TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re pay raise
#1 Parent Apollyon - 2011-04-25
Re pay raise

I wish you good luck in your salary negotiations. Let us all know how you got on, and if you are successful, what was the criteria you used. What people are "worth" in salary terms, what employers are willing (not able) to pay, and what FTs choose to accept, don't always go together.

As you say, we need to factor-in the approx. 3 months paid holiday at universities July/ January and February plus the fact that some course don't start in week 1 of the new semester but week 6 and run until week 18 ( 12 weeks). So it's also important to calculate whether say, 14 hours a week of contact time is actually what you will work over the whole semester(term).

Certainly when I worked in the UK we were not paid for preparation time or exam marking (unless you worked for one of the national exam boards).

WOW, you're a proper English Teacher. No, this is news to me what happens in the UK, they wouldn't even allow me to teach the janitor's dog back home.

Yes when i made the comparison between a private school and univerity pay I was also including the better deal you get on accommodation at the latter. They will often advertise a training centre position as including a free flat but you find that's by way of monthly paymentments of say 1000 RMB- if you won's settle for a rabbit hutch you end up paying another thousand yourself.

Yes, I know, it's easy for me to say I'll ask for 2000 extra. I'm on baijiu terms with the top brass, owing to being able to use Mandarin well-so, it'll probably be asked for over a session. I've no idea how much success I'll have, I'm probably not worth what I get already, not being the best teacher in the world. Keep you posted.

Return to Index › Re pay raise

Go to another board -