TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › don't you know here comes a bus?
#1 Parent Contributor - 2011-07-12
Re: don't you know here comes a bus?

5) Don't you know 'Here comes a Bus'? The correction has been made in line with 4 above. It could have been the title of a book or a poem or a play or a movie.

It is, indeed, the title of a children's book by Harriet Ziefert & Richard Brown.

#2 Parent foxy - 2011-07-11
Re: don't you know here comes a bus?

don't you know here comes a bus?

We should construct a sentence to fit the following model - Don't you know sth/sb? At the same time the sentence must make sense as regards its meaning. Examples of correct sentences along these lines would be:

1) You've been in China for ten years. Don't you know Chinese culture? ( = You should be familiar with Chinese culture.)
2) My cousin lives next door to you. Her name is Betty Green. Don't you know her? ( = I expect that you have met her.)
3) You are Chinese and love basketball, but you cannot name any Chinese basketball stars. I'm so surprised. Don't you know of Yao Ming? ( = I think you must have heard of Yao Ming.)
4) You are a horror movie addict. I have asked you to name a horror movie that has the name 'Johnny' in its title, but you can't. Don't you know (of) 'Here comes Johnny'? ( = I'd have thought you would have seen/heard of/been familiar with 'Here comes Johnny'.)
5) Don't you know 'Here comes a Bus'? The correction has been made in line with 4 above. It could have been the title of a book or a poem or a play or a movie.
6) Another possibility - Don't you know whether a bus will come? ( = I'd have thought you would have known if a bus will come.) The context would be such that the person asked the question lives very close to the bus stop where the conversation is taking place, and maybe a bus hasn't come for quite a long time while they were standing there.

[Edited by Administrator (admin) Mon, 11 Jul 2011, 11:36 AM]

Max - 2011-07-11

Is this a correct sentence? ie. grammatically, structurally, syntax, usage. If not, can someone please correct this sentence? Thank you,

max

Return to Index › don't you know here comes a bus?

Go to another board -