TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Way around the C h i n e F i r e w a l l?
#1 Parent San Migs - 2011-09-05
Re: Way around the C h i n e F i r e w a l l?

This Facebook thing is not about "national security"...it's about economic racism, plain and simple.

I would agree. Surely sites like renren would pose a security risk, or are those heavily controlled?

#2 Parent Eric - 2011-09-05
Re: Way around the C h i n e F i r e w a l l?

This Facebook thing is all about the money. You see, Chinese social networking services cannot compete with offshore services because they are too stupid and lazy to offer English versions of their product for those of us who cannot read Chinese. The only way these companies can compete is by eliminating the competition. They did this by paying government officials to remove the competition. Authorities did this by fabricating a "security threat" in a remote Chinese province, then using this "threat" as an excuse to kick Facebook out of China (they use similar tactics to demonize anyone they hate, [edited]). Oh, yes...people will tell you they saw photographs in the newspaper and reports on television, but you will not find anyone who actually witnessed the events in question. It was all faked, then used as an excuse to remove Facebook from China. Okay, you can pay to have access using a virtual private network (VPN), but they only accept Chinese credit cards (your foreign card won't be accepted here), and only Chinese folks can qualify for these. This Facebook thing is not about "national security"...it's about economic racism, plain and simple.

Many years ago, Confucius said (in effect) that, "A tree growing in the wind becomes a strong tree." In today's China, wind is illegal.

Return to Index › Re: Way around the C h i n e F i r e w a l l?

Go to another board -