TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Teachings jobs if you're of Asian descent
#1 Parent Contributor - 2011-12-17
Re: Teachings jobs if you're of Asian descent

I'm have worked in the corporate world for a few years before deciding to go abroad.

Are you sure that you're a native English speaker?

Only joking! We all make typos from time-to-time.

Among the foreign teachers at the university where I currently teach (I am not willing to publicly reveal the university’s name) is a woman from the Philippines.

Chongqing University of Arts and Sciences employed a woman from India (who graduated from a New Zealand university) and an American Korean (native English speaker; American dad, Korean mother). In the photo on the university’s (English) website - http://www.admissions.cn/cqwu/ , the Indian woman is wearing a red top and the American-Korean is wearing a green top.

Guangdong Industry and Technical College, in Guangzhou, employed a man from the Philippines.

Zunyi Medical College in Zhuhai employed an Asian-looking native English speaker.

So, yes, it is possible for a suitably qualified Asian-looking person to find a reasonable teaching job in China

If you’re applying for jobs through recruiters / agencies, I’d hazard a guess that the recruiters / agencies are not even passing on your application and C.V. to schools.

Try applying direct to schools and universities; regardless of whether they have advertised any positions.

#2 Parent Dragonized - 2011-12-17
Re: Teachings jobs if you're of Asian descent

Bro, I know where you're coming from. My advice to you would be to ditch the idea of teaching in china all together before losing all good will towards this place, not that they deserve any from any well intentioned individuals in the first place. You should try getting a masters degree or higher and teach in the country where you are from. Visit china as a tourist. If you really want to try and teach overseas go to places in the middle east specifically in the gulf region like Oman, Qatar, and perhaps even the Emirates. Saudi Arabia has high salaries but also almost no freedom. Getting certified in primary, middle, or high school education in the state/province where you're from would also yield opportunity to make more than $1500 a month in Eastern Europe with certain companies. Of course a PH.D. will allow you to work in other developed countries.

The ESL world is filled with just as many crooks, criminals, and even mafia related people as there are in the world of business and politics. Education and Business aren't separated too well in places like china. Please understand what a cutthroat industry you're getting yourself into. This is coming from someone who has been through all of this working in three different countries. Take care.

twelveyearsafter - 2011-12-16
Teachings jobs if you're of Asian descent

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to find a teaching gig in China for a while now. I'm a native English speaker from one of the big-six but am part Asian. It's been tough trying to find work. I have a bachelor's degree, TESL certificate and have tutored/worked with small groups teaching basic math and remedial English. I've applied to many, many places without a response. I'm have worked in the corporate world for a few years before deciding to go abroad.

I've been told that my main problem is that I'm not Caucasian. I've read through several forums and am aware that it's hard but not impossible to find work.

Anyone have any leads on decent jobs - if you're not Caucasian? The only places that have offered positions were...how shall I say...sketchy language mills?

Return to Index › Teachings jobs if you're of Asian descent

Go to another board -