TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › re: chinese students attacked in sydney
#1 Parent Rubadubadoobag - 2012-04-28
Re: re: chinese students attacked in sydney

[edited]

Rudd has done nothing but try to obscure the issue, by saying that its not a racial incident because other passengers were robbed. This of course completely ignores the fact that only the Chinese were assaulted and had tampons shoved in their mouths, and that the other passenger actually incited the robbers to attack them on racial grounds).

The Chinese Government, despite all its many faults, is not afraid to call a spade a spade. I dont think you'd find them pretending that the thugs were actually equal opportunity robbers in the unlikely event that white people were targeted solely on grounds of their race in China.*

*Besides which, this would never happen. Australian friends of mine who have visited China have reported that people are overwhelming friendly to them, often inviting them to share a meal etc. In most countries friendliness to strangers is the norm, and even where xenophobia raises its ugly head, you'll find that there are reasons for it (e.g. Australians might not be welcome in the Middle East because their government is effectively invading the region. Or they might be presumed to be rich in an African country). Only in your beloved Australia, and other Western countries, will you find hordes of racists willing to bash others solely because of the colour of their skin. No prizes for guessing why (for the dimwitted, its because they collectively share the same culture that gave us slavery, apartheid and the Holocaust).

#2 Parent San Migs - 2012-04-27

China supplies a lot of foreign students who all pay large amounts in tuition fees to foreign universities

True, but the real flipside of this is it means less places for students who are born in said country to study.

Also most won't pay any income tax, they simply don't play by or feign ignorance and pretend not to understand those rules, and send back home most of any earnings, while sharing a house and living cheaply.

This is wrong imho.

#3 Parent Magister - 2012-04-27

I wonder if in China, some foreigners were beaten, would an ex pm write in english on facebook or twitter that the issue will be investigated? Hmmmm.

It might sound a bit cynical but i'd imagine if there were enough interests at stake then, yes, China would make some sort of effort to lessen the effect of such an incident on those interests.

As noted in the story, China supplies a lot of foreign students who all pay large amounts in tuition fees to foreign universities. If those students/paying customers are scared off by such an incident then there are plenty of other Universities in different countries who'll take their money. It's damage limitation on the part of the Australian authorities.

San Migs - 2012-04-25
re: chinese students attacked in sydney

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8456758

I was sitting on the fence, but after reading this, I am pushed to comment.

What a great country and society Australia is, that it has checks and balances, whereby complaints can be addressed and issues raised.

I wonder if in China, some foreigners were beaten, would an ex pm write in english on facebook or twitter that the issue will be investigated? Hmmmm.

As usual, 6 of one and half a dozen of the other to me, and yes, foreign students do pay more and thus take aussie students places, it's the same scam in the UK sadly, and all these liberal pen pushing professors of international education are in on it, truly sickening.

Feedback or disagreements welcomed:)

Return to Index › re: chinese students attacked in sydney

Go to another board -