TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Teaching in Bangkok - ESL discussion
#1 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-05-31
Some of my 'Other' problems here - ESL discussion

Motivational problems are only a symptom at my school, really. There are two or three root problems that have caused the proficiency problems I've 'inherited'.

1. My students are segregated by age, not ability.
Proficiency is all over the place as a result. In every single class I have (21 in a school with 520 students) I see this. Proficiency is wildly variable here because students can rely so much on cheating. Most have cheated their way through the years, and now are not able to perform. I believe cheating has even increased in my classes since I've been here. This is because I've been so insistent on moving the proficient ones forward....which leaves the 'unlearned' farther and farther behind.

2. My classes are far too large. Many of my classes are over 35+ number-wise. Two are over 40, and one of those approaches 50. Methods I used in my teacher training simply don't work in such large classes. Combine this with #1 above and you get a lot of disinterested students not doing work, not speaking, and not listening. Another words, they simply don't cooperate...period.

3. 'Gifted' students and students with an aptitude for English are penalized, while the 'unlearned' students, learning disabled, and students who don't have the aptitude are 'rewarded'. These students are never 'forced' to perform, which means they would have to practice outside of class. If I could separate my gifted students from the slackers/cheaters/disabled, I might be able to get the gifted to a decent level of proficiency. But I can never do that, so the gifted are all bogged down in classes that have to cater to misfiring, uninterested students' needs. All parties lose in this situation....I lose, the gifted students lose, and the slackers/disabled students lose.

Thailand has a LONG way to go to solve these problems. I'm not waiting on it to solve them. I'm going elsewhere to teach.

#2 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-05-28
No third -person yet - ESL discussion

I ask my students to talk TO each other, not ABOUT anyone else. This is why my example has only four combinations instead of 25.

We'll move into third person after the invention phase.

#3 Parent jinchafa - 2005-05-28
Re: Much appreciated - ESL discussion

Thank you Yingwen Laoshi. It's nice to feel appreciated. Yeah, writing your own dialogues can be fun and can free your creative spirit - if indeed it is locked up somewhere.

Thank you also for the wishes regarding my return to the middle school. I miss them and still think of them as "my kids." Interestingly,I felt it would be meaningful and maybe more of a challenge to teach at a college or university.I have prior experience with international students and adult immigrants in the States and also worked as a private and small group tutor near Beijing with university students, so I wasn't prepared to see such an absence of interest. I feel sorry for the 20% of the students who are truly motivated because I can't give them the attention they truly deserve.

And yes, I too like the idea of dialogue building. I may even try it with my not so motivated college students. Good one Rheno!

#4 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-05-27
An example of my own D-B - ESL discussion

Yingwen, don't even THINK you're being a 'pain' when you ask for advice.

The last two weeks, I've been working on pronouns in all my classes. During the 'beginning phase', I have first explained, using examples, English pronouns/adjectives/nouns/verbs.

During the 'intermediate stage' I've given them the short-answer HOs, which they've completed while referring to their notes taken during the beginning phase. After they finish filling in the blanks, and after I've corrected their work, I've divided them into groups and have them recite what they've written/corrected.

Here's an example of the intermediate
stage of my own 'dialogue building'. I hope it comes out in the post like it's supposed to. Remember
this--anything that is in parentheses is a clue and is supposed to be directly under a line. Students fill in each lines using its underlying clue.

_________________________ call
(Singular Subject Pronoun)
______________________________ mom every Saturday.
(Singular Possessive Adjective)

This is great practice to teach them 'POV' as well as the use of pronouns, not to mention 'logical progression'. There are two possible answers for each blank in this example (four combinations), so there is a lot of leeway. Also, in my HOs, I've written in a logical 'flow' that 'limits' possiblities. I hope my students have realized this during this exercise.

Next week I'll begin the 'invention phase' by asking them to invent their own three-word and four-word sentences using subject pronouns, action verbs, and adjectives/pronouns with some nouns. This task will fit the same pattern as the short-answer exercise, so my students should have no trouble. I'll see if my students have caught on to both pronouns and logical 'flow' when they create their own writings.

After they've finished the 'invention' phase, I'll have them recite their creations in groups to practice speaking and listening.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

RT

#5 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2005-05-27
Much appreciated, guys! - ESL discussion

Thanks for the feedback guys,it's truly appreciated!

Jinchafa.

I understand your point about rich and poor kids.

My previous middle school in a small town in West China was a lot poorer than the private one I'm in now.

Here the students live on campus and the town is rich and prosperous so you can imagine how well off their parents are!

So,like you in my previous school I generally found the children easier to teach even though I also often had about seventy to a class!

Whenever I've used dialogues in my classes,they've usually been quite staid affairs with me usually copying out of a textbook.Sometimes I've adapted the dialogues a little, but your idea of writing my own and having up to four students involved at once sounds interesting.
I wish you all the best back at your previous middle school!

Thanks!

RT

Your imaginative dialogues appeal to me as well.
When you get them to create their own dialogues do you get them to write them down first?

With the dialogues with blanks do you mean for example you might have two people talking but the second persons speech is blanked out,and the students have to improvise?

Sorry if I'm a pain in the butt,but a few more details would be truely appreciated!

I hope it works out well for you in Korea!

Thanks!

Elephant you are a TRUE Elephant because you have GIANT vision and ideas!I intend to do some research into language labs.Maybe I may find a school in the future that could provide such a facility!

I'm going to have a crack at the above suggestions! I think any failure would be only due to my own incompetence!

Cheers,guys!If I could buy you all a beer I would!

#6 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-05-26
Bozo don't work here - ESL discussion

Here's a serious reality check for you, my friend:

There are more ways to motivate students than just playing Bozo the Clown. You can jump around and act like a fool all you want in your own classes. I'll come behind you later and test your kids to see where they stand. I'm sure I won't be impressed with their proficiency.

I'll try other approaches. This is Asia, not Vegas.

RT

#7 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-05-26
Dialogue-building works - ESL discussion

I've started using 'dialogue building' in my own classes. So far, I'm finding it works.

I start off 'building' dialogues by laying a foundation of easy verbs and nouns. This means my Thai students use their E-T dictionaries (yeap, they work at it--I make sure they do) to build vocab. I then move to grammar and phonolgy, written on whiteboards first and then spoken, first by me and then by my students.

After this, I develop simple written dialogue exercises for which my students write short-answers in blanks. To make completion easier, I put 'clues' under each blank. Usually my students come through with minimal cheating after only a few tries.

Finally, I get them into random groups and have them create their own dialogues. Only a few of the most stubborn students won't cooperate, but most of most of my students not only perform successfully, but of them like it. And they actually learn. Dialogue building works. I've seen it work. I just hope it keeps working.

I hope this helps.

RT

#8 Parent Elephant - 2005-05-26
You don't HAVE to be Bozo.... - ESL discussion

You've been teaching in South Korea for six years and you STILL buy into that Bozo baloney? Come on. Only hard work by your students will really get them fluent. I know from experience Bozo won't get them fluent. Sure, Bozo will get them part of the way to fluency. This means they'll be just fluent enough to be exploitable in sweatshops. Bozo is just a
'band-aid' approach that has been passed off as a viable method to motivate students in the classroom. Fling this idea over the cliff where it belongs. Banish it from your classroom.

Let me suggest another way, my TEFL brother.

SET UP A LANGUAGE LAB AT YOUR SCHOOL.

You teach in South Korea, so you should be able to secure SOME funding at least. Ask your director for a small budget and do it up.

I'm in the planning and testing stages of my own LL, and so far it's a been a TON of fun, both for me and my students. I truly believe this is the way to a new approach in TEFL. There are all kinds of ideas out there floating around on the net. Go surfing. With the things you can easily aquire these days on the net, I guarantee you can design the perfect LL for your learners--and they'll love it.

Based on my students' reactions so far, when I get my project up and running full-steam, I'll rely on the lab more to teach my brats than my classroom.

You're not in Asia to be an entertainer. Open up a lab and let your students entertain themselves.

E

#9 Parent Elephant - 2005-05-26
Ppssttt......Over here. Yeah, you. - ESL discussion

I just read your post. Here's a piece of advice that may solve your students' motivation problems:

Start a language lab.

#10 Parent jinchafa - 2005-05-26
Re: What's the alternative? - ESL discussion

My experience with middle school students has fortunately been opposite to that of yours. I've had quite a lot of experience teaching in China also, and to be honest I've found the middle school children to be the most responsive. For example, I'm teaching at a private business college right now where only about 20% of the students will benefit by my teaching. The rest are completely without motivation or too tired from playing video games all night long. The little emperor and empress syndrome is rearing its ugly head in this situation. Mommy, Daddy, and Grandma and Grandpa have spoiled them so much that the concept of work of any kind is way over their heads.

Which brings me back to the middle school - literally actually because I will return soon to the same school. Those kids are largely from poor families and if they themselves lack the motivation to study, their parents will give it to them in the form of an ass kicking. So, my assumption is that the middle schools you've taught at have been in fairly affluent areas.

Now, as for my advice, I suggest a lot of dialogue work. Write interesting and relevant dialogues for your students to memorize. Remind them often that they will be tested after a certain amount of time and that their parents will see the results of their tests.(I grade their oral presentations on 4 different criteria.)These can be two person or three or even four person dialogues, but I wouldn't go beyond that or things can too easily get out of hand. The brighter students will spice up the dialogues on their own. The slower ones will try to keep it pretty simple.

Dialogues work especially well in large classes like mine. I had an average of 70 students in 9 different classes. Yeah, that's about 650 students to deal with, and as you can imagine it's a little difficult to personalize things with that many students. But with dialogues you can make the learning a little more real and personal.

As for charm, that's a whole other story. You're probably getting a little burned out after being here so long, but I'd guess that you're basically a charming person with many talents that you've set aside. Don't forget the performer that's inside of you and that you probably used to use quite effectively in your classes. I use juggling in my classes and because I've got the balls right there I use them in a variety of ways to liven things up. As you know, the attention span of young learners is not very long. I find that when I notice things bogging down if I engage the students in a friendly game of catch or show off a few tricks, everyone wakes up and in no time we can get back on track. However, I don't buy into the Bozo concept either. I probably wouldn't make it as a middle school teacher in Thailand; I'm just too serious of a guy for that.

But please remember that dialogues can go a long way as a learning tool. They are effective not just for introducing new vocabulary and language points, but also perfectly suited for pronunciation practice. Mix it up a lot by not just having students do the dialogue work - give everyone the opportunity to "perform" with you the teacher. This gives you lots of opportunity to model the language, thereby reducing the necessity of correcting pronunciation.

Good luck!

#11 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-05-26
Like it or not, I'm in - ESL discussion

I'm in, dude. and I won't be playing Bozo. Bozo don't work where I will be working.

#12 Parent Yobosayo - 2005-05-25
Yeah - ESL discussion

Yeah, you probably know more about teaching in Korea than I do given that you have yet to work one day in Korea and I've worked in the Land of the Morning Calm for six years.

Makes sense to me, dude.

#13 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2005-05-25
Whats the alternative? - ESL discussion

> I already know what awaits. I've talked to my new boss and told him
> that he's not getting somebody who buys into the notion students have
> to be charmed. He's good with it. Playing Bozo doesn't work that well
> anyway. Students at my school have gotten 'Bozo' treatment for years
> and still don't know jack. Bozo will get them a job on Koh Sarn Road
> in Bangkok selling cheap trinkets to tightwad backpackers. That's
> about it.

I agree with you that the 'Bozo' treatment won't help students much,but I'd like to know how it's possible to get students to study seriously without an element of charm.

I admit many native Chinese teachers(although by no means all), seem to be able to get their students to knuckle down well without acting the fool in class.

I often sneak a look through the windows of their classrooms as I'm passing and for the most part see the students silent with their heads buried in their textbooks all 'apparently' focused.

I've also noticed a few factors that make it a lot harder for us 'expats'.

Firstly in my nearly three years teaching ESL in China in only one school out of six where I've taught children, has it been necessary for me to give the students exams.

Even that was a farce because It was inferred that EVERYONE had to pass,including the three boys who turned up ten minutes before the exam ended,two claiming that they had to take their friend to the hospital. Sigh!

I even remember an expat teacher mentioning somewhere that a local native teacher told his students not to take the expats classes seriously because nothing hinged on it,(probably no exams of any relevance).

What the hell is going to motivate my average Chinese Middle School student?Any exams I give would be voluntary and have absolutely no bearing on their future. They're not even required!

How useful will English be to most of them anyway unless they plan to one day live in the West?Even for the few that do that's not likely to happen for a good few years!At the moment most of them don't even plan further ahead than tomorrow,unless it happens to be a holiday.

Unless they learn to speak English exeptionally well it won't be a lot of use in their native country when you consider that virtually all their millions of peers up and down this vast country are learning (or should I say are being exposed) to English too.

They also have far to many classes,in my school seven days a week from before seven in the morning until after eight in the evening.
So what are they thinking as they turn up for the foreign teachers class?Let's be honest most of them think of it as a rest period,a break,an opportunity to take it easy.

Nearly every one of my classes begins with at least half a dozen (and often more)students out of a class of thirty catching up on other work as I introduce the topic of the day.
There's nothing more irritating, but who's to blame, the students,the school or the system? I've been blamed in the past for this myself. When I was teaching in a private school in Beijing they said you should make your classes more interesting!
Yeah I thought like most of the native Chinese, teach very interesting exciting lessons!

That brings me on to another problem in China namely the teaching system.

The children are just not taught how to use their brains here.They are not taught to STUDY when they have English with the local teachers.

They are just spoon fed translations of everything they're taught so when they turn up for our classes and they're asked a simple question,its either a case of them repeating it parrot fashion or a scratching of heads and a chorus of 'ting bu dong!'.

Have you tried getting them to simply stand up for an activity(I mean the WHOLE class together).I'm beginning to think I'll have to tell them a week in advance to prepare for it ,because that simple task(just to stand up) often seems difficult and seems to take about half of the lesson to accomplish!They're just not used to doing this in their other classes.

So where does that leave me with when I begin my average ESL class in the school where I teach?

Well,for the most part I have tired,overworked,unmotivated,often brain dead automatons,who have not been taught to think,or use their brains properly,and who can see no good reason for exerting themselves in my classroom!

Now enter myself assigned to teach them ORAL English and LISTENING,something that more than anything else requires that they use their brains,because if not you're just left with the mind -numbing Chinese rote system(and I hear many foriegn teachers saying oral English is easy and anybody can do it).Lol!On the contrary I think with the average child student in China it is the HARDEST to teach! The salaries for this work should be higher!

So what do I do instead of going outside to scream and tear out my hair!

For the life of me I can't see how I'm going to get anywhere without CHARM.If people don't want to do something either they can't do it or don't want to do it.So is playing the Sergant Major going to work?
That's only enough to keep order, but it's not enough to make them study.

Could somebody tell me something that can work better than charm,in these circumstances.I would really like to hear it!

#14 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-05-25
I know what awaits - ESL discussion

I already know what awaits. I've talked to my new boss and told him that he's not getting somebody who buys into the notion students have to be charmed. He's good with it. Playing Bozo doesn't work that well anyway. Students at my school have gotten 'Bozo' treatment for years and still don't know jack. Bozo will get them a job on Koh Sarn Road in Bangkok selling cheap trinkets to tightwad backpackers. That's about it.

#15 Parent SiamSap - 2005-05-25
I know where you're coming from - ESL discussion

I've heard kids up South Korea way are much more serious in the classroom than they are where I am in Thailand. Maybe I should run and forget the rest of my contract. As far as money goes, when I finish up here in Thailand, I will be about 1500 USD ahead of where I was one year ago. Mind you, I've subtracted the cost of my TESOL course, air fare to BKK, airfare back to the US, and various 'unavoidable' expenses here, such as food when the mess hall has been closed during breaks (for over two months during summer break), from my salary. If I would have lived like a hermit all this time and starved for two months, I STILL would have been only about 2500 USD ahead. If I were paying for rent and for food at my school, I think I may be finishing up in the RED when I'm done.

I need to get someplace where I can make some good money teaching for a change. Thailand ain't it.

SiamSap

#16 Parent Yobosayo - 2005-05-24
Good One - ESL discussion

If you think you will not encounter in Korea what you seemed to hate in Thailand, you have a serious reality check awaiting you not too long following your arrival at Incheon:

"I didn't come to Asia to act like Bozo the Clown in the classroom no matter what I'm being paid."

#17 Parent Elephant - 2005-05-24
First check CMU, and then BKK Universities - ESL discussion

Given your experience and credentials, you should consider teaching at a Thailand university if you come here. I'm not familiar with pay rates at universities, but I think if you decided to teach in Thailand, you'd prefer teaching at a university to teaching at a high school or primary school. I teach English at a high school here and I don't like it. Understand I teach at a government 'country bumpkin' school and not in Bangkok. Bangkok might be better. I've never taught in Bangkok, but my students here cheat way too much for my liking, and my classes are too large and segregated by age, not ability.

I would highly recommend you look for a teaching job at Chiang Mai University. Chiang Mai is in the northern part of Thailand. I applied for a job there last October just for grins. Even though I was in only my first year of teaching and had only a bachelor's degree and a TESOL, I nearly got the job. I didn't have an MA, that is all that held me back. I wasn't wearing my 'job interview get up', either.

If and when you come to Bangkok, hop on an AirAsia flight to Chiang Mai and go see somebody in the English department at CMU. You'll probably prefer Chiang Mai over BKK anyway. It's cooler both literally and figuratively. There are lots of nice high schools up there if you want to teach at a high school, albeit the pay is rather low.

If you didn't land a job at CMU, there are plenty of universities in BKK you could look into after that.

Good luck.

E

#18 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-05-24
Advice on choosing a school - ESL discussion

You didn't mention how important pay is to you in your post. I assume it's not your main concern if you are considering Bangkok alongside Seoul. That's cool. There are many variables to address when choosing a new place to work.

I've not taught in Bangkok myself, but I HAVE looked at high schools in Bangkok during job searches. I've not looked at universities here, as I've not earned the MA yet.

Here is what I found, a guy who puts compensation first and foremost on his list, along with my advice on choosing a school if I were coming here to work for the first time.

Pay in Bangkok seems to be all over the board. Some jobs pay as low as 20,000 Baht with nothing included among the high schools where I've looked. I don't know why anyone would accept pay this low, but some do and it makes it harder for the rest of us to earn a decent salary. I've seen other jobs that pay upwards of 40K and come with free room and board and free food. I've even heard of guys making close to 50K in Bangkok if they gave private lessons on the side, everything included.

MY opinion is IF I had to pay for rent, meals, and utilities, I wouldn't accept a job that pays less than about 32,000 Baht out in the country, and would ask for even more if I were going to work in Bangkok proper.

If you get paid less than about 35K and you've gotta cover rent and so on, you'll spend the year just 'breaking even' in BKK. In other words, your income will just about equal those expenses along with the additional expenses such as movies, traveling, nice food, clothes et. al, you'll incur for the year.

After pulling a year out in the sticks in Lopburi making about 28K a month, I personally wouldn't ask for less than about 35K to sign the same contract for another year. I've learned. And if I were working in the big town, I wouldn't work for less than 40K, rent and food included, if I were teaching 22-25 hours a week and spending 8-12 hours per day at school planning lessons and just 'looking busy'
5 days of that week. But this is just me. Maybe pay isn't that important to you, Hunt. If it isn't, you'll be able to find a good job in Bangkok that'll make you happy, I'm sure.

If pay IS important to you, I'd go to Seoul. In SK, you will find jobs that will reimburse you for your airfare to get there, and you'll make a LOT more money each month to boot.

The students are a lot more serious in South Korea as well. Thai students are slackers, at least out in the sticks. They LOVE to cheat, and they demand their classes be nothing but 'fun and games'. In other words, you gotta charm 'em--substance be damned. If you are a serious teacher, I'd recommend you go to Seoul even if pay isn't an issue. Take it from me, a guy who's got his airline ticket to Incheon already packed away in his luggage. I didn't come to Asia to act like Bozo the Clown in the classroom no matter what I'm being paid. I'm also ready to start making at least some semi-serious money--something I've not done since I've been in Thailand.

Best of luck to you, Hunt. I hope this helps.

RhenoThai

Hunt Allen - 2005-05-24
Teaching in Bangkok - ESL discussion

I am a 60 year old individual, in excellent health, with over 10 years teaching experience, plus curriculum development experience and administration experience. I have taught at the university level, middle school level, adult education, and one year of esl experience in conversation english for adult army officers in Taiwan. I am very interested in teaching in Bangkok. I have a Masters Degree in Education also.

I have been offered teaching positions in South Korea, Kuwait, and Taiwan. I know the salaries and benefits of teaching there, but do not know how these compare to those of the Bangkok schools. I am told that there is lots of latitude and that each case is different. The problem is that I do not know the names and addresses of any of the schools there to contact. If anyone has information they can share with me, I would appreciate it.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Hunt Allen

Return to Index › Teaching in Bangkok - ESL discussion

Go to another board -