TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re pay raise
#1 Parent Apollyon - 2011-04-21
Re pay raise

to catch is the next sunny day so I can ride, brah.
Explain the saying to me. I haven't heard that one before. Sounds Commomwealth? You're right, I am odd and delightfully so. All my years of backpacking did it to me. And awesome parents. Maybe I sound too good to be true, thanks for the unintended compliment. The only thing I'm trying

Ah, found out a little more about you, you are young. The older you get the more expressions you pick up. It's probably English English (is there any other without using oxymora? or oxymoron if you're from USA) by the time you get to fifty you'll know them all, English, American, whatever. Right, a sprat[small fishes] is used as a lure by fishermen to catch a larger one, the mackerel.

i didn't mean to suggest that you were odd as such-too complicated to bother to explain. On the contrary you seem to have 'all your marbles'

must hit the sack. Stay happy.

#2 Parent Bavaria beers - 2011-04-21
Re pay raise

Perhaps man, but no FT should work for that money in China...it then makes the Chinese think they can continue to get away with dumbing down of salaries, I don't know the OP's age, but even a degree is enough for teaching in certain gulf countries, and the OP would be far better paid, tax free to boot...

#3 Parent Apollyon - 2011-04-21
Re pay raise

i just looked up the saying. maybe you are are right because I'm using China for two years experience to then move on to the Arab countries. Everything is a risk for sure but I got my plan and people. Its all about minimizing that risk, right?

Just make sure you enjoy this next year. Minimising the risk would be to spend a couple of weeks in Arabia this summer to get some idea if you like it there-sadly you can't have the bun and the butter and your salary probably won't stretch to that. Yep, take a chance, maybe make yourself a safety net by way of a job in China that you could go to if things go pear-shaped in Africa. If all goes well you'd have to apologise to the China school "can't come, sorry" Something like that. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket, always wise.

i always find about three jobs to go to-options. Self-preservation.

#4 Parent kurtg44 - 2011-04-21
Re pay raise

Explain the saying to me. I haven't heard that one before. Sounds Commomwealth? You're right, I am odd and delightfully so. All my years of backpacking did it to me. And awesome parents. Maybe I sound too good to be true, thanks for the unintended compliment. The only thing I'm trying to catch is the next sunny day so I can ride, brah.

#5 Parent kurtg44 - 2011-04-21
Re pay raise

i just looked up the saying. maybe you are are right because I'm using China for two years experience to then move on to the Arab countries. Everything is a risk for sure but I got my plan and people. Its all about minimizing that risk, right?

#6 Parent Apollyon - 2011-04-20
Re pay raise

3500 RMB is one of the lowest salaries I have ever heard of. If they have offered you 200 RMB raise, that's pretty low and if I were you I would not accept that.
I would agree, and even 5,500 rmb is nothing in China these days, some hairdressers earn more, and businessmen leave you far behind...

I agree with you; however, did you get the feeling there was something odd about the original poster? "a sprat to catch a mackerel" type of thing?

#7 Parent Apollyon - 2011-04-20
Re pay raise

3500 RMB is one of the lowest salaries I have ever heard of. If they have offered you 200 RMB raise, that's pretty low and if I were you I would not accept that.

I would agree, and even 5,500 rmb is nothing in China these days, some hairdressers earn more, and businessmen leave you far behind...

Essentially I might agree but as yet the bloke hasn't revealed anything about himself (could be Wolfman) he might well be a black African with sod all options. If that were the case you might well be advising him to return home since his bosses or any other Chinese school might not agree that 5500 is the going rate- *and they'd be right* (note, here i talk about the *going rate*)

#8 Parent Bavaria Beer - 2011-04-20
Re pay raise

Return to Index › Re pay raise

Go to another board -