TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: On culture shock
#1 Parent San Migs - 2012-04-13
Re: On culture shock

they are very helpful and patient when you try out your new words

You are forgetting the I know you speak Chinese, so I will speak local unintelligible dialect to screw you over on a couple of bags of veggies gambit!

And yes, this does happen!

#2 Parent boxiangjiaopi - 2012-04-13

Hi,
I myself have never really had culture shock when working in far off lands. I have seen others with it and it does not look like a pleasant thing. I think that one of the best remedies is to go out and see where you are. Pack a small backpack, take plenty of water and enough money and just go and explore. I have seen some teachers become totally secluded and withdrawn due to culture shock. I pity them and I try to help them and include them in as many things as possible. The down side is that as I am sure many ESL teachers are aware, lots of schools have a hardcore click of teachers who totally ignore and exclude new teachers. Even now I still find it totally unacceptable and childish that 'adults' behave like this, and I am sorry to say that the main culprits seem to be the British teachers (I myself being English). Culture shock does not last, but from what I have seen it can be quite upsetting for those who experience it. Chin up and just remember it is not forever and once you establish yourself you will be as right as rain.

I really like FT's, they are far more interesting than their stay at home compatriots. However, I've seen some bad situation of FT's ganging up against a particular FT because he's a bit different. I suppose it's the need for a bow-legged monkey to make oneself look good.

I'm English, but those most affected by culture-shock, I've found to be Americans- I've taken a couple of young ladies from the colonies under my wing in China. I'm bound to say though on both occasions the main culprits were Chinese Training Centres, promising things before they arrived and not fulfilling those promises. Culture shock is often intensified by the actions and inactions of the Chinese themselves.

The food does not help, it tastes really bad. It's the unhealthiest grub in the world- drenched in oil, MSG ladled on with gay abandon. Special attention, rather, special avoidance, must be exercised with gravies, heavily fortified with Hepatitis A. I do all my own cooking in China. My own food doesn't taste too good either, but food as with music is not a priority for me, as long as it is healthy.

If one feels alone and unwanted, boil up some spuds and cabbage(you don't have to like it)get a bottle of baijiu and snuggle up with a good Teach Yourself Mandarin book and some corresponding CD's. Soon you can start getting out and talking to the locals, they are very helpful and patient when you try out your new words.

#3 Parent Dan Newton - 2012-04-12

Hi,

I myself have never really had culture shock when working in far off lands. I have seen others with it and it does not look like a pleasant thing. I think that one of the best remedies is to go out and see where you are. Pack a small backpack, take plenty of water and enough money and just go and explore. I have seen some teachers become totally secluded and withdrawn due to culture shock. I pity them and I try to help them and include them in as many things as possible. The down side is that as I am sure many ESL teachers are aware, lots of schools have a hardcore click of teachers who totally ignore and exclude new teachers. Even now I still find it totally unacceptable and childish that 'adults' behave like this, and I am sorry to say that the main culprits seem to be the British teachers (I myself being English). Culture shock does not last, but from what I have seen it can be quite upsetting for those who experience it. Chin up and just remember it is not forever and once you establish yourself you will be as right as rain.

Return to Index › Re: On culture shock

Go to another board -