Parent Winston - 2009-09-26

Why don't you google NDI (Shanghai)? I expect you'll be able to discover the e-mail address of that branch of NDI by doing so. Then you can contact the DOS there with ease.
Undoubtedly, Shanghai is a more westernised location than Wuhan. But bear in mind it may be more difficult to snag a teaching post there than it would be in the likes of Wuhan. However, if you succeed, you'll be able to meet loads and loads of foreigners there. And of course the night life there is far superior to that of other Chinese cities!

#26 Parent mini_me - 2009-09-26

Hello
I have been offered work at the NDI in Wuhan but would rather be in Shanghai. Can anyone at NDI let me know if there is any work in Shanghai with NDI?

#27 Parent prefer not to say - 2009-08-19

It cost me 5,000 rmb moving to Wuhan... another 400 rmb for z visa ... another 400 medical fees and 1,600 housing bond... I paid all this out because a recruiter at NDI after interviewing me over the phone offered me a job. All I will say is don't go ... don't take the job... really not a good place ... for a place that earns money just from the fact it has Foreign teachers... you would think the managment would adopt a Western style managment rather than treating you like how they treat each other (Chinese) like trash. Funny three months ago I was reading things like this and thought it won't happen to me... well take the warning... go elsewhere ... so many better teaching positions in China.

#28 Parent HireEd - 2009-08-08
"hiccup" you call it?

Daniel Tadd:

I had no problems whatsoever attaining my work visa, but I did have to front all the costs and go about getting the paperwork by myself. A real hassle that was, but nevertheless one that was solved with a bit of elbow grease and determination.

Uh, your so-called "hiccup" is what I would deem a full-blown "choke." Determination is not the issue here; employer ethics and responsibility is what matters with regards to proper visas, and obtaining them.

#29 Parent Daniel Tadd - 2009-08-08

Hehe, when I say "hic-cup" what I basically mean is "refusal"

I had no problems whatsoever attaining my work visa, but I did have to front all the costs and go about getting the paperwork by myself. A real hassle that was, but nevertheless one that was solved with a bit of elbow grease and determination. I just never sit around and wait for others to get things done for me, that's a common mistake made my teachers on L visas I feel. Anyway, I digress...

During the Beijing Olympics my visa expired and I wanted to renew it. Completely out of the blue I was told that I have to leave the country and never return. No reason was ever given. The headquaters of NDI followed this up with some questioning of their own (and probably with some under-table antics), I was then told I could return in 3 months. Which I did. All the meanwhile, my branch encouraged me and awaited my return. They didnt replace me, nor did they penalise me in any shape or form.

#30 Parent HireEd - 2009-08-07

Daniel, I'm so happy, you're so happy. However, would you please offer more explanation regarding this statement you made in your previous post?

Daniel Tadd:

Superiors have an understanding. When I encountered a hic-cup with my visa, the school was amazingly supportive and stood-by me as I had to travel back and forward from hong-kong to shanghai several times.

Hmmm... can you tell us more?

#31 Parent Daniel Tadd - 2009-08-07

I've been working for NDI for two and a half years now in the Shanghai, Hongkou branch.
I can quite happily say that this has been the greatest job I have ever had since I have been in China. Although, at this stage I should admit that I have only had 2 other jobs in the past; still...

Perhaps I only speak for the school I'm in when I say:

Pros:
- A HUGE feeling of being part of a family, where your colleagues losses and sucesses are felt by yourself and others.
- Diligence is rewarded. A hard working teacher is capable of renegotiating his/her salary. In addition, upon renewal of my contract (after one year) I was given a hefty 5,000 rmb bonus.
- Superiors have an understanding. When I encountered a hic-cup with my visa, the school was amazingly supportive and stood-by me as I had to travel back and forward from hong-kong to shanghai several times.
- The staff recruited are easy-going, fun and energetic. The course consultants blend well with the education department and there is no friction that I once felt from previous companies.
-

Cons:
- Outdated/Insufficient class material. This is a definate problem, it's probably 10-15 years old and severely lacking in structure. A teacher is hard-pressed to stick with the class material provided and must use his/her own initiative to fill-in the blanks.
- Too dynamic. Therein lies the irony. I feel the school is pushing itself too fast and introducing several new ideas and concepts per week that it cant keep up with.
- Stingy. I have my markers, blank paper and air conditioning rationed. Roughly, I use 10 white board markers over 3-4 days and I'm not entitled to more and so have to buy my own. The air conditioning is always switched off at 6pm. This is terrible for the peak of summer. The school actually loses students because of this.

Conclusion:

The pros by far definately out-weigh the cons. I'm in love with this company and the job. Everyday for me is refreshing and challenging. It's far from perfect, but I do feel however that the full-time teachers are treated better than the part time teachers. As I look opposite my desk now, my Canadian co-worker has also been here for over two years and my other workmate has been here for over a year now. We've encountered no "major" problems from NDI that will warrant others to "stay away".

I guess those who are satisfied with something don't go out of their way to praise it to the general masses. This is not "a dig" but we have to agree: those who are not satisfied are more readily able to make a complaint.

Peace:
Daniel Tadd

#32 Parent prefer not to say - 2009-08-04

Having arrived at the Wuhan Guang Gu Branch of New Dynamics Institute on the 25th June. I had two days training at the main headquarters in Wuhan. The training was adequate and helpful in getting ready to teach. My first week teaching went not so bad with the students. I was told by my Chinese supervisor that some students had complained that I did not love China enough and that I should try to give students positive feedback about their country and never criticise or question Chinese culture. I needed an example for the word 'Controversial' ... I said Taiwan is a controversial topic in China. I was told that this is a sensitive topic rather than a controversial subject and that I should not mention the fact that the rest of the World veiw Taiwan as a country rather than a province of China. I tried to teach something positive about Muslim Culture at an English Corner to create awareness to a worldwide religion. One of the Chinese teachers(named Zorro) response to this subject was to say that all Muslims that live in Wuhan are theives and come from Xin Xiang. I made a complaint about this and was told "what do I know as I am not Chinese." I the next day got a call from the Wuhan headquarters asking me did I not like Chinese people ? I had never experienced these problems before in China, though had always thought that their attitude to Muslims seemed rather ignorant of another persons culture. As a teacher I thought part of my job was to try to educate a younger generation about topics like racism, so as students may realise the bad effects of such beliefs. It seems that New Dynamic Institute's idea is to simply un-educate and cover their overheads.

#33 Parent Li Bai - 2008-12-02

Hi

I'll be a bit more gentle than SMACK (not a good name if your colleagues are ex-police officers, but that's beside the point).

The situations you describe at this particular institution are perfectly NORMAL for most Chinese schools.

A quick review of your concerns: Salary late or incorrect -Normal. At least you get paid. Sometimes a school will keep the money in the bank to take advantage of the banking system (more interest for the company) or so I have been told. But it is a normal situation.

Old, outdated material - Normal. Every teacher in China faces the same problem. The system is locked in a time warp and the teachers like to do things the 'traditional' way. You have often heard 'China is a country 'rich in tradition' and it's true. It just can't get out of second gear. Change is not on the agenda. If it ain't broke (even though it may be) don't fix it (because we're not ready for something new yet or we just plain don't know how).

Not accepting suggestions from foreign teachers. Normal. An endless source of frustration for FT's because 'That's just the way we do it in China'. Almost every 20 something-year old foreign teacher has more grey hair than he or she wants over this one. Chinese solution to this problem -"Don't worry, be happy". Probably the worst song ever penned by mankind, but it seems to be their anthem. And remember, frustrations and anger are bad for your health. Drink a cup of tea and the world will be all right.

Learning, per se, is not on the agenda. Our real job is to entertain and keep the kids happy. Smiling faces sometimes don't tell the truth but they sure bring in the bucks.

Waiting for them to get out of their own way or discussing a problem to death - then bringing it back from the dead just to take forever to kill it again - Normal. My experience has been it is a matter of who gets to make the final decision and even if someone else has a great idea, they must not make a higher up 'Lose face' or appear to be incompetent. The trick is to let them do what you want them to do and give them all the credit. Annoying sometmes, but easy if you can get what you want.

Marketing inconsistencies. Normal. Most Chinese marketing people are not aware of new marketing concepts. It's a combination of the time warp and they Chinese way of doing things. Just take a look at the television advertising. You don't need to understand Chinese to see what I mean.

I will take serious issue of the comment about lazy staff. For the most part, Chinese teachers are overworked and underpaid compared to our jobs. The ones on the bottom of the totem pole, usually the females, catch hell from both sides. They have one job - "Shut up and do what you're told". Try to consider what time that person may have gotten home the night before (if it's work related) and the obligations they may have at home (family etc..)
I have no sympathy for any male sleeping off a "Gambei" hangover, but I hold in highest regard the work that some of these women do.

When you think about it, are you really WORKING? If so, it won't kill you. But like some (hey, I said SOME!) of us, probably not. Sit back a give your school a real good look and you may find you're better off than you realize. And try to be a little cautious before jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

prefer not to say - 2008-11-30
China: warning new dynamic institute NDI stay away

this is simply the worst english teaching school in china. I was living and working in beijing, and decided to move to one of the smaller cities to see more of china. The total lack of professionalism in this company is amazing.

First of all when i recieved my salary it is either late or wrong,

the material they teach is old and out dated

the company dont have any time for decent suggestions from the good foreign teachers i work with, instead they humour you and completely ignore your suggestion

the company is not micro managed which means that when decisions have to be made its a long wait

the chinese staff are usually lazy, for instance i go in in the morning and one of the chinese staff members is lying sleeping on the desk

the marketing team come up with lots of silly ideas which mean extra work for foreign teachers

overall i think this company is poorly managed and organised, there ideas are simply borrowed from other companies, i cant wait to leave this dreadful company

[Edited by Administrator (admin) Sat, 14 May 2011, 03:02 AM]

Return to Index › China: warning new dynamic institute NDI stay away

Go to another board -