TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › China: EF (English First) Dongguan
#1 Parent Robert Nutter - 2015-06-29
Re China: EF (English First) Dongguan

I'm curious...what other visas have you been able to work with? I've been offered a position at EF so I would like to know other options.

#2 Parent J-Hai - 2011-09-18
Re: EF Dongguan is a terrible place to work for

A comment in regards to the bit about "local goverments needing to shut down EF", that will never happen. With a vast array of other crimes taking place in China that would not go unpunished if encountered in civilized countries why would a few instances of unqualified employees, or salaries not being paid to a foreigner draw the attention of the police. I would rather the cops FINALLY notice the extremely lax treatment of spousal and child abusers in this country. I dont know how many times ive encountered students and mothers with bruises and scars inflicted by the male of the family. I would love to be totally secure in my job here in China but I think the police (if they are willing to admit, or even get off there asses) would be better off dealing with scumbags beating there wives and kids (which is totally legal as long as they do it at home and the victim doesn't die)

F*ck EF forever, ive never been happier since ive parted ways with those [edited]. And to the asshole who says he's "the best esl teacher", why are you wasting your time in China? Is it because of the wonderful rrsp plan your provided with? Is it the juicy retirement package your awaiting once you decided to hang up your eraseable marker for a rocking chair on a balcony overlooking a dirty smog filled landscape with horns honking, people spitting, littering, ect ect and you can say "I was the best esl teacher EF ever had". I can't take your post seriously at all, but your mission was accomplished I guess. You ruffled my feathers, chapeau

#3 Parent Banana Joe - 2011-09-17

May God or any king/queen save us from any self-styled ESL "saviors" like you!

The reputation of EF among real, decent professional schools is so low that nobody else than EF itself would employ "teachers" who have worked for the same before. Having worked for EF is not a good reference but a pretty bad one as the professionalism and the standards applied by EF to provide "education", not to mention even quality education, casts a rightful light of heavy doubt on EF.

Working for EF is a shame and not privilege!

I must say, all of these little ‘confessions’ have been incredibly entertaining! Rather it is a post by a closet-drunk who hides his true nature while wearing a mask of a teacher, or a web-slinger who has taken it upon himself to be a martyr for EF despite the fact that he has not worked for that company.
#4 Parent Dragonized - 2011-09-16

I must say, all of these little ‘confessions’ have been incredibly entertaining! Rather it is a post by a closet-drunk who hides his true nature while wearing a mask of a teacher, or a web-slinger who has taken it upon himself to be a martyr for EF despite the fact that he has not worked for that company. Opinions are like rectums: everyone has one. As far as the whole 40 hours a week goes…really? That is a problem for you people? For those who complained about working a real fulltime job, were you born with silver spoons in your mouths? I would suggest that you work in a textile mill or automotive factory and pull 60 hours a week without any inclination on when you will actually get a day off.

For your information, Mr. Devil's Savior in developed countried people who work in textile mills or automotive factories are entitled to health benefits, retirement benefits, and medical care. Before the world's business became global and out of control the pensions of blue collar workers were sufficient to live off of after retirement. Of course for a jackass like you this is the only time you will keep the most poor and deprived people in your mind, that is when you're trying to win an arguement. You couldn't care less about the miserable conditions most workers suffer working in sweatshops, toy factories, automotive factories, textile mills, etc. So stop pretending you give a damn.

Those students in Dongguan are paying good money for an education, and if you sorry pieces of monkey crap cannot put your drinks down long enough to meet the expectations of your students then I’d suggest that you find a different profession. ‘White Trash’, it is a nickname for poor folks back in the US, and a nickname for failures who go to China to party and hide behind a desk. I will be brutally honest: I teach my students English, but first I teach them to have self confidence, to have pride, and to climb to the top of every ladder and break every glass ceiling that hovers above them. As I hear the shattering of glass, I can only hope that some of those shards will fall down to where you bottom-feeders dwell. I hope that you pick up those shards and do the world a favor. Remember; go up the street, not across.

It sounds like you have a personal grudge against some people whom you think are alcohol abusers and losers/bums. Well some of my ex-bosses and managers fell into the same category of being "trash". Although using the word "white trash" would be inappropriate as they weren't always of caucasian descent. For you to believe you are teaching your students self confidence, THAT'S GREAT! But if I was a chinese student I wouldn't really be as confident what with seeing my whole life as one I cannot control with endless amounts of homework, pleasing my parents, pleasing elders/society, etc. Being in a class with a laowai would just be learning english, no more than that. Sure I can learn english with more confidence if I have a good teacher but that doesn't improve the quality of my life considering I would only be seeing you for a few hours every week. You showed some narcissistic tendencies right there with that comment of yours.

It is a very simple fact: if you are a teacher, you are responsible for teaching. That is your job. If you prefer to party and live in a drunken stupor, then go live in a box in western LA and beg for change so that you can go buy yourself another 40oz. I am sick and tired of the teachers here who want to play the part of the martyr who was mislead or misguided. When it comes to the ESL community, my friends are few and far between, and certainly none of them are from the cesspool where poor excuse for teachers writhe around like maggots. Let me bestow this little gem of knowledge on you: a company is only as good as those who work for it. So, if EF is guilty of anything, it is hiring undedicated idiots who don’t take their position seriously. What manner of impact have any of you made? Each of you is just a spoke on a wheel. When the spoke breaks off, the wheel will continue to spin. Remember, you are expendable. However, I am not expendable. You see, I am the best. I was the best ESL teacher in the upstate of South Carolina, the best ESL instructor in Atlanta, GA, the best in Los Angeles, CA, and I am the best in China. Not to brag, but I am the best in the world. So, from the bottom of my twisted and decrepit heart, I would like to thank each of you for your failures, for if it was not for embarrassments like you insignificant fools, I would not have the privilege of setting an example, of proving that I am the best! So, enjoy your parties, enjoy your trivial lives, and cherish every single second that someone acknowledges your existence, for when you exhale your final breath…no one will remember your names. Pipebomb!

I am sick also of people liike you who come onto here with your holier than thou attitude towards other people whom you don't really know much about. So everyone who speaks out against you MUST be a drunk? Everyone who decides that EF's business model is inherently flawed must be lazy? Anyone who criticizes is a self imposed "martyr"? You're just like the immature brat back in primary school who preted to know it all and telll others what right is. LET ME TELL YOU THIS: You are a stupid, disgusting, waste of life who does not have the capacity to feel empathy, trust, or compassion like a normal human being. Your post just said it all. You are a stupid monkey who behaves like a human being as well as being a dumbass parrot who repeats "right" things to say and does the "straight" and "appropriate" without knowing the actual good behind them. You are a DISGRACE TO ALL AMERICANS, PERIOD!! As an American I have stated that people from the USA make the worst Grovelling Weasels, and we can see why. You don't see anyone else in the world but yourself! You had better hope you didn't use your real email because if we track you down we will ALL have been happy to find yet another Psychpathic, Sociopathic troublemaker who is a part of the problem in the ESL world. Who gives a shit what people think of you and your pipe dreams of being the "best"? You're nothing but a big, walking dustball!

I had posted earlier about the collaboration of the USA the Superpower and china the wannabe superpower and how much trouble both these countries create for their own people and for the world. I hope this message gets posted.

#5 Parent San Migs - 2011-09-16

I would suggest that you work in a textile mill or automotive factory and pull 60 hours a week without any inclination on when you will actually get a day off.

A whole world of difference between selling your soul for 2-4000 rmb a month extra. And yes I have pulled 50 hours a week in my homeland...but would never do so in China, and most certainly not for a place like EF, no way!

#6 Parent ESLSavior - 2011-09-16

I must say, all of these little ‘confessions’ have been incredibly entertaining! Rather it is a post by a closet-drunk who hides his true nature while wearing a mask of a teacher, or a web-slinger who has taken it upon himself to be a martyr for EF despite the fact that he has not worked for that company. Opinions are like rectums: everyone has one. As far as the whole 40 hours a week goes…really? That is a problem for you people? For those who complained about working a real fulltime job, were you born with silver spoons in your mouths? I would suggest that you work in a textile mill or automotive factory and pull 60 hours a week without any inclination on when you will actually get a day off.

Those students in Dongguan are paying good money for an education, and if you sorry pieces of monkey crap cannot put your drinks down long enough to meet the expectations of your students then I’d suggest that you find a different profession. ‘White Trash’, it is a nickname for poor folks back in the US, and a nickname for failures who go to China to party and hide behind a desk. I will be brutally honest: I teach my students English, but first I teach them to have self confidence, to have pride, and to climb to the top of every ladder and break every glass ceiling that hovers above them. As I hear the shattering of glass, I can only hope that some of those shards will fall down to where you bottom-feeders dwell. I hope that you pick up those shards and do the world a favor. Remember; go up the street, not across.

It is a very simple fact: if you are a teacher, you are responsible for teaching. That is your job. If you prefer to party and live in a drunken stupor, then go live in a box in western LA and beg for change so that you can go buy yourself another 40oz. I am sick and tired of the teachers here who want to play the part of the martyr who was mislead or misguided. When it comes to the ESL community, my friends are few and far between, and certainly none of them are from the cesspool where poor excuse for teachers writhe around like maggots. Let me bestow this little gem of knowledge on you: a company is only as good as those who work for it. So, if EF is guilty of anything, it is hiring undedicated idiots who don’t take their position seriously. What manner of impact have any of you made? Each of you is just a spoke on a wheel. When the spoke breaks off, the wheel will continue to spin. Remember, you are expendable. However, I am not expendable. You see, I am the best. I was the best ESL teacher in the upstate of South Carolina, the best ESL instructor in Atlanta, GA, the best in Los Angeles, CA, and I am the best in China. Not to brag, but I am the best in the world. So, from the bottom of my twisted and decrepit heart, I would like to thank each of you for your failures, for if it was not for embarrassments like you insignificant fools, I would not have the privilege of setting an example, of proving that I am the best! So, enjoy your parties, enjoy your trivial lives, and cherish every single second that someone acknowledges your existence, for when you exhale your final breath…no one will remember your names. Pipebomb!

#7 Parent Nikki - 2011-06-14
Re EF (English First) Dongguan China

Hey Steve Parker!

I have really enjoyed ALL the posts that have been written on this FORUM!!

Power to YOU man for getting it OUR THERE!

To Wes...I missed your call last FRIDAY cos I was TEACHING...like seriously actually TEACHING....was that a do you wanna work summer time call or do you wanna work part-time call or a "why you speaking out call"....like whatever...You know I'm vocal you said so yourself...live and let live...

Steve Parker/ Emma and THE REST of the Not HAVE WORKED AT E.F writers or Have worked there writers and hold strong to E.F work ETHICS....(do they have any).....ENJOYED ALL YOUR POSTS....I'M STILL READING ;)!....Keep em coming...bahahahahha :p!

#8 Parent Peter Parker - 2011-06-10
Re EF (English First) Dongguan

You are from Australia but actually you were
just born there.

What is that supposed to mean? Deciphering what you people write is harder to crack than the Da Vinci Code

Finally you're name is Waz

[deleted] Can any of the hugely professional teachers in this thread write properly?

And no, I am not Waz (what kind of name is that?), or Wes or Spiderman. Try again

#9 Parent John - 2011-06-10

Hmm. I got a feeling I know who you are. Let me give a few clues as to your identity: You work 2 jobs, one of those is with children. You are from Australia but actually you were just born there. Finally you're name is Waz. Am I right?

#10 Parent Anonymous - 2011-06-10
EF Dongguan is a terrible place to work for

This whole place reeks of unprofessional-ism, sexual harassment, and is completely illegitimate in terms of legality and structure. I have since left Dongguan but I spent quite some time working at this place.

First, the Chinese staff. Tom is their battered form of "human resources manager", if you even want to dignify him with a term other than "inhuman scumbag". If you encounter any problems with your horrifying excuse for an apartment (such as the bathroom overflowing, heating / AC not working) don't expect Tom to do anything. He'll almost never pick up your phone call, and if he does, he'll complain and tell you to fix it yourself unless you pester him to the point where he'll just continue procrastinating. The first thing a lot of teachers do is just find their own apartment because of how unreliable and generally unpleasant he is to work with.

Gary, the Chinese owner of the establishment, is also incredibly rude and distances himself from the foreign teachers as much as possible. No matter what unfair (and commonly unexplained) policy he comes up with, you are encouraged not to confront him and to instead consult with the foreign D.O.S. who is named Wes - who will tell you whatever you want to hear until you leave his office. Nothing will change.

Emma has illustrated perfectly how the rest of the male staff operates. They spend most of the time talking about the whores they picked up the night before, where the cheapest place is to acquire them, what female students they have aspirations of sleeping with (regardless of whether they have families, husbands, or boyfriends) and will constantly sexually harass the Chinese local teachers. Quite frankly, it's a joke. The fact that these men are teaching children on the weekends is beyond me!

EF Dongguan is highway robbery when it comes to their low salary. Virtually any other school (training or not) in Dongguan will pay you more money. They'll offer 5500 RMB for the first three months, and it's THAT low of a salary because of how often the new hires realize how terrible of a place English First Dongguan is to work or won't fit into the sexist clique formed there.

I am also quite surprised at how this school hasn't been shut down by the local government yet. Many ex-teachers have brought them to the Labour Board for not being paid their salaries. Many of the teachers do not have any certification to teach in the first place (TEFL, ESL, even college degrees) and all of this is fabricated and bribed for by Tom. It blows my mind how this place can operate on a daily basis.

BEWARE: EF Dongguan has read this post and have accused and threatened ex-teachers who are posting about their experiences here! This post is slowly and deservedly becoming the highest search result when searching Google for this school. I wouldn't be surprised at all if "Peter Parker" is one of their rarely literate teachers who is trying to defend what little excuse for decency this training school has ever had...

There is a reason why in the past multiple have quit simultaneously from this hellhole. EF Dongguan is a manipulative school and deserves to be run to the ground!

#11 Parent Peter Parker - 2011-06-09

Sorry to disappoint you Steve, but I'm not Wes. I'm just someone who has been in China long enough to be able to see when an English teacher (and I use the term loosely in reference to yourself) is talking out of his backside.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with EF. In fact, I have worked at training centres before and I do not like working in them because of many reasons (such as working weekends, the scheduling, the split days off, etc). I do not blame EF for this, like I have written previously, this is the nature of working at a training centre, if you do not like it don't work in one, you do not have to deride a business or a man just because it did not suit you or your expectations of a "crackin'" life. If I was to take a guess, I would surmise that you are the kind of teacher that is either unable to get a job at a private kindergarten, or International school, etc or if you were able to, you would not be able to hang on to that job for too long, which leaves you no option but to work at training centres.

A 40 hour workweek is a 40 hour workweek. Some schools
do more, some do less, but be honest about your scheduling.

Yes a 40 hour work week is a 40 hour work week, great insight there, Steve! A training centre, for a full-time position, will usually employ a teacher for 20-25 teaching hours a week, plus additional time (in the case of EF a total of 40 hours) for paperwork, etc. This is actually quite standard. Do you really expect a company to hire you full-time and only want you to work a total of 25 hours a week??? Please, point to me in the direction of these companies that hire full-time teachers for a grand total of 25 hours a week. You previously wrote that other training centres will employ a teacher to teach for 25 hours a week, but you did not specify any other details (such as how many hours that training centre requires you to stay in the office to do your paperwork, etc), you left it deliberately vague so as to misrepresent working hours. If you want to only work 20-25 hours a week, I am sure that there are plenty of training centres that will hire you part-time. Except, that a part-time wage cannot cover your drinking expenses for the month, can it? So yes, let's be honest about scheduling.

Also, at the end of the day, you signed a contract agreeing to these working hours, for you now to whine about it speaks volumes about your professionalism.

A personal attack because I am speaking out
against a blatant wrong done by you and EF Dongguan. There is no misinformation on my
end.

If truth be told, I am hardly a fan of the EF company. I know they are franchises and with most franchises they can be hit and miss. I have heard some horror stories about some EF franchises but never anything bad about EF in DG, and I have been here a while. From your poorly written posts I have not really seen too much wrongdoing from EF DG, only that they have tried to hold you to your contract (shock! horror! They want you to work a 40 hour full-time work week!), and that a manager has some degree of control over the people directly under him (I know, how awful it must be that a manager can have such power in a business!).

Yeah, if you are a lazy bollocks! Most, like myself, would rather that
time be spent doing something productive in lue of "sitting on my arse".

You whined about having to work 40 hours a week and above you whine about sitting on your arse. I think we can safely deduce that you do not have a great work ethic so excuse me if I call bull on the fact that you would rather spend this time teaching or doing paperwork. BTW, it is "in lieu" not "in lue". When an English teacher makes glaring mistakes such as these, one has to wonder about the quality of their teaching.

Mark my words, if you work at E.F. Dongguan, Wes WILL talk behind your back (that is when he's not taking you to the
closest massage parlour for a "special" massage. He knows em all!). This is part of who he is! It's standard bullying technique, really.

Yeah, sure Steve, I'll take your word for it.

My drinking habits, and those of many teachers in China,
aren't an excuse for poor managing. Punish those that can't control themselves, not all
just to prove who is in control.

He does punish those that cannot control themselves. If you are genuinely sick all you have to do is produce a doctor's certificate. Of course, if you are hungover it may be a little more difficult to get that doctor's certificate (but, let's be honest, not impossible) which is where your problem comes in, right?

If I was dicky, maybe too ill to get out of bed, I would be nicked two days pay.

Yeah, but I am sure that even in your deathbed you can summon enough strength and courage to make it to the local clinic to see a doctor. Again, excuse me if I call bull on your quote above.

So you're saying that you ARE taking advantage of these people
then? Because they have no proper education?

I know there are employers in China who do take advantage of unqualified teachers, so I ask you, why would you put yourself in the position for ANYONE to take advantage of you? Why don't you go home and get yourself an education and then come back to China? Let me guess, you do not have the discipline to do so, right?

If they come to China
for only a year or two, they'll be here for an experience. To see Asia. Teachers come to
experience a crackin' life away from home. NOT to be controlled and manipulated by you.

I can't speak for Wes, but as an employer myself, if a teacher wants to experience a "crackin'" life away from home then that is fine, he can do what he wants in his spare time/holidays, but when he is teaching or in the office then he is working and I would expect him to perform his duties to the best of his abilities. If he cannot, then he can go and experience his "crackin'" life somewhere else. It really isn't that difficult a concept to understand, is it Steve?

#12 Parent putty in her hands - 2011-06-09

I can see from the video why western male foreign teachers like teaching in Dongguan. Some of the young Chinese chicks there must be really attractive. I can't blame young virile western males for getting turned on in Dongguan. They will seldom have encountered any such beautiful young women where they were born and bred. The link to the video below shows grade 2 senior middle school girls of Dongguan High School captivating their audience and looking their sexiest in the process. Enjoy, wow!

http://www.chinasmack.com/2011/video/dongguan-high-school-girls-risque-dance-performance.html...

#13 Parent Peter Parker - 2011-06-10

If the person who wrote the above quotation DOES work for EF Dongguan

No, I do not and have never worked at any EF.

I spent three months of a 12 month contract at EF Dongguan alienated by a misogynistic boys
club. A group of male teachers - in fact let's just be honest and call them sex tourists
- are constantly sexually harrassing the school's female Chinese staff, openly having
sex with female students (breach of professional boundaries) as well as prostitutes
(breach of Chinese law; breach of the school's contract), the worst of it being the one
who openly bragged in the teachers office about forcing a young Chinese woman to have
sex with him (breach of basic human rights; breach of Chinese law and frankly a breach
of my ears too). Horrifying.

I have met some EF DG teachers in the past and I know what you are talking about. I may very well have met Steven Parker and his buddies in this thread as well and going by what I know about them (some of the teachers that I have met) I have no doubts you have experienced the above, and for that you have my sympathies. That further illustrates my point about the unprofessionalism of some foreign teachers and their defensiveness when their professionalism is questioned.

My posts have only been to refute Steven Parker's posts. I can smell unprofessional teachers a mile away and I felt compelled to respond to his comments on this thread.

No doubt he may come on here and exclaim disgust at the behaviour of the male teachers at EF DG but I also have no doubts that he partook in such things himself

#14 Parent Emma - 2011-06-09

It is unprofessional scum like you (and your buddies who replied
to this OP) that give all decent English teachers who do the right thing a bad
reputation.

I feel the need to point out that EF Dongguan wouldn't know the meaning of "decent" if it slapped them in the face with a chainsaw.

I spent three months of a 12 month contract at EF Dongguan alienated by a misogynistic boys club. A group of male teachers - in fact let's just be honest and call them sex tourists - are constantly sexually harrassing the school's female Chinese staff, openly having sex with female students (breach of professional boundaries) as well as prostitutes (breach of Chinese law; breach of the school's contract), the worst of it being the one who openly bragged in the teachers office about forcing a young Chinese woman to have sex with him (breach of basic human rights; breach of Chinese law and frankly a breach of my ears too). Horrifying.

Male teachers at EF Dongguan are openly encouraged by management and colleagues to take full advantage of the unregulated and illegal sex industry. What happened to teaching being a respected profession, and to teachers being responsible people? EF Dongguan makes a mockery of teaching as a profession in so many ways, not least by hiring men whose raison d'etre is to sleep with as many young naive Chinese women as possible, an activity for which teaching English provides a thin veil of disguise. Exploits are discussed during working hours (as well as when you are socialising), so you'd best get used to it. The DoS is a part of it so you have nowhere to go should you feel uncomfortable in any way. My induction at EF involved an afternoon of drinking beer and witnessing some of the most vile, chauvinistic conversation and behaviour I have ever experienced. Male 'teachers' harrassing Chinese women as they walked past us. Utterly humiliating for them and for me as a visitor in their home country.

If the person who wrote the above quotation DOES work for EF Dongguan, I would suggest taking a long hard look at the meaning of double standards and of the word hypocrisy. Have an honest conversation with yourself about the fairness of your expectations of staff when you present no clear boundaries and no example of decency yourself.... how the confidential nature of a manager/staff relationship is consistently breached and no level of trust can be established. EF Dongguan is a place where decent teachers who 'do the right thing' are marginalised, ignored, alienated and manipulated.... whilst the remainder of sexual deviants employed there are heartily congratulated and promoted for their 'efforts'.

I had to leave EF Dongguan without giving any notice because my colleagues were told if they broke their contracts they would face fines, be blocked when attempting to cross the border, and/or face deportation. Clearly the organisation would have little power to do this but behind these lies is an implied intention to make it as difficult for you to leave as possible. The contract stipulates that unless you have a "valid reason" (working alongside a sex offender? probably not valid enough) EF can withhold payment for your final working month. This is not good practice, and not a risk I was willing to take, given the circumstances.

I am posting this because other female teachers have the right to know the situation they would face working at EF Dongguan. Travelling alone in Asia has its risks but one should be able to expect her western employer would not contribute to this but provide a barrier against it. Teaching abroad should be a fun, challenging and enriching experience for everyone. My experience in China transpired as anything but. I had no concept of how naive I was before I arrived at EF Dongguan. Had I known then what I know now, I would have given the establishment a very wide berth indeed. What a sad situation for all involved.

#15 Parent Steve - 2011-06-09

Dear, dear, "Peter" (eh hem, Wes, your real name)

For those who read the last post by one "Peter Parker", which I'm 95% sure is Wes, the DOS (teacher manager) I spoke about, please recognise the manipulative wording and name calling used. This is who the leadership of E.F. Dongguan is. I will list each example now.

"I have never worked at EF but while they have a 40 hour work week I doubt you are actually teaching for 40 hours EF may also have a 20-25 hour "contact week" but a 40 hour work week (where the other time is used for lesson planning, paperwork, etc)?" Those are funny sentences. It seems you know quite a lot about this. Where have you taught in China? A 40 hour workweek is a 40 hour workweek. Some schools do more, some do less, but be honest about your scheduling.

"Spreading misinformation just because you have a gripe with certain people says more about you than EF itself." A personal attack because I am speaking out against a blatant wrong done by you and EF Dongguan. There is no misinformation on my end.

"As far as I understand from your rambling post, they are paying you for sitting on your arse to be the Duty Interviewer for 10 hours. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me!" Yeah, if you are a lazy bollocks! Most, like myself, would rather that time be spent doing something productive in lue of "sitting on my arse".

"Also, I would not hire anyone to teach English who cannot differentiate between "waist" and "waste". If EF can be blamed for anything is hiring semi-illiterate morons to teach English. Are you even a native English speaker, Steve Parker? " Another bit of name-calling here. Mark my words, if you work at E.F. Dongguan, Wes WILL talk behind your back (that is when he's not taking you to the closest massage parlour for a "special" massage. He knows em all!). This is part of who he is! It's standard bullying technique, really.

"This is probably because of the high number of "English Teachers" who fall ill so very, very often. Amazingly enough they usually fall "ill" after a big night out drinking. It would not surprise me if this "Steve Parker" was such a teacher." My drinking habits, and those of many teachers in China, aren't an excuse for poor managing. Punish those that can't control themselves, not all just to prove who is in control. You fail to correct the problem but instead punish all. I consider that a poor management trait, not to mention an alienating method of leadership.

"If you are genuinely ill, go to the local clinic and get a doctor's note, surely that is not too much to ask and anyone with brains would do it if two days' salary was on the line (which I doubt is actually true). The whole thing about the hours is quite standard across all training centres anywhere and that is the nature of working at a training centre. If you don't like it, find a job in another type of education facility, don't bitch and whine on an Internet board." Really, you believe this is true Wes? If I was dicky, maybe too ill to get out of bed, I would be nicked two days pay. Is that the way it is everywhere. NO! And internet boards are where people look to find information. I'm giving them some real information.

"If you do not want to be taken advantage of, here is an idea, go back home and get properly educated so that you actually meet the minimum standards for teaching English in China." So you're saying that you ARE taking advantage of these people then? Because they have no proper education? Shame on you Wes, and shame on E.F. Dongguan! How many teachers at E.F. Dongguan have college degrees now? 3-4 maybe...

"It is unprofessional scum like you (and your buddies who replied to this OP) that give all decent English teachers who do the right thing a bad reputation." Another bit of name calling. Wes, you need to look at who you are, and what you've become. You just sent-up some of the people that YOU hired because they disagree with your methods. Maybe you need to hire someone who fits your needs. Oh, thats right. The uni educated teachers are making more money at home than in China. If they come to China for only a year or two, they'll be here for an experience. To see Asia. Teachers come to experience a crackin' life away from home. NOT to be controlled and manipulated by you. THAT is why it's hard for you to hire new teachers.

oh, bytheway, a few have emailed me after seeing what I wrote. I even gave information about some teachers currently working at E.F. Dongguan to clarify. I've got one more question for you, Wes. Have you hired any new teachers lately? Any couples? Probably not.

If anyone wants a job, E.F. Dongguan is looking for teachers. But I advise you to find a job at another school, or even in a different country.

last word. I will not respond to this post again (except through email). Teaching in Asia is a wonderful experience when at a high quality school that understands who you are as a foreign teacher. Schools that give you opportunities to progress, and to enjoy your time in a foreign country. I recommend you to seek schools that aren't manipulative or controlling. If you feel like the school you arre talking with is this way, move on. There are many, many schools across Asia that'll take you.

#16 Parent Nikki - 2011-06-09

Why don't you go back to wherever you are from and see how many hours per week you would be
working at a full-time job there? I have never worked at EF but while they have a 40
hour work week I doubt you are actually teaching for 40 hours. EF may also have a 20-25
hour "contact week" but a 40 hour work week (where the other time is used for
lesson planning, paperwork, etc). This is pretty standard across most training centres
in China (and indeed Asia). Spreading misinformation just because you have a gripe with
certain people says more about you than EF itself.

But you have NEVER worked at E.F??.....mmmmmmm...you worked in any E.F???

This is probably because of the high number of "English Teachers" who fall ill so
very, very often. Amazingly enough they usually fall "ill" after a big night
out drinking. It would not surprise me if this "Steve Parker" was such a
teacher. If you are genuinely ill, go to the local clinic and get a doctor's note,
surely that is not too much to ask and anyone with brains would do it if two days'
salary was on the line (which I doubt is actually true). The whole thing about the hours
is quite standard across all training centres anywhere and that is the nature of working
at a training centre. If you don't like it, find a job in another type of education
facility, don't bitch and whine on an Internet board.

Why don't you go back to wherever you are from and see how many hours per week you would be
working at a full-time job there? I have never worked at EF but while they have a 40
hour work week I doubt you are actually teaching for 40 hours. EF may also have a 20-25
hour "contact week" but a 40 hour work week (where the other time is used for
lesson planning, paperwork, etc). This is pretty standard across most training centres
in China (and indeed Asia). Spreading misinformation just because you have a gripe with
certain people says more about you than EF itself.

Nah not really..I was genuinely ill..twice.. and didnt get a doctor's note cos I couldnt be [edited].

If you do not want to be taken advantage of, here is an idea, go back home and get properly
educated so that you actually meet the minimum standards for teaching English in China.
Working on a tourist or business visa is illegal. Just because you and your buddies do
it, it does not mean that it should be done and you do run the risk of being fined and
deported if you do so. It is unprofessional scum like you (and your buddies who replied
to this OP) that give all decent English teachers who do the right thing a bad
reputation.

No its NOT giving *all decent English Teachers a bad reputation*.....and cooking DEGREES is illegal, you know falsifying documents is to like...come on man....its a public forum hence WE can write and say what's on our mine....The Chinese govt only crunch down when its something special is happening in the motu e.g. Beijing Olympics, Guangzhou Games etc...the next one is the University Games.

* and your buddies who replied to this OP......Bro seriously...its because WE CAN...its a FORUM....if your unhappy with the post...dont read or write...but hey....YOU CAN...right so...you have an opinion...WE have an opinion....kill ALL the noise bro...The Peter Parker whose NEVER worked THERE!

and seriously NO Its not GIVING decent TEACHERS a bad reputation....seriously they should of got rid of my [edited] after the 1st WEEK, but hey they didnt...then thats their problem...the selection process could be done another way, but hey you dont have a choice when your in need of teachers...

Educated I am I must of got my Degree from the weet-bix box...bahahaha...but I seriously couldnt stand the adults, kids and the parents and the DOS, Centre Manager and My Supervisor knew...and really I didnt give a [edited] if my students did or didnt either.

ZAI JIAN :P!!

#17 Parent PeterParker - 2011-06-08

You are required to work a
"40 hour work week" as a foreign teacher at EF Dongguan, and they hold you to
it!Funny thing is that most foreign teachers in China average 20 working hours per week

Why don't you go back to wherever you are from and see how many hours per week you would be working at a full-time job there? I have never worked at EF but while they have a 40 hour work week I doubt you are actually teaching for 40 hours. EF may also have a 20-25 hour "contact week" but a 40 hour work week (where the other time is used for lesson planning, paperwork, etc). This is pretty standard across most training centres in China (and indeed Asia). Spreading misinformation just because you have a gripe with certain people says more about you than EF itself.

Even if you aren't teaching because they don't have enough students, they have
time-waisting duties like Duty Interviewer (usually a 10 hour shift waiting for
prospective students to come in, then you can interview them for 5 minutes. It is a
regular occurrence to have only one or two interviews the WHOLE DAY! What a waist.)

If they want to "waist" your time, which they are paying for, then that is their prerogative. As far as I understand from your rambling post, they are paying you for sitting on your arse to be the Duty Interviewer for 10 hours. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me! If my boss told me to sit on my arse for 10 hours and get paid for it, I would jump at the chance. Also, I would not hire anyone to teach English who cannot differentiate between "waist" and "waste". If EF can be blamed for anything is hiring semi-illiterate morons to teach English. Are you even a native English speaker, Steve Parker?

If you become ill, they
require a doctors note, or you are nicked two days salary. No questions. The schedule is
set up where you have a class in the afternoon, maybe for an hour or two, then another
class 2 hours later for two hours. They count that as "only" 3 hours, I count
it as 7 hours that I can't do anything else.

This is probably because of the high number of "English Teachers" who fall ill so very, very often. Amazingly enough they usually fall "ill" after a big night out drinking. It would not surprise me if this "Steve Parker" was such a teacher. If you are genuinely ill, go to the local clinic and get a doctor's note, surely that is not too much to ask and anyone with brains would do it if two days' salary was on the line (which I doubt is actually true). The whole thing about the hours is quite standard across all training centres anywhere and that is the nature of working at a training centre. If you don't like it, find a job in another type of education facility, don't bitch and whine on an Internet board.

These
managers manipulate others, and I believe take advantage of blokes who don't have a
college education. The Visa that they obtain is the preferred Visa, but you can, and
most do, teach in China without it. Don't let them fool you. I have, and many of my
friends have taught using other visas.

If you do not want to be taken advantage of, here is an idea, go back home and get properly educated so that you actually meet the minimum standards for teaching English in China. Working on a tourist or business visa is illegal. Just because you and your buddies do it, it does not mean that it should be done and you do run the risk of being fined and deported if you do so. It is unprofessional scum like you (and your buddies who replied to this OP) that give all decent English teachers who do the right thing a bad reputation.

#18 Parent Nikki - 2011-06-01

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

THIS IS SO DAMN TRUE AND TO THE T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BAHAHAHAHA!!

I worked there for 8 months and you JST suck it in till something BETTER comes along OR GET THE STRAIGHT F**** OUT OF THERE ASAP ;)!

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Hell yia people there is so BETTER and MORE J.O.B.S in CHINA....THAT ALLOWS YOU TO HAVE A LIFE ;)!!

Jst shop around for the j.o.b you want and shop around GOOD ;)!

ONE WORD THAT I AND THE REST WOULD DESCRIBE E.F................CONTROL..............SO IF YOU DONT LIKE BEING CONTROLLED DO NOT APPLY ;)....BAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

#19 Parent William - 2011-05-31

I used to work there also and I can agree with everything that has been said! I still have contact with current teachers and they have similar feelings!

#20 Parent Kevin - 2011-05-27

I am sure we could have a contest for the most manipulative school in china and there would be a huge tie for first place. hahaha

Steve Parker - 2011-05-24
China: EF (English First) Dongguan

I want to start by saying that teaching English in China, or other parts of Asia is a wonderful thing. Do it if you can.

Just don't teach at EF Dongguan. Here are a few reasons why:

1) If you wish to see China while working here, think again! You are required to work a "40 hour work week" as a foreign teacher at EF Dongguan, and they hold you to it! Funny thing is that most foreign teachers in China average 20 working hours per week with plenty of time off for travel. Thats why so many people do it. Not at EF Dongguan. Even if you aren't teaching because they don't have enough students, they have time-waisting duties like Duty Interviewer (usually a 10 hour shift waiting for prospective students to come in, then you can interview them for 5 minutes. It is a regular occurrence to have only one or two interviews the WHOLE DAY! What a waist.) and Duty teacher. You are required to work 5 days per week for 7 months of the year, then 6 days per week the other 5 months! Additionally, when you "only" have to work 5 days per week, you will RARELY (I say rarely because it only happened for me twice in nearly an entire year) have two days off, meaning that you usually have split days off. This leads me to my next point;

2) THEY have the control - The Center Manager, Gary, and the Director of Studies, Wesley [deleted], will NOT under any circumstances do the right thing FOR THE TEACHER. A common saying at the end of my time was that it didn't matter if it was my day off or not, if they wanted me to work, I had to come in. No questions asked. If you become ill, they require a doctors note, or you are nicked two days salary. No questions. The schedule is set up where you have a class in the afternoon, maybe for an hour or two, then another class 2 hours later for two hours. They count that as "only" 3 hours, I count it as 7 hours that I can't do anything else.

3) The managers aren't truth tellers. They WILL tell you ANYTHING to get you to teach there. Right now, I'm told, many of the teachers are either leaving, or about to leave. These managers manipulate others, and I believe take advantage of blokes who don't have a college education. They will tell you that you HAVE to have this Visa, or that you must come now! Not true. The Visa that they obtain is the preferred Visa, but you can, and most do, teach in China without it. Don't let them fool you. I have, and many of my friends have taught using other visas.

4) I will not include this, since it is more feeling and personality disputes between myself and four other former FT's with Wes and Gary, however, if you want further information, you can email me. I will get you teachers information that are there now. i guarantee when they see this, they will sit each of the teachers currently there and tell them they will detain or deport them if they say bad things about EF Dongguan. I GUARANTEE IT!

There were three good things about EF Dongguan:
The visa was very good. No problems with it. That said, I've been, and know many others with different visa's that work just fine.
They paid on-time every month, albeit some mystery fees and the requirement to get a bank account that they had access to (kindof weird)
and last, was that I don't work there anymore.

I'm still teaching English in Asia, but will do whatever I can to help others to not make the mistake I made by working at EF Dongguan. The most manipulative school in all of China.

Return to Index › China: EF (English First) Dongguan

Go to another board -