TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Anyone heard of Hampson English
#1 Parent robin - 2011-10-16
Re: Re Anyone heard of Hampson English

Having stayed in China for some time, I have seen it all before with such so called establishments like Hampson and many other places.
They promise this and that and later stab you in the back, this is also typical with many Chinese business companies. this is very often the Chinese way of doing business.
There is a lack of intelligence,understanding, morals,trust, and other issues they need to put right. and this is going to take many decades.
Frankly speaking, I would have thought the vast majority of westerners would have wised up by now.
if people only bothered to first check out these shit holes, then they would save themselves a lot of trouble.
Hampson is always changing it's staff at it's so called schools and main office, also the turnover of teachers is high.
they are simply there just to make money, nothing more. it is one of many such holes that suck. they often keep part of your money back for some pathetic reason or another.
one simply has to play them at their own game, and keep two steps ahead.
my time living and working with the Chinese has taught me much, but there is always more to learn.
for a Country that is supposedly second in the world of economic growth, one can only wonder how they got there. but all good things do come to an end.
the housing market will soon be having it's big problems.
Good education is just one of the things that is lacking, I could name a number of other problems. but the Chinese have to learn in their own time because of the huge problem of stubbornness and backwardness that persists to this day.not to mention greed and corruption.

#2 Parent Dragonized - 2011-09-01

We as teachers CANNOT let this "school" to get big like EF, Aston, Web, NDI, etc. There are enough parasitic, leeching companies in china as it is, one more is just too much!!

#3 Parent Jules.A - 2011-08-30

Many people come over and find work with reasonable companies/colleges. At least for a given value of `worth` as the concept of honour and honesty is very different in China to that of the West.

Hampson is one of the biggest fraudulent so-called franchises in China. I took my contract etc with them to the Bureau of Foreign Experts over all their lies and con tricks and refusals to pay salary and other pathetic weaselly excuses, to find that they DO NOT EVEN OFFICIALLY EXIST! The contract is as worthless frankly any other in China with the added glory of being a FORGERY! The red stamp on the contract - required by Chinese law on any document - is FAKE! Hampson as a registered company working to improve the Chinese peoples` english language skills, paying their taxes and other dues to their government etc DO NOT EXIST.

In the Beijing offices there is a framed photograph of the owner of Hampson together with a member of the Chinese government, to whom this crook claims to be related. It is apparently for this reason the police and other authorities WILL NOT act against this blatantly criminal group (I would say `organized crime` but there is very little evidence of any constructive work going on there). It is up to the foreign teachers to spread the word to their erstwhile colleagues themselves , so no more people get burned and eventually the whole heap of unmentionables will collapse. Everyone who has been unfortunate to be conned by these parasites should take their `contracts` to the Bureau or maybe the police. Maybe if enough do then something may e done from that angle too.

If you have any questions try the wonderful SOPHIE, who apparently is the Beijing `manager` in charge of the franchise operations in other cities. Her email was

hampson_sophie@126.com

Also there is one Yuki Zhuo email yukizhuo@sina.com, who appears to be an authority within the company. One would think for the good of their reputation abroad the Chinese government would put paid to such obvious public corruption as is Hampson; however sadly it is down to the foreign experts so let us go

Nail `em

#4 Parent Dragonized - 2011-07-08
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English

That's too bad for you. Foreign teachers in china can indeed be of a mixed lot. There definitely is a lack of unity. Really the only group of expats who seem to be more united in their behavior that I've come across are the missionary groups or people who share a common religion together. Even then it's only limited to the people in that specific group who share the same beliefs.

#5 Parent P E - 2011-07-08

I have never met a foreign teacher here in China whom I liked.

Anyway, you're still here. That's great, and speaks volumes for the positive aspects of being here. The kindness and sincerity of the Chinese people to us westerners has to be experienced to be believed. It is diametrically opposite to the ignorant way foreigners treat each other here. Oh well, nothing is perfect wherever we go! I hope you continue your teaching career here for many a year to come.

#6 Parent THe Big, Bad Dragon - 2011-07-08

I have never met a foreign teacher here in China whom I liked.

#7 Parent Turino - 2011-05-27

You could be working for a school in the UK that adopts stricter standards re thwir teachers than others there do. You'll maybe Rigail your probation or end up being fired. YOU CAN'T TEACH ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE UK AFTER THAT. You're a fool to trust Western employers. At least in China, you can move on, maybe after paying a small bribe. Mr Ofsted can get knotted! China's miles better!

#8 Parent Out of Chicago - 2011-05-27

Yes that about sums it up - knew you were a quick study..... 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D

#9 Parent Crap School Spotter - 2011-05-27

FEMA Camps.....Ah ha.....someone speaks of something we both understand.....REX 84, Operation Cable Splicer, Operation Trojan Horse, Operation Garden Plot, Gunderson Steel...

I won't be funding Obama my friend....

I just filled out some handy dandy little forms and told them to shove that sideways. DS4079, DS4080, DS4081, DS4082, and I recently got back my hand dandy DS4083.....It was the best $450.00 bucks I ever spent.

You did raise a highly valid point though. That is one of many reasons I no longer support that flag and since I have a backup passport, the one from the states no longer matters.

#10 Parent Mark Black - 2011-05-27

Sorry, but from what I read here and elsewhere about schools in China it sounds like there is not much difference. Except to say that in the UK you have some rights and in China you are more likely to be completely on your own.

#11 Parent Dragonized - 2011-05-27
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English, anyone here of alternative career paths in china?

CSS, thank you so much! I will definitely look into this and set the wheels in motion. If I can find a way to do this it would just be around the world in 80 days....of constant vacation. No more going to another country to work just so you can see the sights :)

#12 Parent Turino - 2011-05-27

I will stick things out teaching in the UK and hope things work out. I really feel sorry for any genuine people out there given the kind of people the job seems to have attracted.

Teach in the UK, or teach in China? Doing so in the public sector in China is a walk in the psrk. I'd never ever return to the UK to teach - it's a mug's game, I'd be used and abused by being underpaid and overworked by my employer, while being maligned by young ignoramuses and their equally stupid parents. Teach in the UK? that's a bar steward of a nightmare that doesn't bear thinking about!!

#13 Parent Turino - 2011-05-27
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English, anyone here of alternative career paths in china?

I hope this kicks something into motion for you because teaching sucks, at least in China. You did not go to college to be treated like a dog. At least I didn't.

I'll tell you where teaching 'sucks'. It's in the West, not in China. And I think there's nothing wrong with working for a Chinese boss, as long as you're in the public education sector. Teaching can be a noble profession, and it certainly is that in China. Respect, that's the key. Young Westerners don't respect their teachers as a rule!

#14 Parent Crap School Spotter - 2011-05-26

Find a job in an WOFE. Wholly Owned Foreign Enterprise that does not employ Chinese, does not have Chinese HR, or even Chinese security. I work in a Dutch owned company that deals in advanced sciences. They took advantage of cheap supplies and a land deal, but don't employ any Chinese people. My office is in Beijing, but I work in an office and not at the plant. I have found that in China, it makes a lot of sense if you are from the USA as an example, to work for another nationality other than Chinese. Such as maybe a Canadian working for a German owned firm in Beijing. The dynamics somehow change and a balance is struck and without the Chinese messing everything up in-house life is really so much better. In our office, no Chinese are allowed in. No sales, no cleaning people, nothing. In fact, the business licenses are in the hall in a locked glass case so that if anyone from the government wants to inspect them, they can do it and be gone in 1 minute. Not even mail or packages are allowed access here. That cuts down the spying attempts and the snooping.

Finance is a waste of time. Too many Chinese in-house and too much BS. Translating, its been done 1001 ways, and it is a dead and saturated market and it is not lucrative. Engineering...maybe. I know a man from France now that gets paid 30,000 RMB per month, 10,000 housing allowance per month, car, schooling is paid for, for his kid, and other perks. His job? He goes all over China and sometimes Asia, working on Chinese trains. He handles the power plant aspect for the trains being recharged. That's it. He works for a French firm. They do have Chinese involvement though.

Bio Tech which is what I do now, is growing and hot anywhere and in China, it is hot since we sell them products and under our contracts they cannot reverse engineer anything we make. I doubt that they could anyway.

General aviation (private jets) is about to open in China. That will be hot.

Luxury goods is going to be hot in China and it is just getting off the ground now. The job you want there would be something like country manager for China.

Education support is hot: M&A with western based schools as an example. There is no money in teaching, but there is money in education.

This is something else to think about too...What everyone wants is what is called a PORTABLE OCCUPATION AND TRADE. Teaching is one such example. In other words, you can take your job anywhere and make a living. Teaching is fine, assuming that you can control the shots. Once you lose control of the game, it is game over with regard to wages, terms, conditions, etc.

If you can write code, do programming, etc., and have a lap top, you can live anywhere and make a good living under your own terms.
Affiliate sales is big money if you can grab the right product. You don't need to make it, own it, or know a damn thing about it. Don't forget about things like Click Bank, Google Adsense, and other online methods of making money.

Teaching online with your own program is good if you have enough students to support it. You could be on the moon and earn a living teaching from home.

People need to think about self-reliance and how to beat the game.

Monster.com is a joke

Try Linkedin.com instead for more professional networking capabilities. Ecademy.com is also highly useful (but expensive).

By the way....do you have a blog yet and is it under your own name and your own URL? JOHNDOE.com perhaps?

If so, and if you already get good traffic, MONETIZE IT. Start getting click per view ads on the damn thing and get paid for blogging! Set up an Amazon.com AFFILIATE ACCOUNT for yourself and set up a small A-Store. I am doing about 20,000 dollars per month in sales from my Amazon, Click Bank and Adsense accounts combined and I work on that about 4-6 hours per week. It almost runs itself.

Don't forget about the critical importance of SEO (Search Engine Optimization) on your sites and do proper key word research before you start blogging away and find a niche market to focus on. I sell kitchen products as an example. I make more money sleeping than I do working on some days.

Don't discredit western Africa as a future hot spot for investment and growth and development either. I am putting money there now for FDI and it is paying off slowly.

There are some ideas for you. I hope this kicks something into motion for you because teaching sucks, at least in China. You did not go to college to be treated like a dog. At least I didn't.

#15 Parent Mark Black - 2011-05-26

Say no more to be honest. I am already put off not least by some of the posts I have read further down the board and the attitude of at least two people after I commented.

In my view it seems that teaching in Asia is filled with asshole companies which seem to get away with murder and asshole teachers, if I even dare call them that, with a right wing mentality.

I will stick things out teaching in the UK and hope things work out. I really feel sorry for any genuine people out there given the kind of people the job seems to have attracted.

#16 Parent Turino - 2011-05-26

If you don't have a family, or if you don't have any kids and don't ever plan on having any, and if you never plan to go home, then enjoy the countryside of China and the 4000 RMB per month wages,

If you had arrived after some years on welfare or in a lousy job in your homeland and subsequently married a Chinese working class woman, you can have a good and stress-free life earning countryside FT wages. Everything is relative, my friend. Never forget that! The main reason Ft's are out in the sticks is to get out of the rat race and its associated greed mentality. Come here in your later years with your late father's estate as back-up. that's the way. As for training centres, real drudgery and never an option!

#17 Parent Dragonized - 2011-05-26

CSS, I myself have attempted to be employed by multi-national corporations in china before. However I may have not looked in the right places as I attempted sites such as 51job.com and some other monster.com wannabes which basically were scams. What advice would you give to foreigners who want to come to china and work here but NOT be in the teaching industry? What fields offer decent treatment of expats? Engineering? Finance? Translating? If people ask me about working overseas again I wouldn't mind telling them exactly what some good alternatives would be other than being a "teacher".

#18 Parent dude - 2011-05-26

Put the kid into a Chinese school so they can learn how great Mao supposedly was

Flipside is you could be funding Obama and FEMA camps in the US of A...or if you live in the EU being taxed to the hilt to fund a failing eurozone....swings and roundabouts dude

#19 Parent Crap School Spotter - 2011-05-26

Its extremely expensive and the only reason I live here now is my job and the fact that the spouse is not interested in leaving China. Real estate values here cannot be justified in my opinion, but it is what it is. If you want a smaller apartment of 80 square in the CBD of Beijing, plan on blowing at least 2 million RMB or more just to get the keys and then easily 200,000 to 600,000 RMB for an interior and furniture that won't fall apart in a month. Our current place would be likened to a good upper middle class family home in the USA, maybe a notch under that, and it is very expensive. My current housing allowance of 8000 per month covers the mortgage 100% and gives me coverage on all utilities, and property management fees so it is a win win proposition. Because I sold the other place and made money on that, I had a nice chunk of change to slap down on this current place which offset the mortgage by about 50% I am on a ground floor in this new place and we have an enclosed patio, a small yard, and even a 1 car garage so it is almost like being home.

What were my options? Pay rent to someone else and fund their wealth and help them to pay their mortgage?
Live in some dive outside of 6th ring road to save money and spend a life time commuting each month?
Put the kid into a Chinese school so they can learn how great Mao supposedly was?

If you end up in China with a spouse and a kid you need a real job that pays the bills and helps you to to enjoy a reasonable quality of life and being able to have upward or lateral movement as well. There is no retirement and no glory in being an ESL teacher working for peanuts and living far below the poverty level in your own country so that when you go home, you have nothing to show for it all other than some pictures.

Most of my friends in education that live in China are getting out of education fast. They woke up. They smelled the coffee. They avoid most of the GW, the problems, and the low wages and they actually have a life for a change.

If you don't have a family, or if you don't have any kids and don't ever plan on having any, and if you never plan to go home, then enjoy the countryside of China and the 4000 RMB per month wages, or struggle on 9000 at some ESL mill where the cost of living is 10,000 and you can never afford to go anywhere or see anything like in Beijing.

Many of the international schools are a joke and they pay 20,000 per month but the atmosphere sucks, they swim in GW, and you work like a dog while dealing with snobby little brats that should be slapped into reality.

I keep my teacher licenses valid, but I stopped teaching. Although...I do have a private ESL gig going on, on Saturdays, teaching 2 Japanese businessmen business English for 600 RMB per hour. That's 1200 RMB for 2 hours starting at 7 and I am done by 9. Monthly that's more than some ESL teachers make all month and I teach only 8 hours per month. 4800 RMB per month buys many trips to the zoo, ice skating rink, movies, and other things for our child and by the time our kid wakes up on Saturday AM, I am already home.

Stop being abused in China. Turn the damn thing around and milk it for all that it is worth because the machine that China has become will sure as hell do it to you and the Chinese won't even blink.

Doing privates? Teach the Japanese. They have the cash and they really want to learn. They work hard and they are respectful and grateful.

As for the Chinese, let them teach themselves.

My opinion of many ESL teachers in China is that they are good people, but for whatever reason(s), they fell out of line with the normal rhythms of life and now they are stuck in some bad situation and they lack the confidence to dig out and make a go of it. Once they get a good kick in the ass, they tend to get with it and venture out more and you'll see them crop up in other companies and level out and do well over time.

We hired a guy like that recently where I work now. In about one month's time he stabilized. He dropped the defensive attitude and the looking over the shoulder mindset and he is a good person. He started here and seemed like he feared the world. I guess my point here is that ESL is a highly abusive job and it really twists people into some bad habits and you can see them unwind and come into line with some normal routine after a month or so. The entire culture shock of living and working in shite each day for years on end is damaging to people. I have told the HR manager here at this place to be understanding of the teachers that they hire because many of those people are coming in from the rain and they are all like beaten down dogs. It takes them some getting used to when getting paid on time for a change, having a real one hour break, real insurance, real sick time, real clean house, and so forth. They don't know how to act.

That's pretty sad if you stop to think about it and just how bad teaching in China really is for many people.

#20 Parent Crap School Spotter - 2011-05-24

I must live in Beijing because I work in Beijing. My wife works. Our child is a special needs student and many international programs in Beijing start at 80,000 RMB and go up from there. We looked at many schools in Beijing and the average is around 120,000 RMB for the better schools that employ actual teachers that have licenses, relevant degrees, and a school with an actual curriculum that can stand up to western standards. The apartment has already gone up in value by 400,000 in the short time that we owned this one so buying instead of renting makes sense. The apartment that we owned before this went up in value 700,000 RMB in about 10-months time. Moreover, with Chinese culture and Chinese families it is expected that the husband provides a home for the family. With my spouse not wanting to leave China, which is another issue, owning a home here makes sense.

If we really wanted to rough it, we could enroll our foreign kid in an all Chinese public school where the child could be ruined for life, and we could live in some falling down apartment well outside of 6th ring road and we could spent 2-hours per day in a commute each way.

Or I can keep working 5 minutes from our home, live in a nice place that my company pays all of the mortgage on based on the housing allowance, and earn money on a property that someone else is paying for while our child gets the special attention that they need from people we know that we can trust and don't need to worry about.

#21 Parent Stan - 2011-05-24

You didn't have to buy an apartment. You don't need to live in Beijing. What about your wife? Why does she not have a job? 140, 000 a year for schooling? Man, you are being ripped off!

#22 Parent Dragonized - 2011-05-24

Wow CSS listening to you makes me think I would rather live in New York or Chicago than deal with Beijing. I'm guessing if you're not a filthy rich multi millionaire you won't be able to afford even the yearly maintenance fees if you live within the first 4 "rings" of beijing. Eeeesh!!

#23 Parent Crap School Spotter - 2011-05-23

You must live in some really small city. My mortgage is 5250 per month not including utilities. Our child's schooling is 140,000 RMB per year. I have not even figured in daily travel expenses when not driving, gas and insurance for the car, food, clothing, full coverage insurance, etc. The interior of the house without furniture was 200,000 RMB and it is not lavish but nice. New building, secure, clean, modern. We put in floors, good windows, in floor heating, paint, a good quality kitchen and two nice bathrooms, as well as lighting and we completed the outside patio area so that it is enclosed. A recent hospital visit for our child was just over 3000 RMB for some essential tests and medicine. A wage of 7000 RMB per month in Beijing does not buy a good quality of life for a family. If you have no bills, no kids, live in an old area in an old building in a small city, and assuming you have the 300,000 to 500,000 RMB down payment for an apartment that is 80 square meters or less, you can maybe get away with less than 7000 RMB per month to live assuming you live beyond 6th Ring Road. FT's pay a premium for any reasonable quality of life with regard to keeping higher standards in China. That requires a high wage job.

#24 Parent Bertie - 2011-05-23

If you have a family in China you cannot afford to live and work if you teach. You need a high-paying job with benefits and teaching does not do it. Mortgage and school fees alone, plus insurance will completely burn the average ESL teacher's wages up 100%.

My salary of 5000 RMB/ month is sufficient to pay my monthly mortgage payments of 1400 RMB plus my Chinese stepdaughter's university tuition, lodging fees and food costs, as well as my Chinese wife's and my own living expenses. I'm drinking 2 large bottles of Chinese beer and smoking a pack of ciggies a day, costing 9 RMB in total. My wife does all the cooking. I'm teaching 14 clock hours/week with one hour needed to prepare my weekly lesson, and the flat is rent-free. No problem, unlike what it would be in the West. I can't imagine why you cannot afford to live and work in China as a teacher. Maybe you're still eating Western foods here, dining out at top restaurants, and drinking milk and coffee. In contrast, I'm not. I'm richer here in terms of spending power than high school teachers back home. And having to do precious little for it compared to them. I'd call my job a sinecure, but naturally I'm not working my guts out at a ropey training center. I've more sense than to do that. The public sector is where to teach in my opinion. I change my job every year, and so tour China while 'earning' my salary. As for insurance, I don't need it. I have western currency set aside to pay for medical bills.
Newbies please note: the cost of living in most Chinese cities and towns should not exceed 2000 RMB a month if you're relatively careful with your cash. No need to throw it around here to live quite well. Things are much cheaper than back home as a rule.

#25 Parent Crap School Spotter - 2011-05-23

I am here and working for a Dutch company that does advanced science related work. I left education in China because it is totally bogus and pointless to even consider teaching in China. My spouse does not want to go outside of the country since my spouse's family are all here. As soon as I left education my life in China was 100% better immediately. My work setting is professional, there are no Chinese people working where I work at all, and with an 8,000 RMB housing allowance per month, I rented another apartment for a few months, sold our other home, and used that money and the 8,000 RMB per month to buy a better home and the company pays the mortgage for me. If I had to keep teaching in China I would be gone tomorrow AM. I do keep all of my licenses active and when I go home I do whatever CEU is required to stay current just in case I ever go back into education at home or elsewhere. My advice to anyone considering teaching in China is first of all, forget it, and second of all, don't even consider it. If you have a family in China you cannot afford to live and work if you teach. You need a high-paying job with benefits and teaching does not do it. Mortgage and school fees alone, plus insurance will completely burn the average ESL teacher's wages up 100%

If you don't have a home and if you can hold your breath long enough to get a visa for the Chinese spouse, great. Teach on 15,000 or less and keep the bags packed.

#26 Parent Mark Black - 2011-05-23

Ok thanks. No disrespect but I have to ask the question. Why are any of you over there if it is as bad as this. Personally much of what I am reading is putting me off before I begin.

Return to Index › Re Anyone heard of Hampson English

Go to another board -