TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Received Pronunciation - Linyi University
#1 Parent Proper Native Speaker - 2011-04-07
Received Pronunciation - Linyi University

Linyi University's assesssment of my pronunciation as being unclear and unsuitable for their students is laughable in my view. As a native speaker of English who's taught in China since '94 in secondary and further education, I'm totally unimpressed with their verdict as per the above. Furthermore, their contract contains a clause that you can be dismissed after eight weeks of teaching. That is an unfavorable inclusion - any FT fired at such a late stage of a semester would find it very difficult to obtain a decent post then. I've posted about the way they operate to forewarn prospective job applicants who might consider accepting a position there. This is China, where things can sometimes go horribly wrong for foreign teachers. In my view it's better to be wary than to be too trusting. For more information, please try the following link to see what Linyi University, formerly Linyi Normal University, is capable of doing to its foreign teachers.

http://www.kozok.eu/en/chinypraca.php

#2 Parent Tom - 2011-04-07

'my unclear pronunciation of English'

How come your written English is so good yet you have problems with your pronunciation? If my writing were as good as yours (it's not) and my pronunciation was a stumbling block, i think I'd tune into the BBC (only the direct from London news one) Nobody can argue with English the way the English can speak it. Say this 'How now brrrrown cow' and in 'Oxford ,Hereford and Hertfordshire, Hurricanes hardly ever hhhhappen. By George you've got it!

#3 Parent Proper Native Speaker - 2011-04-06

Its also been said that RP is a social dialect rather than a regional one, in that it denotes belonging or aspiring to a certain class. Historically, RP had more in common with Birmingham than London, but like Foxys example of Beijing Mandarin, the focus for a standard
Return to Index › Received Pronunciation - Linyi University

Go to another board -