TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Can I teach English?
#1 Parent Raoul F. Duke - 2011-10-16
Re: Can I teach English?

Sorry...your recording is so muddy I can barely make out your speech at all, much less understand or evaluate it.
Your writing is good, anyway, and there's much to be said for that. ;-{)

Be aware that Japan generally has higher standards for teachers than are required in other East Asian countries, such as China. You'll definitely need a college degree. And being a non-native speaker, you'll likely need a CELTA or other recognized certification (NOT just a garden-variety "TESOL certificate") showing that you are indeed qualified to teach English. The managers at Japanese English schools may not be able to themselves evaluate your spoken English...but they'll definitely know how to evaluate a resume.

#2 Parent Contributor - 2011-10-10
Re: Can I teach English?

Federation of Saint Kitts and Nevi

wanttoteachenglish - 2011-10-09
Can I teach English?

Hello, I am thinking of teaching English in Japan for a year or two. I have never been out of my country before, and I have heard some people comment that our accents can be quite difficult to follow. Obviously there are many vastly different accents in my country but I was just wondering if the average native English speaker outside my country can understand my speech easily.

So I decided to conduct a small experiment. I recorded myself reading a news article off the internet and would like to ask you if you can understand my speech easily. Also, would you care to hazard a guess which country I am from? This will let me know if my accent is close to neutral or very 'local'. Many thanks, I appreciate your comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B36A9e1cOKE&feature=player_embedded

Return to Index › Can I teach English?

Go to another board -