TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: re: doing the midnight run again?
#1 Parent Dragonized - 2011-12-02
Re: re: doing the midnight run again?

Hey I didn't see this post until now. I know for sure that this guy is on some power trip due to probably some mental issues. Get out of there ASAP!

#2 Parent San Migs - 2011-11-30

Whatever the case get him to back off or if he doesn't then you're in a toxic work environment. You should leave as quickly as you can if that's the case.

@ Dragonized: It is rapidly becoming as you said. Because I sent him a stern email expressing my distaste at the way he handles things, he has now gone and made me public enemy number 1, so much so, that I can't trust any of my fellow colleagues or even dare to show any english video in class, as I will just be accused of showing movies, and not teaching.

He also went behind my back to the company that hired me, and I knew it had to be him, and yes trusting a recruiting company, foolish I know, so that now I am truly in a rock and a hard place scenario. If need be, the company that got me the job shall also be named.

I am now seeking a direct hire job only, as it will be less stressful. I also found out that as the chinese teachers use a textbook, they are not expected to prepare their own materials, and so most likely, don't have to submit a weekly plan...I also find this quite galling.

I will play his game of email him my lesson plan each week....but he shouldn't be surprised if I don't turn up for class one morning in the near future!

Love and light,
San Migs

#3 Parent Dragonized - 2011-11-29

I think in this case you need to show how foreign you actually are from a mentality point of view. You still have the option of just flat out telling him he is wrong to order you around like this and you don't appreciate it. I would back him into a corner until he throws up his hand and tells you it's just a "cultural misunderstanding". I think if he were dealing with people of different ethnic backgrounds he might be even more of a bully, which he sounds like he is anyway. He expects people to obey him in the end no matter what, with some it's expected more quickly and with others more slowly. Whatever the case get him to back off or if he doesn't then you're in a toxic work environment. You should leave as quickly as you can if that's the case.

#4 Parent San Migs - 2011-11-29

I don't think any FAO or "teaching co-ordinator" has the right to ask an FT to submit lesson plans. If the Chinese teachers don't have to submit one then why should an FT? It is just plain hypocrisy IMO.

I agree...to shed more light I definitely think national pride and confucian mentality is at stake.

I am a 35 year old british male, he is 39, Chinese and been a teacher for a good number of years. He is the FAO but I am not sure if he is responsible for co-ordinating my schedule and teaching.

I suspect it is a case of I am younger than him, and not Chinese, and thus outside of the confucian circles upon which Chinese society is based, so the more I defy him the more he pushes onto the stubborn younger "wai jiao".

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't find any other valid reason for it?

Return to Index › Re: re: doing the midnight run again?

Go to another board -