TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Do Chinese schools pay for airfare in advance?
#1 Parent Raoul F. Duke - 2011-11-07
Re: Do Chinese schools pay for airfare in advance?

This just ain't gonna happen. Chinese schools will reimburse some airfare, if you're lucky, but no way they'll ever advance it.
If you saw the number of hired foreign teachers who pull a no-show, you'd understand a big part of why...

Bear in mind that when coming to China, you're going to need more than just airfare. Even with school housing, you're going to need some money for personal household items. You're also going to need money for food, transportation, and so forth to get you by until your first payday...which can be as much as a month after you start working. Then there's always the odd chance that things don't work out and you need to either move or return home...and live until that's completed.

Don't come to China in a hurry or on a shoestring. Do it righteous or don't do it at all.

#2 Parent San Migs - 2011-11-06
Re: Do Chinese schools pay for airfare in advance?

No they do not!

You will get however a sum of money on completion of 1 year contract at most, if not all, public jobs. This should be enough to offset your flight costs, and is actually a legal requirement so you don't end up homeless in China at the end of your contract. Some places refuse to pay, be wary. Pays to have your own open return ticket out///

Good luck

JosephG - 2011-11-05
Do Chinese schools pay for airfare in advance?

I've wanted to teach for years. I finally got my TEFL. I worked minimum wage for ten years. Now I'm unemployed.

Do Chinese or Taiwanese schools ever pay for airfare in advance? I have tried to get a job in Korea but I need a new background check due to their legal system. Some hagwons pay in advance but right now I need a job and fast. Does "airfare allowance" mean they pay up front? I've asked a few schools so far but have not received a response. I cannot afford airfare. I have all of the requirements: BA in English, TEFL cert from ITTT, passport, certified degree copy with apostille, and no money left. Does anyone have any advice? I would appreciate it.

Return to Index › Do Chinese schools pay for airfare in advance?

Go to another board -