Return to Index › Decision Time - Please Help
#1 Parent Richard Eaton - 2011-07-13
Re: Decision Time - Please Help

I will add this further information on the job offer I have recieved:

ZHEJIANG YONGKANG ADULTS INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
Province: ZHEJIANG
City Location: YONGKANG Level of Institution: INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
ZHEJIANG YONGKANG ADULTS INTERNATIONAL

I have a full contract in pdf format all ready to be signed. Actually my interview via skype with the school is today.

The contract covers all the points highlighted in the checklist that was provided in one of the replies. Thankyou for that.

In answer to 'how did I post my resume'.........................................top left corner on the teachers section on the home page mate.

#2 Parent Liam - 2011-07-13

Hi,
I'm sorry to intrude on your post but I wanted to ask where you posted your CV in order to receive job offers because I am about to start looking for a teaching position in China (I hold a BA degree, 20hr TEFL qual but unfortunately I don't have any teaching experience).

Thanks,
Liam

#3 Parent Sam - 2011-07-13

Richard:

I found this China EFL Pre-Employment Checklist on http://middlekingdomlife.com/guide/checklist.htm:

1.Number of face-to-face teaching hours per week?

2.Number of office hours and other work?

3.Typical amount of time needed for preparation and grading homework?

4.Does the school have multiple branches and are teachers required to work split-shifts, especially across multiple branches?

5.How far is the apartment from where you will be teaching?

6.Is travel time between branches compensated for?

7.Is overtime mandatory or voluntary?

8.Does the school have English Corners and contests, and, if so, what are the rates of pay?

9.How many days off per week do you have and are they contiguous?

10.Total number of paid vacation (non-rescheduled) days off per year?

11.Travel allowance, straight reimbursement of airfare, or bonus and how much?

12.Probationary period and, if so, how long?

13.Does the school appear to value the role of the foreign teachers or are they simply viewed as superfluous? Related, ask if foreign teachers are ever
assigned to teach classes other than "oral English."

14.Apartment will be inspected, repaired, painted as needed and cleaned before arrival?

15.What is the school's policy, if any, on overnight visitors and long-term house guests?

16.What floor is the apartment you will be assigned on and does the building have an elevator? If so, does the building have a backup generator and,
related, how often and for how long each time does the area lose electricity?

17.Does or will the school provide a Western-style, coiled-spring mattress?

18.Are utilities and Internet included and, if so, are they shared across several apartments?

19.Is a kitchen included, and if so, what provisions for cooking are there, e.g., gas/electric range, microwave, etc.?

20.Are kitchen and cooking utensils provided?

21.Did/can school provide you with the names and contact information of both current and former teachers?

22.School will pay for residency permit and physical exam for foreigner?

23.Did the school provide you with representative photos of the apartment you will be living in?

24.Is moonlighting allowed? (ask this of teachers only)

25.Does school pay on time? (ask this of teachers only)

26.Adequate air conditioning/heat in all rooms? (ask this of teachers only)

I would hightly recommend visiting http://middlekingdomlife.com for a comprehensive guide (free!) to teaching ESL in China.

Also, I would recommend Raoul's China Saloon: http://raoulschinasaloon.com/

Good luck!

#4 Parent San Migs - 2011-07-13

1) NETWORK ESL - position in Zhejiang

Most definitely avoid this outfit...they are into data mining, and have had a lot of complaints against them on these boards in the past!

Good luck!

Richard Eaton - 2011-07-13
Decision Time - Please Help

Well having placed my resume online about a week ago now, I have been swamped with requests to join schools in China. South Korea isn't an option for me because I have 1 conviction for common assault. That devastated me being as my partner is from South Korea and would have loved me to work over there. Wedding bells are in the far distance future so any hint of an alternative visa route to Korea is not an option at this time. Anyway, I desperately need advice on the following 2 schools (recruiters) that seem to be the most legit. By the way, I have almost been sucked in by the infamous Jilin Province Tianshuo Education Exchanges Service Co. LTD, Changchun City, Jilin Province!!!!!!! Thank god I did some research on here first!!!!

So the two that I really like are:

1) NETWORK ESL - position in Zhejiang

2) Robyn Lu, Marita Qiu - position in Guangzhou
Tel:86-27 88024035,88027785

All the correspondance has been well written and of professional standard. The links to the websites are good and the sites themselves very impressive. Both of my contacts have been exceptionally polite and so I feel pretty good about them.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated as Im concerned about making the wrong choice here guys, the same as anyone else I guess.

Return to Index › Decision Time - Please Help

Go to another board -