TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Is there such thing as a China Blacklist.
#1 Parent Raoul F. Duke - 2011-10-18
Re: Is there such thing as a China Blacklist.

To me, Suzhou is a great balance...there's some expat scene, fer sure, but there's also plenty of genuine Chinese culture going on here.
It's not too big (nerve-wracking) or too small (boring).

I'd imagine the women in your place have an appalling entitlement mentality.

Oh, one sees some of that these days, but this is really more identified with Shanghai women. Suzhou still has plenty of nice small-town girls.

And if I want someone to come in and work, I'll hire an ayi. ;-{D

#2 Parent San Migs - 2011-10-17

But then, I love Suzhou

Horses for courses. Personally, don't think it would be my cup of chai.

A smaller second tier town, that is not too big like Changsha or Nanchang, is better.

I'd imagine the women in your place have an appalling entitlement mentality.

#3 Parent Raoul F. Duke - 2011-10-17

The thing is the teachers with real degrees are far smaller in number than those with forged or no degrees at all.

I don't agree with this...with all due respect. May have been true in the past at some point, but don't think it has been true for quite a while.
The number of teachers with Education degrees and real teaching accreditation is a small number, but as far as I can tell the overwhelming majority of those currently working in China have some kind of college degree. It's just gotten too hard to work without one.

But then, I love Suzhou (not sure how that got into this discussion...?). Someone on here somewhere put it down as "backpacker central"; I would submit that person has no real idea what they're talking about.
But that's just me. ;-{)

#4 Parent Raoul F. Duke - 2011-10-17

Sadly, such schools are most definitely above telling would-be teachers that it's fine to work for them without a Residence Permit.

Whoops! Sorry, I meant to say they're NOT above telling would-be teachers that it's fine to work for them without a Residence Permit. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea plurimus gravis culpa.
#5 Parent San Migs - 2011-10-16

Interesting post. And thanks for all your feedback.

The thing is the teachers with real degrees are far smaller in number than those with forged or no degrees at all.

Until that changes, things won't ever really change.

I would personally avoid places like Suzhou anyway...but that is just me!

Happy teaching,
SMGS

#6 Parent Raoul F. Duke - 2011-10-16

What about those FT's who don't have degrees, or relevant ones, aren't they employed "somehow"?

Not like they used to be.
It used to be pretty easy to talk one's way to a Residence Permit without a college degree.
No more. In most places the Labor Bureau won't issue a Work Permit for teaching without a degree...and without a Work Permit, you can't get a Residence Permit. Without a Residence Permit, you're an illegal foreign worker in China.

This has meant that a lot of people without degrees no longer have the option of legally teaching in China. I hate the pain this has caused people, but it's now the law...and for once, the Chinese authorities seem to be actually enforcing a low. I certainly won't argue that people without degrees can't be good teachers- I've seen it happen many times- but on the other hand requiring teachers to have a college degree doesn't really seem like an unreasonable thing to ask.

About the only schools hiring teachers without degrees are those who don't have licenses to hire foreign workers...in most places you have to be in business for a year before you can get such a license. These schools tend to be really desperate, because without foreign teachers they can't attract as many students or charge a premium tuition fee. Sadly, such schools are most definitely above telling would-be teachers that it's fine to work for them without a Residence Permit. Even sadder, quite a number of expats fall for this lie.

It's NOT fine to work in China, for a Chinese company, without a Residence Permit...no matter what anyone may tell you. Yeah, some people get away with it, but increasing numbers of people do not. All it takes is one cop in a bad mood to bring everything crashing down on you. Working without a Residence Permit is a CRIME in China. So is working for an unlicensed school, whether you know about that or not. Doing these things exposes you to the general litany of punishment China can mete out to foreigners: heavy fines, possible detention, probable deportation, and forcible sodomy.
Well, OK, maybe not that last one. But you may end up feeling like it happened...

So yeah...working illegally in China is not a smart thing to do. Be legal, or be gone!

#7 Parent San Migs - 2011-10-15

And teaching in China without a residence permit is a really silly thing to do.

Care to elaborate further?

What about those FT's who don't have degrees, or relevant ones, aren't they employed "somehow"?

Cheers and beers on,
SMGS

#8 Parent Raoul F. Duke - 2011-10-15

There is a blacklist among English schools, has been for a long time. However, it doesn't seem to have ever had much use, and seems confined to a pretty small group, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Turnoi is on the nosey. If you "pull a runner" and can't get a release letter, you will be back at square one regarding your residence permit...you'll have to start that process over again. And teaching in China without a residence permit is a really silly thing to do.

The fine he mentions IMHO mainly exists to give schools a justification for keeping whatever salary or benefits you may have accrued. I don't think many people have ever had to pay more, but it is certainly possible. This is one reason I generally advise people that if they run (and running should only be done as a last resort, but I recognize there are times when running is the only choice left...) then it's best to go to a different province, putting you out of the reach of most people. Shanghai is big, but not necessarily big enough for you to hide in.

Luke Hirst - 2011-10-13
Is there such thing as a China Blacklist.

Hi All

I have recently been working in Shanghai City and I have come under some issues with where I am working at the moment. I want to look for another job and move to a better place but when I mentioned this to a friend he said that if I decided to leave my place of work without a significant period of notice (i.e walk out) then I would be imidiatly be blacklisted by my school and thus I could never work in China again. This seemed a little extreme so I wanted to ask you guys here, is there any truth in that and how much flexibility do I have when working in China. I know it wouldn't be difficult to find a job here, especially as I am over here now.

Thanks in advance

Luke

Return to Index › Is there such thing as a China Blacklist.

Go to another board -