TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: the Neil Heywood case
#1 Parent cunning lnguist - 2012-04-18
Re: the Neil Heywood case

Expat’s blackmail threat leads to his murder (?)

This is not a headline that has appeared so far in the Neil Heywood case. But newspaper reports and unconfirmed sources are stating that a money laundering operation is at the heart of the murder, with the late Mr. Heywood as the “fixer” for Bo Xilai's wife Gu Kailai. It would not surprise me if this angle, of a disagreement about percentages to be paid for the transaction, is the next in detail story to hit the headlines. Yet it could be just gossip.

Current Foreign Secretary and First Secretary of State, William Hague stated:

"We now wish to see the conclusion of a full investigation that observes due process, is free from political interference, exposes the truth behind this tragic case, and ensures that justice is done."

Although purges - or “political interference” in Hague speak - were common in Mao’s time, current policy seems not to give severe sentences to politburo members. This would explain Bo Xilai’s suspension on allegations of "serious discipline violations". Presumably this includes the alleged womanizing with whores, CCTV presenters and celebrities?

Personally I feel Hague’s statement may become a hostage to fortune, but it will subdue partly the MPs who are clamouring for chapter and verse on the role of UK officials in China and in the UK.

So how will this play out? I wonder will Cameron or Hague make any comment if a death sentence is the verdict, thus ensuring “that justice is done.” If the death sentence is the outcome, is it probable that it will be the orderly Zhang Xiaojun who will be executed? Or will it extend to Ms Gu?

It would seem to be rank hypocrisy for the UK to condemn China, as it has in the past, for the number of executions carried out, and then say nothing. Expect something like “China is a sovereign nation and its laws are for China to implement”, because after all this is a Chinese national(s) and not a British citizen who will be subject to the penalty.

In the face of Western criticism of the crimes for which the ultimate penalty was given, last year China did reduce the number of economic crimes that merited the death sentence. However, there is clearly a lot of dirty money involved here and if the unconfirmed reports turn out to be true, then the late Mr. Heywood is not blemish-free.

Another 'report' stated that Mr Bo’s salary was about $300 a month. No, I haven’t missed off any noughts, but if it is true that top-ranking officials earn so little, it shouldn’t surprise us that these officials will be into other deals (legal and illegal) to supplement this meagre income. It’s less than an FT earns!

What will happen to former Chongqing police chief Wang Lijun, who it is alleged cleaned up parts of the city and got confessions through torture, including it is also alleged, the torturing of his own police officers who would not follow his orders? Or is this part of the character assasination that will be applied to all the characters who split the Party?

Why didn’t the British official(s) who were present at the cremation ask for a post-mortem report?

Why are the staff at the hotel where Mr Heywood met his end now claiming this week that their records only go back a month? Are they stupid? Or is this just the media not getting any information and making it up?' How will the judiciary be able to prove he was even at the hotel, that we are also informed has closed circuit TV? And in China the country that almost invented bureaucracy? This is what is normally referred to as “closing ranks”, if it turns out to be accurate.

At a time when both Mr. Heywood’s family in China and the UK want honest answers and closure, such conjecture does not help. But this story will run its course in mainstream and state media, each putting its own spin on the details as there remain so many unanswered questions. Strange how many respectable Western newspapers were saying last year how this new style of politics as shown by Mr Bo, was a welcome change from the dour suits in the Beijing office.

My sympathies are with Mr Heywood’s Chinese wife and two children – what an ordeal.

#2 Parent San Migs - 2012-04-15
Re: Motives for the murder of Mr. Neil Heywood

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/9205250/Neil-Heywood-poisoned-by-cyanide-drops-in-China.html

Blocked from google news links, but as this has now took a more serious turn, your thoughts? It is pretty obvious this was planned, right?

Cheers and beers EG,

San MIGS

#3 Parent englishgibson - 2012-04-15
Motives for the murder of Mr. Neil Heywood

Regardless the sequences, here are some possible murder scenarios and motives with all due respect to innocent people as well as to deceased Mr. Heywood;
a) Bo as his family’s dirty business abroad, which Mr. Heywood brokered, could have compromised his ambitious plan
b) Bo as his wife’s love affair with Mr. Heywood made him jealous
c) Bo’s wife’s anger over Mr. Heywood’s unwillingness to divorce his wife
d) Bo’s wife’s anger over Mr. Heywood’s unwillingness to cooperate in business consultations
e) Local officials who were fed up with and worried about Bo wanted to frame him
f) Central government officials, who were fed up with and worried about Bo and who found out about Bo’s coup plans, thought that killing some chicken would’ve scared the monkey (foreign interference was assumed and framing well planned)
g) Close “inner circle” friends who were fed up with and worried about Bo
h) Local business people and/or perhaps competition who rightfully predicted Bo’s fall as well as the fall of shares at companies such as Everbright that would plunge quickly
i) Pressured local military that was scared about the consequences of Bo’s plans to overthrow the central government’s leadership planned to frame Bo ‘cause the choice of telling the truth was highly dangerous to them
j) A “Foundation Group” that set up scholarship funds for Chinese students for abroad studies thought it would have been compromised if Mr. Heywood spoke
k) British Secret Service which has treated Mr. Heywood as a liability

Understandably, some of the above options are as dull as they can be, but what matters to some may not matter to others. Would there be any other scenarios and motives? Which one will stand in the Peoples Republic’s court of law?

Condolences to all relative and friends of Mr. Heywood as well as their forgiveness for my assumptions on

#4 Parent Magister - 2012-04-15

In the end, I honestly do not believe we'll get the whole nine yards out of the investigation. I fear worse than that as people may only get a framed head symbolically instead of the guilty murderous dragon. The rest of the corrupt group of local officials may and will learn the lesson to stick together or face the consequences.

Very true.

As for the question you posed about the motives ......... On one hand i would agree. Why risk your career over one man? On the other hand it's difficult for us lowly teachers to comprehend how people in his position view the world. Power corrupts and money breeds greed and the Bo family wasn't short on either.

#5 Parent San Migs - 2012-04-14

Cash gifts of some really high amounts of money have been given to American or British unis before. Even if I am wrong, it's not such a bad long shot that Bo's family may have ticked some influential donors off.

I don't think you are wrong at all. I know of one British professor, who during my first year, got pissed at me because he wanted to protect his vested business interests in China, despite his proclaimations of being a leftie.

I would suspect these horrible dealings are far more common than we may know.

#6 Parent englishgibson - 2012-04-14

Bo's had some powerful enemies within the party. Wen Jiabao certainly is one of them. A while back when Bo was in Dalian, then President Jiang Zeming said; "I want his head" (aiming at Bo). However, the comrades on Bo's own side may have also motives and money is one of them. Supposedly, the man rises up, runs for Beijing's office, "pays his dues" and when it's discovered how much money he really has...

Let's ask ourselves the question; "How believable is it that a smart and powerful man, who is about to become much more powerful, destroys his life so carelessly and in fact idiotically?" It is ludicrous to insinuate Mr Heywood himself posed any danger to Mr Bo or his family, unless he really had an affair with his wife. Logic isn't popular in this country, although pushing the affair may prove to be a pretty darn good move by some party members.

The question about Bo's son's education that has been presented and his justification of scholarship for the western schooling is a high suspect. To my knowledge, funds for Chinese uni applicants' scholarships may have been set up by some highly powerful Chinese. Cash gifts of some really high amounts of money have been given to American or British unis before. Even if I am wrong, it's not such a bad long shot that Bo's family may have ticked some influential donors off.

In the end, I honestly do not believe we'll get the whole nine yards out of the investigation. I fear worse than that as peoples people may only get a framed head symbolically instead of the guilty murderous dragon. The rest of the corrupt group of local officials may and will learn the lesson to stick together or face the consequences.

Condolences to Mr Heywood's relatives and friends

#7 Parent Magister - 2012-04-13

If not framing then there is certainly a degree of political opportunism involved in the situation. As i stated in a previous post it was Wen Jiabao's speech stating that China didn't want a return to the cultural revolution that is seen by many as the beginning of the end for Mr Bo. There seems to be a general feeling now that Bo had gained a bit too much power from outside the current leadership and therefore if his rise to prominence continued then the vested interests of the current leadership would have been at stake. His policies and general political style are certainly more populist than the majority of Chinese leaders. Again this forms an independent power base, this time from the people themselves, which Beijing will not have been too happy with.

It certainly seems convenient for Bo's enemies that months before he was about to climb the next step of his political career this story breaks. I think it says a lot about how Chinese politics operates. I can't believe that Bo is the only high ranking politician to be involved with corruption, organised crime and possibly even murder yet so long as you play the game within the rules and pay your dues to those above you you'll be safe. The irony is (this is being pointed out by several Chinese netizens) that this sounds remarkably like the Cultural Revolution - swear loyalty to the party and to Mao or you will be destroyed.

#8 Parent englishgibson - 2012-04-13

Perhaps, Bo's family was framed by his "inner circle" as Mr Reed, who had dined with Mr Heywood days before the murder, said someone in had become suspicious of Mr Heywood's influence on Bo. There's a lot at stake in politburo now and sinking Bo may open a post and even make a few bucks for some others.

Return to Index › Re: the Neil Heywood case

Go to another board -