TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Newbie seeking advice
#1 Parent juanisaac - 2011-12-11
Re: Newbie seeking advice

The best material that will help you have some insight into teaching English in China is a 300 page free e-book on line from
www.middlekingdom.com It was written by a professor with a real doctorate degree and a man who currently owns a school.
Sections about what your actual job will be to navigating the medical system are covered, and everything in between. What I do is not so much education, but edutainment. The e-book will tell you more.
I hope this helps.

Pete - 2011-12-10
Newbie seeking advice

I am a former American attorney and business man who is interested in teaching English abroad. I responded to a Craigs List ad from Allestra Recruiting to teach in China or Korea.
I am not certified by CELTA, TESOL or TEFL and I'm new to all this. What attracted me to Allestra is that they said I did not have to be certified to teach.

I've read the critical comments about Allestra but none of them appear to be from anyone who has actually used them. My plan was to go teach and get an online
TESOL cert while I was there.

I've surfed the net about all this but I'd really like to hear from someone who has "been there, done that" and can give me advice, a sort of "if I was just starting out,
knowing what I know now, I would . . ."

Here are some answers I'm seeking:
1. Without a CELTA/TESOL/TEFL cert., where can I realistically teach right away?
2. What countries/cities would you recommend? What countries/cities would you NOT recommend?
3. What countries provide the best pay considering the cost of living?
4. Are there any specific recruiters or schools/employers you would recommend I contact?
5. Who would you recommend to get an online TESOL cert?
6. Are there any places you can teach AND get classroom TESOL cert in the same city?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated plus you'll get good kharma for helping someone, LOL.

Return to Index › Newbie seeking advice

Go to another board -