TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: CUFLI, The Ole Bait & Switch Scam?
#1 Parent Chengdu FT - 2011-11-14
Re: CUFLI, The Ole Bait & Switch Scam?

Sunny at Sunny's English Club? I don't recomend it. Just met a guy she shipped off to 8 hours outside of Chengdu. He is on 4500RMB a month for nights and weekends.

All that can be said about Sunny is that she can actually get visa's. However, that is a double edged sword. Your legal, but you have just sold your soul and she is not going to let you out of her employment.

If you are desperate enough to deal with Sunny, speak to Irene at New Times International. She does some agency work, but I would call her more of a contractor. She has contracts with seperate schools around Chengdu and sends teachers out. I would not really recommend her either, but think that she is a bit better than Sunny. I have know a half dozen people that have worked for her over the years (she has been in business since 99 or 98) and have never heard of anyone getting stuffed on their money. Of course the money isn't great and most of the jobs are total monkey work. Look for other posts.

#2 Parent Raoul F. Duke - 2011-11-07

Agencies like CUFLI should only be contacted by those of us who have had no positive results from our jobseeking.

I'd suggest not even then. Maybe even especially not then...being seen as vulnerable or rushed is an invitation to disaster.
Grabbing at something you KNOW is probably going to be dodgy is never a real solution....

#3 Parent fpxy - 2011-11-03

Agencies like CUFLI should only be contacted by those of us who have had no positive results from our jobseeking. Definitely CUFLI is a last resort.
And Chongqing is one of China's ovens. Give that city a miss.

#4 Parent Shaun - 2011-11-03

If you must work in Sichuan, and you find it impossible to get a job offer there, try Sunny's English Club of Chengdu first. She's a meanie too, but not nearly as stingy and wily as CUFLI. As a rule, Chengdu agents are among the meanest in China. Take it from me.

#5 Parent Seth - 2011-11-03

I worked for CUFLI a few years back when I was 19. At that age CUFLI was the only people who were willing to employ me. Things were definitively shaky at first but I was determined to do my best. I was very warmly welcomed and they sent me on interviews at once (seeing as they fist needed the schools approval before the teacher is hired, CUFLI did explain this to me). From there i was sent back and forth teaching odd classes here and there. I finaly started teaching at a public middle school for a while which was terrible mainly because of unruly children not wanting to learn English but rather expected some one like Chuck Norris instead! From there i chose to teach kindergarten , which i loved and taught many VIP students individually. Here is what i will lay it out for all of you : in any such situation you get the good, the bad and the ugly. The bad- You really are just a money making machine in their eyes as all companies are! The housing is Crap, pay is low/(no basic salary is paid as you are paid hourly for the classes you teach)and they drag you around like a dog on a leash. The ugly - Never trust anyone and whatever they tell you is only that they may take advantage of you ! They will ask you to lie for them some or other time. THE GOOD - They make an effort to get you hired at a school which you like and whom likes you. The always pay on time. They will always organize you accomodation no matter how crummy it might seem. They give you a dedicated PA (whom you may not always like or trust ) who will look after you in cases of emergency.Easily grant you a working visa. They have some great teachers working for them who are always ready to give a helping hand. There are a few details i have not mentioned but you are welcome to ask me out on anything else you would want to know. The point is almost all these companies are the same such as CUFLI so get your facts straight and know what you are getting in to! Do your research and make sure you know what's in the contract and change it if your not happy before you even consider employment . And Always have a plan B!

#6 Parent Cageygirl - 2010-05-02

BTW, did you have a signed contract mailed to you before coming to China? If yes, they could not do the things you have reported. Newbies are well advised to insist on that before they get involved at all and travel a long way to China to only find out that the place they have signed up with is totally crap, and that they have wasted their time and their money.

Yup, the ole bait and switch scam - as old as the hills here in China, and still used to this day to dupe newbies and old hands who are too trusting!
I think this CUFLI outfit is a private training center of some kind. Another forum that accepts their adverts for foreign teachers has deleted some negative posts re them in the past, presumably at the owners' request.
Go there at your own peril! If you decide to go, please don't hesitate to let us know what it's like working for them.

Return to Index › Re: CUFLI, The Ole Bait & Switch Scam?

Go to another board -