TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Making new friends in China?
#1 Parent Eric - 2011-09-26
Re: Making new friends in China?

I smell a straw man. I don't hear anyone blaming 20-somethings who carry a German passport for the Holocaust.

#2 Parent San Migs - 2011-09-26

if you have japanese ancestry, then perhaps China is not the best place.

Are you sure japanese history is inviolate?

#3 Parent Dragonized - 2011-09-26

Wow to not meet a fellow hometowner for 3 years! The working system in china sure is good and ruining personal lives, which seems to be the only consistent achievement it has done!

#4 Parent Eric - 2011-09-25

I don't think the expectation that I should be able to eat a restaurant meal without getting sick is being "picky". If I step on your foot, you experience pain; this is not being "picky" about your physical comfort. Or, perhaps you're referring to my comment about racists? Well, I forgive you because I didn't mention that I have Japanese folks in my family. Chinese folks who hate Japanese, simply because of their nationality of birth (and not because of something they have personally done to them), also hate my family. I don't want "friends" who hate my family, thank you. Again, I don't think this is being "picky".

Another poster made a comment about food at street stalls. There is actually another reason why I don't want to eat in Chinese restaurants: sewage oil. Yes, that's right. There are folks who collect waste oil from restaurant sewers, "refine" it, and sell it back to restaurants at a very low price. Local authorities have found many restaurants in town (even so-called "good" restaurants) which use this "recycled" oil. Unfortunately, not all the impurities in it are removed before it is used again. Not being subject to testing or regulation, this oil may (probably) contain substances which are harmful to one's health. With this in mind, even if no-one smoked in Chinese restaurants, I would not patronize them.

Now, back to the main topic. Another thing I've learned about Chinese folks, and Chinese men, in particular, is that they are boring (Chinese women have breasts, which make them only slightly more interesting--to look at, anyway--until you realise that what you see is mostly padding). I don't think I've ever met an interesting Chinese man. Their "interests" extend to family and work, and to little else. Many will claim that football or basketball is their "hobby", but I've yet to meet anyone who says this, who can also describe the characteristics of the ball they play with. Where I come from, a "hobbyist" knows special information about their subject. While I have never played either football or basketball, I know more about both of these activities than most Chinese men, yet I do not claim football or basketball as my "hobby". It's not easy to talk on a subject with someone who knows almost nothing about it.

As to the more "interesting" topics of politics, religion, or sexual behavior, I've discovered that Chinese folks don't really have their own thoughts on these matters. Rather, they repeat what they hear, without any conviction based on personal experience or reasonable judgement. In most cases, their expressions are lifted directly from the state-controlled media and presented as "original" thought. When prompted to elaborate, they simply repeat themselves or tack on more vitriolic diatribe.

It's not easy to have expat friends, either. Shanghai is a big city, and getting together with someone who lives in another part of town can occupy the better part of a day (even with the added "convenience" of the new metro "system"). Many expats do not work a "standard" (Monday to Friday) work week, so their days off (Chinglish: "rest days") are usually mid-week, and are often divided (e.g. Tuesdays and Thursdays). Not only this, but they are subject to periodic revision; someone met on Tuesday afternoon for a few weeks may suddenly have their days off changed. It's not easy to maintain contact with folks whose schedules are always changing. I knew a guy from my (foreign) hometown, in the same line of work as me, and we were able to meet only twice in five years; it's been three years since we last met.

#5 Parent San Migs - 2011-09-25

I am allergic to ETS, so I cannot go to Chinese restaurants, bars or clubs

It sounds like you are very picky. I am not really a smoker, but I don't look down on those who do.

I am amazed you found a Chinese girlfriend, when it seems you really can't stand China or Chinese people so much.

I'll be honest, the smoking bothers me, but it's not all the time or everywhere...one wonderful thing about china is the street food restaurants where you can sit outside, along with bbq smoke, car pollution, cigarette smoke is nothing...I was hacking up more crap from my lungs after one year in Shenzhen than after 14 years of smoking (I quit cigarettes every day when I was 30).

The problem is more the environment.

Polite Regards
SMGS

#6 Parent Dragonized - 2011-09-25

That was a great post, and it shows you what kind of a world we live in. I always find fellow expats to be the reason that I still want to travel abroad, as they are the types of people who share the constant ideology of finding and searching for people whom they have things with in common. You'll always be disappointed if you put too much hope in locals.

#7 Parent Juanisaac - 2011-09-25

The advice you get here is true. Those Chinese that do approach just want something. The Chinese will use a foreigner, but to be genuine friends- forget it. I learned that lesson at my last place of employment. Beware also of accepting gifts or a dinner if you do not want to owe the Chinese person who gave it to you something. These can be English lessons, or in Silverboy's case "something" else.
However, some Chinese people might actually do want a genuine friendship. These are very few and far in between.

Wow, Chinese think we are pests in their country. But what about the millions that have emigrated to our Western countries? I guess they forget about that one. Today, I am reading several articles that businesses and countries have lessened their business ties with China because of their crookedness and arrogance.

In my case, I am friends with a family that let me stay at their farm and in their home all the time. They are very middle class so I know that in material things they can't get much from me, if anything. Yet they drag me along for so many things they do. I'm like a long lost cousin that came back. For example, when I returned to Nanjing a few weeks ago the whole family came to visit me: chilldren, parents, grandparents. That was really cool. Goodluck.

#8 Parent Eric - 2011-09-24

I've been here for nine (9) years. I have a Chinese girlfriend. I don't have any other Chinese friends. Oh, yes...over the years, I have shared my email address or mobile phone number with thousands (really!) of Chinese folks. Twice a year, I must clear out my phone and email contact lists, deleting hundreds of people who have never since contacted me. Those that have contacted me usually want free English lessons, or they want me to write/edit their school/business reports, resumes, email messages and so on. Sometimes, I get messages from folks asking me what an English word or phrase means because they are too lazy/cheap/stupid to buy and learn how to use a dictionary. Admittedly, I am picky about who I call "friend". I will not have racists for "friends", and this eliminates 99% of the Chinese folks I meet. Another problem I have relates to Chinese society, generally. I am allergic to ETS, so I cannot go to Chinese restaurants, bars or clubs; I cannot even go to the gym because management allows guests to smoke indoors (usually in the locker room). Even going to the park on a sunny day is a problem; if a smoker sits upwind of my position, I must pack up my things and move along, or I will get sick. Having someone as a "friend" typically involves spending "face" time with them, sharing activities and interests, building a common history together. However, being unable to participate in Chinese society because of smokers puts a serious crimp on this.

My advice: Give up. Cultivate your expat contacts, here and abroad, instead. Chinese folks just aren't worth your trouble. They will use and abuse you, and ignore you unless you have money or something else to give them. Chinese strangers (and even those who know you) will never help you if you cannot find something you need, if you are lost, or if you have problems. If this doesn't alleviate your situation, my only other suggestion is to listen to Chinese folks when they tell you to, "Go back to your own country."

John - 2011-09-23
Making new friends in China?

Hi all
I have just moved to Shanghai in China, although I am in a suberb so there is a distinct lack of westerners here, probably around 10 of us in the immediate town area. I am used to having lots of friends but I am finding it difficult to only have a select few here. I read about tips such as going to a bar or joining a club but i dont think there are any bars in my town and also i havnt seen any clubs i doubt there would be one in English. I even tried looking for friends on QQ, i found the male population to simply decline my friend requests and whilst most of the females accept they make little conversation, often speak little to no English and also dont seem very eager to hang out. I wondered if anybody had any tips relating to this, I am considering taking my search to central Shanghai at this rate because I have had very little luck in my pursuit for friendship and find it rather disheartening. Albeit it has only been a few weeks I am eager for tips and advice from people?

Many thanks

John

Return to Index › Making new friends in China?

Go to another board -