TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › MAKE 'EM LAUGH!
#1 Parent Julia - 2005-05-21
I agree with you........ - ESL discussion

I agree with you totally. I enjoy reading your posts and responses. You have a great way of expressing your opinion. Have a nice day!

#2 Parent The Arrogant One - 2005-05-20
Thanks for your support - ESL discussion

I have truly enjoyed reading all the first class follow-up commentary on my original article pertaining to humor in the classroom. There can be no denial that laughter has its rightful place within a class -- particularly in the ESL world. It doesn't seem to matter from which locale or culture a student has emanated, for humor is surely humor by ANY standard, while the first gesture that can be shared by student and teacher alike might very well be regarded as the creation of that common bond of mutual cooperation in the ensuing learning process.

Again, each of us employs his/her own methodology in achieving the goal of student attention ... and once this has been established , we, as instructors, feast on Mt. Olympus in knowing that we have not strayed from that much-revered route to satisfaction as educators. And each time I succeed in capturing a new audience ... I love it!

Viva ESL!

Love to all,

>\-| The Arrogant One

#3 Parent Elephant - 2005-05-20
Yeap - ESL discussion

When you're teaching anything anywhere, your students must meet you at least part of the way. Great classrooms and schools mean great teachers AND great students. No doubt many a great teacher has looked bad because he or she had rotten students. No doubt many a rotten teacher has looked good because he or she had great students.

No matter how boring the subject matter, students can be great by accepting some things in life are boring but must still be done if they are to meet their ultimate goals. I wish a lot of my students would learn this and get the lead out.

#4 Parent Beatrix Blancmange - 2005-05-20
Enjoyed reading your comments!!!!! - ESL discussion

I liked your descriptions about running upstairs, Bruce Lee, and not paying at the restaurant.
Good stuff.

#5 Parent Beatrix Blancmange - 2005-05-20
RIGHT ON! - ESL discussion

I agree 100%. As a teacher it gets very time consuming to practice new gigs, jokes, outfits, dance routines, and other novelties.
I takes all my time preparing properly for classes as well as teacher training classes.
I am teaching in a responsible fashion, working through learning outcomes. What is it the students should be able to practically and physically do at the end of 40 minutes? If you become over-responsible for their entertainment, they become under-responsible in the classroom. They have to develop self discipline. Hey when I was studying at high school it was so bloody boring at times, I played tea bag basketball in the kitchen at home for some light relief. You are responsible for teaching and delivering the curriculum and they are responsible for attending and doing. :b

#6 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2005-05-18
Efforts to humour - ESL discussion

I am far from an expert on humour and would never claim to be.I'm still a relative babe in ESL with so far just two and half years experience.

All I can relate is what for the most part works for me.I also think that in an ideal or perfect world, not a lot of humour would be necessary in the classroom, but the society that we live in today is a breeding ground for short attention spans.That's possibly why rich kids ,whose parents can afford the latest gadgets,(mp3's,computer games, dvds etc.) are often harder to teach.

The best humour is spontaneous.Most of what I use is not pre-planned.A simple illustration of an animal or a man running upstairs in the form of gestures or mimicking can provide comic relief, as well as being an effective teaching aid.

I always use gestures in class, and used creatively they can be very humourus to not just Chinese children but adults as well!Everyone can relate to gestures especially if you put across everyday funny situations.

For instance in the previous Middle School where I taught I was trying to explain to the children what a bill or check(cheque) is in a restaurant.The students couldn't understand as I tried to get them to think of what a customer has to do after they've eaten their meal, but before they leave the restaurant.

I gestured as if I'd just finished a meal in a restaurant and was about to pay for my meal when shock horror, I realise I've left my wallet at home .So I illustrate a man frantically searching his pockets for money,and realising he hasn't any with him ,then looking around furtively ,before making a mad dash for the door.

This had the class in stitches,but also helped virtually all the children to instantly know what I meant!Very enjoyable for everybody,and I thought a much better memory aid for the students than just throwing the Chinese word at them.

This was something I thought of on the spur of the moment ,but then used for all subsequent classes where I was teaching that word.

This is of course hardly ground-breaking stuff.I'm sure many teachers use similar and often even better examples.

Sometimes If I'm talking about the word song or sing ,I sing for a few seconds,sometimes a few words of a Chinese song I know.I find this helpful in building a rapport with my students which I feel is essential.It's true we're not there to make friends with the students but there's a lot to be gained in being friendly to them.

I also mimic Bruce Lee a lot in class.Although this popular kung fu star died more than thirty years ago virtually every Chinese child I've taught in Elementary and Middle School know who he was, (if you mention his Chinese name) and enjoy my poor impersonations of him.

I go into a Bruce Lee fighting stance when a child is not paying attention, i.e doing other homework or talking in class and this light-hearted reaction usually stops the negative behaviour without me shouting or getting angry.

Again hardly ground-breaking and maybe not to everyones cup of tea.As for censoring just use common sense with children(nothing blue)just like anywhere,and take into consideration that often even Chinese adults don't like blue humour in public!I also generally stay clear of religon or politics.

I've just thought of something else I do sometimes.If I ask a Chinese child for their English name and they say Bill for example,I might do an impersonation of Bill Clinton or something.

When I ask some children for their English name, sometimes they might respond with 'Bu shi!',meaning '...don't have..',but I often pretend to take this to mean their name is Bush, and launch into a poor impersonation of the American President.

I try not to make the mistake of joking and fooling around in class to much.I use humour to ADD to my class to make it more presentable and palatable,to get the students to relax and to open and focus their minds.

Although humour is an important tool the real meat of my lessons are the lesson plans.My humour is simply used as a channel to get each lesson across to the students.

Of course it doesn't always work,I have my fair share of days where it all falls apart and I think what the hell am I doing here,but I guess that's part of the life of an ESL teacher!

I'm sorry if anybody thinks the above is inane or a load of twaddle but we all have our different ideas and approaches and anyway for the most part it works for me.

I realise I still have a lot to learn and just like others I'm trying to find better ideas,appproaches and ways to improve my teaching.

Best wishes to all ESL teachers everywhere!

#7 Parent Chrisping - 2005-05-17
What is Humor - ESL discussion

I am having just a little trouble understanding what exactly is humor/humorous to chinese people.

Is it just that you laugh - they laugh?
Or does the joke have to be carfully sensored and tailored so it would not normally be funny to the average western ear?

Just what do you do to make em laugh without being Mr bean!??
Any examples hints and tips would be of welcome interest.

I usually resort to "taking the piss" but sometimes i feel i am running out of funny students

#8 Parent SiamSap - 2005-05-16
That's Dead On, AO - ESL discussion

Nice post. I agree completely. I've often wondered about how to best deliver new material to my students. You're right, AO. Students' first impressions of new and difficult material determines if that material makes into their noodles on the first take or will require several repeats. I teach at a gov't school in Thailand. I've used 'fun and games' (Bozo's Way) with some material, and I've used a more 'reserved' delivery with other material. I think BOTH ways are important, and here's why:

1. Bozo's Way does help younger learners overcome that ever-present 'inferiority complex' with which all my Thai students seem to be plagued. My making my students laugh seems to make them forget, if only for a few moments, their belief inside that 'they can't do it'. I've seen amazing things in my classes when my kids have acted like hyenas.

2. The 'reserved' way is important to remind students they need to make an extreme effort to learn English. Our 'climb' up the English mountain was like an easy walk up a 10-degree slope. For my students (who have no contact with native speakers other than me), learning English is like climbing straight up a sheer rock face--it's slow and definitely NOT easy. Practice, practice, practice we all tell our students. Well, that's boring, boring, boring to a Thai student. I think using a 'boring' approach sometimes is a good way to get my students 'used' to the fact that learning English is, at times, BORING. If they accept this, they may very well develop the initiative to practice, practice, practice on their own. It's hard....after all, I teach in Thailand where 'charm' is the key.

#9 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2005-05-14
Our bread and butter! - ESL discussion

Right TAO,

Service with a smile is what they call it.Yes it pays to show appreciation for our students(customers), for without them we'd be up the proverbial creek without a paddle, as far is ESL is concerned.

Although that is not the primary reason I use humour,it is important and valid,and something I often think about!

#10 Parent The Arrogant One - 2005-05-13
RIGHT ON! - ESL discussion

Yingwen,

I believe you've captured the essence of what I was originally saying ... that humor in the classroom is a tool for controlling the initial introduction of the material to be learned and, thereafter, to more or less guide the general "learning attitude" of the student body.

I loved something else you said, at the outset of your dissertation ... that LIFE, itself, is very serious and that humor plays a large part in it. I dare say, were it not for our innate sense of humor, so many more of us would find ourselves totally incapable of surviving many of life's everyday challenges. Ergo, stiff-necked, ultra-authoritarian approaches to dealing with students--albeit most effective in the military where DISCIPLINE supersedes all other objectives--is surely NOT the answer in the ESL realm. After all, ESL IS a business, while it's more pleasant to see "customers" with smiles on their faces rather than anger or confusion. In the final analysis, the employment of humor and the intensity of one's teaching style are simply matters of common sense.

#11 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2005-05-12
Balance in the classroom - ESL discussion

In your previous post,you mentioned teaching is a serious business.

It IS! However life itself is very serious,is it not?.Yet humour plays a very huge part in our everyday life.Very few people walk around never smiling or joking,and saying 'life is a serious business so I should never joke'.

So it follows that just because teaching is a serious business it doesn't mean we have to constantly be hard and po-faced in the classrooms.Some people say, you have to be crazy to teach esl.If we never laughed or smiled I think we'd all go around the twist ,and the students too!

I'd like to point out that I am a teacher(although all my students might not agree),not a Comedian or Entertainer(many students would agree with that one,though!).However,I'm also not the sergant Major authoritarian type school master.

I fit somewhere in the middle of the two above extremes ,and I think most esl teachers do as well.
I agree with TAO ,I feel that humour can be likened to an important indispensable tool that a craftsmen would never go to work without.This tool relaxes students,opens up their minds and gets their attention.I think everyone will agree if we find anything amusing and fun it gets our attention and focus much more easily than anything else.

When an Elementary School teacher does something as simple as impersonating a Chicken, it more than anything else helps the students to remember what a Chicken is.Whan they laugh at something they often remember it.

It's obvious that we have many factors to consider when teaching esl.For instance our approach will differ according to, for instance age,grade,ability,nationality,wether the students are motivated or generally unmotivated and numerous other factors.This means a teacher of esl has to be flexible and unrigid in his or her approach.

Of course all teachers have different personalities and ideas.We are not clones and I think none of us want to be!

That's why I thinks it's important for us to respect each others uniqueness and be willing to share and learn from each other without being dogmatic in regards to teaching esl.Our personalities are such a large part of us that it's almost impossible to leave them outside of the classroom.

I think it's this human factor that helps me appreciate the role of humour in the classroom particularly in regard to children.Children are by nature very playful and energetic,so instead of supressing this energy ,why not control and channel it and use it to focus childrens vigour into active participation in the classroom activities? I feel the end justifies the means!

I often do this by playing games.It's amazing how many unattentive ears and silent mouths can be amazingly transformed into razor sharp hearing and a classroom full of students who are going crazy to speak the target language.I find this particularly effective with Chinese teenagers because they are fiercely competitive! I'm not saying games should be used all the time ,but used in the right way they can be very effective!

Every time I enter a Middle School classroom I have a topical ,structured lesson plan.I do exercise authority in the classroom.The students know I'm there to TEACH ENGLISH!.I strive to find the right balance in the classroom,taking into consideration the different factors I mentioned earlier.

Humour plays a huge part in life.In turn a large amount of humour is expressed through COMMUNICATION.So it follows that the esl classroom is a natural breeding ground for humour,particularly an oral English and listening class!.Why not use that to our advantage?

Humour has the ability to invigorate us and make us feel good about life.If we often use it in a correct and balanced way in the classroom, then both students and teachers will enjoy their 'work',and will grow and prosper in the classroom together!

#12 Parent the the - 2005-05-12
ran away... - ESL discussion

...joined the circus.

yeah. acting like a clown - the first and last resort of those who haven't got a clue how to teach, what to teach, and therefore have nothing to teach.

at least in your case, Mr A, we know youre not acting.

JO might have been lapsing into into irony with the monotone delivery stuff, but anyone with half a clue would easily recognise the "grain of truth".

#13 Parent The Arrogant One - 2005-05-11
Keep 'em laughing while they're learning - ESL discussion

There's been somewhat of a controversy on this board regarding the value of a teachers generating humor in an ESL classroom as a tool to assist in the learning process. I, as one, have always employed jokes and gestures - not only as a means of capturing the attention of a class, but also, from its very initiation, to set the attitude and atmosphere of the learning session. However, at this juncture, a question may be raised as to exactly how far one should go with his/her shtick without endangering the value of the material at hand.

Man! Do I ever recall some of the seemingly endless classroom sessions I was forced to endure back in my high school and university days. There he was, Professor Coghill a stuff shirt academic type right out of a 1940s melodrama with Montey Woolley in the lead trying to keep his class awake with his threatening tone and yardstick gyrations. We fell asleep anyway. And, when I came to him at semesters end to complain about having received a paltry C for the course, he immediately adopted a superior tone and said, My boy, you simply didnt stay awake long enough to hear enough right answers! Was that his way of interjecting humor, or merely a put-down? That Ill never know. Anyway, after having spent 20 odd years as a professional musician, I finally adopted a serious interest in education namely ESL. Professor Coghill came immediately to mind, and I vowed from the onset that I would never emulate his sad style of presentation. After having made a few initial boo-boos, everything started to fall into place. Today Im a veteran of ESL, TOEFL, and TOEIC classes in my familiar rle of teacher-entertainer with SRO (full) houses (classes), and a great big smile on everybodys puss!

How far to go with the joking around? Continually ... that is, until youve gotten their attention, and intermittently thereafter. Youd be surprised how loosening up a class can result in an almost guaranteed concentration span throughout delivery of the material at hand. NO! Use of humor does NOT guarantee higher student grades; this inevitably rests upon their study capabilities. But, while a part of the initial learning process, humor makes a grand difference in the overall reception of the coursework.

So, Mr. JO 753, as for likening the educational process to some fictional ultra-strict military academy is an exception since, in the screenplay, the school was for delinquent kids whose parents sought a last resort for their acquiring some sense of responsibility. It was quite an enjoyable episode (October 1971), however in a ESL school, we are dealing with foreign kids in a new and often terrifying environment. I have found the best way to deal with them is through humor. Yes, we must study and study hard! But, HOW we go about that task is everything. Make em laugh!

Love,

The Arrogant One

#14 Parent JO 753 - 2005-05-11
Grain of Truth - ESL discussion

OK I admit it wuz just a joke.

But there iz sum truth to it.

The students do have to take learning seriously enuff to give it priority over play time, even if it gets difficult or dull. Anybody who wants to be more than a follower needs to have the discipline & fortitude to go after information rather than expecting it to fall off the tree like a ripe fruit.

Its JO, not Jo.

#15 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-05-11
Nice - ESL discussion

You are awesome. I hope I can make it to 68 and still be doing this TEFL thing. If I still have the great attitude you have, I'll think it's all been worth it.

#16 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2005-05-11
O.K O.K! Wind up! - ESL discussion

Alright.

I have to admit,I fell for it.
Nice one Jo!

#17 Parent JO 753 - 2005-05-11
Time tested methods - ESL discussion

Are you gentlemen suggesting that the time tested traditions of Westpoint, Glendalough, Throckmorton and all other fine military academies the world over are misguided?

"Drill, Mr. Holston. Drill on every level."---
The Commandant (Leif Ericson) in The 'Academy'. An episode of Night Gallery.

#18 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2005-05-10
Your joking? Not joking?...... - ESL discussion

I find it hard to believe that you are serious in believing that a dry sombre approach would be effective in the esl classroom.

If I tried the methods you mentioned in one of the classrooms of the private Middle School where I teach my students would ALL full asleep very quickly.

Even most adult students would find your approach very tedious!

In my school the students start class,which they have seven days a week, at 6.45am and finish at 8.15pm.
Many of them are not even interested in learning English in the first place!

On top of that they're CHILDREN,many of whom have the attention span of a wall(Have you ever tried to talk to a wall?).I think many esl teachers know what I mean!
A lively animated and stimulating approach coupled with a bit of charisma,can often inspire the least motivated of students.

The postings of scores of teachers ,talking about how difficult it is to hold students attention for more than five minutes bears witness to how important our approach and presentation is when teaching esl.

I can't for the life of me see how a dry,sombre,unadorned monotone is going to do anything but drive them further into slumber.

Surely your approach epitomizes how NOT to do it!

#19 Parent The Arrogant One - 2005-05-10
C'mon, man, loosen up a bit! - ESL discussion

Dear Mr. Jo-Jo Seven Score and Fifty-Three,

NO ONE has really suggested that education be reduced to a sitcom. In fact, what I have indicated is merely handing students their learning accompanied by a cream-filled donut only as an enticement to cooperate where excessive cooperation would not normally be anticipated. This I find similar to greeting a customer with a smile and some small talk instead of immediately lunging into a sales dissertation (the facts and only the facts, Ma'am). You've no doubt heard of the "loosening-up process," or is this likewise regarded as "deplorable," in your straightlaced estimation, Lieutenant Friday? And, as for beginning a class with that cold slap in the puss and equally harsh dissertation, my friend, that may be the route for some, I dare say ... but, as for li'l ole MOI, I'd prefer not having to look behind me everywhere I go for fear of the proverbial kick in the gluteus maximus by some equally straightlaced student who might feel my delivery to be tantamount to some form of harassment!

Bearing equal respect for education, Lieutenant, and having as much regard for the material thereof, I have always been under the impression that to deliver same with a smile - like practically everything else in this world - is the most advantageous road to travel. Criminy! If our world leaders can do it in Moscow and still get their diverse point(s) across, who the hell are we to buck that methodology? Indeed, make 'em laugh!

With love,

The Arrogant One

#20 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2005-05-10
Your joking? Your not joking?..... - ESL discussion

I don't know if your joking,because it seems unbelievable that anybody would think your methods would be effective in the classroom, except to bore the pants of everybody in sight.

If I turned up for one of my Middle School classes and attempted to present my class in a dry,sombre monotone, my students would ALL be asleep in minutes,much more I think I would be pretty quickly slumped over my desk asleep as well.

Even adult students would quickly switch off if they recieved such a presentation.

I have to recognise that many of the students in the private Middle School where I teach don't even want to be in the class learning English,in the first place!Their classes, which are seven days a week in my school, start at 6.45 in the morning ,and finish around 8.15 in the evening,and they are CHILDREN,many with the attention span of a wall(Have you ever tried to talk to a wall before?)I think most esl teachers know what I mean.

Your sombre, unadorned approach would CERTAINLY give you the impression YOU were talking to a wall,because I'm sure they would virtually all switch off in a very short time.

I believe that two teachers could give exactly the same lesson using the same lesson plan, to exactly the same class and one could have a great fun and active class while the other could fail miserably sending the whole class to sleep!

A bit of charisma is essential in the classroom.Being animated,alive,cheerful and stimulating can often do wonders to a class of unmotivated students.

Sombre? Monotone? Unadorned? Cold? Dry? Matter of fact?.It sounds the epitome of how NOT to do it!

#21 Parent JO 753 - 2005-05-10
humor in class? - ESL discussion *Link*

Education is serious business. Attempting to reduce it to the equivelent of a sitcom yuk-a-thon is deplorable.

Clear, somber presentation of the facts, unadorned by the trappings of the tireless TV clown, is essential to weening students from their addiction to mental sugar. Unless they are forcefully torn away from the flash, dazzle and hype, they will never learn that information is something that must be dug up in meager quantities at great expense rather than handed to them in the form of a vitamin fortified jelly filled, glazed donut with sprinkles.

Beginning each class with the cold slap in the face and a dose of harsh reality, then delivering the lesson in a dry, "just the facts, mam" monotone, is the only way a responsible teacher should consider.

The Arrogant One - 2005-05-09
MAKE 'EM LAUGH!

There have been many theories on WHAT, exactly, makes an ESL student desire to return to a particular class session after session. Is it the content of the lesson or the method by which it is delivered? Im convinced that its a combination of the two provided the teacher can meet certain qualifications without appearing like the village idiot. Having spend most of my life a frustrated actor, I long ago adopted the theory that if I can make em laugh, my students will be that much more receptive to the learning material at hand, no matter how boring it might otherwise tend to be. Of course, my particular brand of shtick has always tended to coincide with my somewhat corpulent midriff (wherein, despite my being male, students refer to me as being about 7 months pregnant!), balding head, and somewhat advanced age (Im now pushing 68). Hitting my audience with a series of one-liners at the commencement of each lesson has done absolute wonders for my getting them to pay attention to the subsequent delivery of new and difficult material especially at the lower levels. Of course, Im not saying they will learn such material more efficiently, nor will they remember same more readily. Its only that the initial intake, blended with a comical aura, might be a lot easier to digest than without. Also, being known by the students as a comic, does one a lot of good for his/her overall reputation at the school. Students actually look forward to having you as their teacher and, for that reason, will attempt to weather duller classes until that time arrives. Another way to look at is that, in your own way, you are assisting your school in maintaining a steady student population.

Just a thought, folks its not gospel.

Love to all,

The Arrogant One

Return to Index › MAKE 'EM LAUGH!

Go to another board -