TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Question about Cell Phones in South Korea - ESL discussion
#1 Parent SiamSap - 2005-06-01
Finally......a response to the guy's request - ESL discussion

Thanks for the info, E. I needed that as well. One thing I can't stand about websites like this is the fact that plenty of folks will make the effort to flame you, but they won't exert the effort to provide you with info that's usable.

I've had people flame me about certain practices in the classroom....and some were people with years of experience in Korea teaching. Hey....if you have years of teaching in SK, don't be wasting your time flaming me. Tell this guy how his cell phone is gonna work when he gets to SK. After all, some of you smartasses should know--you claim to know everything else about SK.

SS

#2 Parent Elephant - 2005-05-31
Cell Phones in SK - ESL discussion

South Korea uses an entirely different setup. It's closest to Thailand's system, but you'll have to get a new phone if you go there. US phones won't work. Thailand phones won't work.

E

MangyDogsInTheCity - 2005-05-24
Question about Cell Phones in South Korea - ESL discussion

Can someone tell me how cell phone plans work in South Korea?

In the United States, one buys a cell phone, and then signs a contract (usually for a year) with a provider for the service. He pays a per-month fee to keep the service going. The number is fixed, as is the commitment to pay the per-month fee. In other words, he is stuck with his number and the phone for the contract period.

In Thailand, one buys a cell phone, and then he buys a special chip that has a phone number encoded in it that allows him to link with the service provider. The chip is installed in the phone, and the owner buys debit-type phone cards to continue service. No contracts are signed, and one can change his number anytime he wishes by simply buying a new chip.
He can also opt out of service by simply not recharging his account when he runs out of time on his account.

Can someone tell me how cell service works in South Korea?

Thanks a bunch,

Mangy Dog

Return to Index › Question about Cell Phones in South Korea - ESL discussion

Go to another board -