TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Contract advice please! - ESL discussion
#1 Parent Joanna - 2005-06-08
Contract advice - ESL discussion

Hi Halla,
My advice is that you should try to negotiate with them to have them pay all your utilies including the internet. For where i worked, i just had to pay for my electricity and phone bill. For a teaching job in Beijing, i would think that they would offer better deals for teachers to teacher there!

so again, negotiate first b/c i really think you can get better deals that what they offered, and as for the plane tickets, make sure that you request that you buy the plane tickets and not them, only have them reimburse you the money! please keep that in mind, i myself had the problem with my plane ticket when i was teaching in China...So make sure you state that YOU'LL buy the plane ticket and not them!

#2 Parent jinchafa - 2005-06-02
Re: Contract advice please - ESL discussion

Hi Halla,
Forget about it. Moreover, definitely don't even consider signing a contract until you've seen your apartment. Yes, you can negotiate to have all your utilities paid. In fact, you should negotiate for that as well as having a computer in your apartment and your internet paid. Also, you should make sure they will have a water dispenser in your apt. with water provided at their cost. In regards to the salary, it is way below what you should accept for Beijing where the cost of living is much higher than other places in China. Not only that, in my opinion, Beijing is nothing to jump up and shout about. It's a hustling, bustling city and cool if you like that sort of thing. However, my advice would be to ease your way into the whole China thing by finding a job in an area that's not quite so fast paced.
Most importantly though, be very careful about working with agents and be very selective about whom you choose to work for. If they won't negotiate with you, forget about them. Search through the archives here at eslteachersboard and you'll find lots of useful information.
One last thing. If the contract has a breach clause, that's to protect them - not you. A contract is generally not worth the paper it's written on and is there only for their benefit. Don't agree to any penalties whatsoever. If you need to leave, for whatever the reason, you need to have the leeway to do so.
Good luck.

#3 Parent Felix - 2005-06-02
Re-China contract. - ESL discussion

Yes, you can negotiate for your utilities or some to be paid if luck is on your way. In any case your contract is reasonable.

Halla Mohieddeen - 2005-06-02
Contract advice please! - ESL discussion

Hi,

I've been sent a contract from my (hopefully) new employer. As a teacher in a University in Beijing, I'll get 5500 RMB. If I complete a year, I get 5000RMB airfare home (which works out at 330?!). I do get accommodation, but I have to pay for water, gas, internet and telephone). There's also a breach clause (which appears to be 2-way) including penalties of 1500 - 2000 USD.

I'm new to this ESL business, and am very new to China. If anyone has any advice, please let me know. Is this a good deal, or a bad one? Can I negotiate to get all my utilities paid for? Should I accept this or not???

Please let me know,

Halla

halla_mohieddeen@yahoo.co.uk

Return to Index › Contract advice please! - ESL discussion

Go to another board -